Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Wrong... 99% of the people supported Qaddafi...

July 1, 2011 Gaddafi's Speech to Libya and the World, 1 of 2
Well, that is simply NOT true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read that a lot of those rebels were ex-AQ who fought with the US in Iraq.
With no numbers given though..it's left up to the reader to decide how much was homegrown vs how much was instigated by an outside group.
Up to the reader? You mean up to you.... I'd rather have actual facts to be honest with you.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Up to the reader? You mean up to you.... I'd rather have actual facts to be honest with you.
So would I but that's what the article said and I did want to make sure it was noted.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Daily Kos: 16 Things Libyans Will Never See Again (there's no #14 in the list though, so it's really 15.)

Gaddafi was planning to introduce a 'Gold Dinar' currency which would have redefined the global financial system. I can't imagine the US being happy about that.

Gaddafi gold-for-oil, dollar-doom plans behind Libya 'mission'? - YouTube

*puts on his conspiracy theorist hat*
Thank you for being one of the chosen that pursues the truth, instead of just consuming the propoganda they feed us. Gaddafi was good for Libya, and wanted independence and prosperity for all of Africa.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
gaddafi was good for libya, and wanted independence and prosperity for all of africa.
lol :d :d :d

Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I stopped watching that piece of rubbish when it got to Lockerbie.

Do you have any knowledge as to how countries where the population is made up of tribes? These countries function on tribal mentality and ritual.

Ghaddafi came to power through a military coup. This was one tribe against another tribe. In a country which is made up of various tribes, and you want to retain power, you take care of the tribes. For your own tribe, you get loyalty, from other tribes you get what you hope is peace for as long as you are in power. And when you are sitting on a tremendous amount of oil, you can take care of the people very well. That's why he lasted as long as he did. His mistake was educating people. Many people who left for an education outside of Libya remained out of the country because of the suppression. Many returned during the revolution and I'm sure many will continue to return - to be part of a country that is free to practice democracy. But don't get me wrong, the tribal mentality will still exist. It's something that has been instilled in them from a very early age.
If you watch video's like this, perhaps you would be more well-informed.
Gaddafi worked with the tribal elders, over 1000 tribes, they were all Libyans. He believed in direct democracy, eveything he did was to promote excellence for his people and his country. He worked toward an indpendent Africa, free of the chains that enslave the rest of us. He paid dearly for that dream.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The US put Ghaddafi in power. After Ghaddafi was in power, the US protected him from overthrow on three separate occasions.

When Ghaddafi refused to kiss US ass, the US went after him, and Ghaddafi responded in the only way he could, which is what you call "terrorism."

The US tried to murder Ghaddafi by shooting down his private plane as it flew through Italian air-space, but they shot down an Italian passenger airliner instead and murdered some 80-odd people or so.

Who says they're Libyan?

Yeah, well I'm sure the new government will immediately discontinue all of Ghaddafi's social programs and immediately start transferring wealth to the US.

That's a lie.

When Christians were slaughtering and expelling Jews from their countries, the Jews fled to the only safe places on Earth where they could be treated with dignity and respect and not be murdered and have their property confiscated, and that was Muslim countries, then later the Ottoman Empire. The Muslims protected the Jews for centuries and centuries, about 13 centuries to be exact.

The only other peoples who offered sancturary to the Jews were Slavs, Greeks, Magyars and Romanians. That's why Jews were all over Eastern Europe in Russia, Ukraine, Cheha, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Poland, because they fled persecution in the Catholic and Protestant countries in the "Enlightened" West.

That's not to say that Eastern Orthodox Christians were saints. Jews could own land and have money and transact business in relative peace and security, but there were occasional pogroms that disrupted Jewish life, and Jews were often murdered.

Living amongst the Slavs, Magyars, Greeks and Romanians was certainly safer than living in Catholic and Protestant lands, but not nearly as safe as living in Muslim lands.

In the Ottoman Empire, Jews could hold any cabinet or government position except Minister of the Interior and ambassadorships, which where reserved solely for Ottomans.

Conflict between Jews and Muslims, and in particular Arabs did not arise until the West started meddling in the Middle East at the end of WW I.
That's very interesting. I trust you know your history. What plane was that, that we shot down trying to kill Gaddafi? Why haven't I heard about this?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Was Gaddafi really a bad man or did US/UK/France help bump him off for political reasons?

Yes he was.
No, he was not!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 PM

588 posts, read 948,468 times
He was bad but it wasn't our business getting involved. Whoever takes his place will probably be worse.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times
You know I don't recall reading anyone getting all worked up and overwrought when the Italians took a little street justice to ll Duce. No Youtube but a lot of pictures nontheless:

Execution of Mussolini

Or for that matter when Comrade Nicolae Ceauşescu met an impromptu demise:

LiveLeak.com - Nicolae Ceausescu Execution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies