Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,166,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"Who hires these people anyway?"

hispanics
I know he was just pushing buttons but I was serious. When I am on hold for like 20 minutes to speak to code enforcement or someone in the water department and I get someone where the conversation consists of "Could you repeat that", "I am sorry, I can't understand what you are saying" for like 15 minutes it gets a little old. I would call that not qualified for the job. They get maybe half the work done someone who can understand the language would because of all that wasted time.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,480,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"well the name of this state is a Spanish term "Pascua Florida' or Flowery Easter...suck it up & learn Spanish you {deleted}

hell no! you all learn english!!! YOU came here. adapt. i'm so sick of this crap here in orlando. i am the only white person in wal-mart. all i hear is spanish, raggaeton, loud mufflers, and young punks walking around with their ny yankee hats on sideways. makes me cringe at times.

why do you think so namy good floridians are leaving??? we are becoming out-numbered!!! many are moving to nc, sc, tn, and ga. nicer ppl, better drivers, same pay but lower cost of living, and no need to "habla espanol."

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT 100 PERCENT. We moved to Louisiana to get away, but now I heard that the hIspanic Population is growing here too. It sickens me as well, and I hope the government does something. I will NOT embrace the Hispanic culture as was said in a post-I will not give in!

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-24-2007 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: (orphaned posts)

Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,522,174 times
simma down now guys! I was joking! Let me preface by saying this first: i'm a bilingual hispanic raised in Florida. That being said English comes first to me & then my family's native tongue however the immigration debate has fawned a lot of hysteria.

backtofla you must be speaking of New York Ricans and I'm pretty sure you would have a coronary in Miami (even though it's mostly cubans instead & we prefer salsa music!)

Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,192,477 times
"backtofla you must be speaking of New York Ricans"

bingo, bango, bongo! my neighbor who is from pr, and is very nice btw, and even he said he cant stand all the pr'ans moving to orlando, spiking the crime, and acting the way they do.

my bad, didnt know u were kidding before.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 AM

894 posts, read 4,339,507 times
I lived in Cooper City since 1992, and before that in Pembroke Pines since 1980. Last year I went to Macy's at the Pembroke Lakes Mall and was approached by 2 seperate sales people in spanish. Made my skin crawl. I went to the store manager to complain, and guess what? He was hispanic as well.

What bothers me the most is when it is imposed on me and I am expected to understand. Our ancestors came here and they learned the official language
of the United States...ENGLISH. They spoke their native tongue in the home.

My husband grew up in Hialeah back in the 60's and 70's and learned "spanglish" When we go to mexico, or the islands, the workers appreciate that he is trying to communicate with them in their country. Can't say the same in south florida.

We moved to north Atlanta, and the only time I hear spanish is occasionally in Wal-Mart. (hate walmart but ya know...) The rest of the time it is nothing but good all american english speaking people. Music to my ears!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,474,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Exactly. If one moves to Korea, Japan, China, Germany, or France, they aren't going to cater to your every whim b/c you don't know their language.

America though should also wake up & put some emphasis on teaching Spanish in public schools are part of the curriculum as they do with English in Asian & European countries. They do this due to business not due to political correctness.
I took Spanish in highschool, 2 years of it, it was required.. I can't get out one sentence, firstly you never use it, mostly becasuse I'm hard pressed to find a single spanish speaking person up here, well actually its hard to find anyone who's not white as the town is 95% white? But why do I refuse to learn spanish? Because I live in America, where we speak English, cause thats our language. You want to come to this country you speak OUR language, they didn't land in Little Mexico , or Little Cuba, no they landed in America.. You wanna be a part of it, then join the rest of us and speak it, or starve cause you can't order your food in english. I'm tired of catering to these people and then everyone complains that nobody speaks english in stores, they can't order their food etc. Make then learn it , or don't hire them for a job.. They know how to learn it, my husband is a police officer and a crime would happen in Immokalee and all the sudden nobody spoke english to give a report about what happen.. The minute my husband said "go to jail" EVERYBODY knew how to speak it. You'd be very surprised at how they play you for the fool. Very surprised.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,084,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
Well I have had my first experience in Lake County (in the USA for that matter outside of the tourist areas) with an employee not speaking English, and no I did not just climb out from under a rock. I was in a buffet restaurant and there were no more forks. I went up to a lady cleaning the tables to request forks, when she turned and looked at me and said "no speak English". What? Is this Miami? I was a little taken aback, then used sign language to get my point across. I guess I have to learn to mime when I need services. Well I know one Spanish speaking lady that now can say "fork".

Yes, Lake County is definitely being impacted. I went to a new Walmart at Four Corners a couple of years ago and asked for something in the housewares department. Two employees just looked at each other, understanding nothing of what I was saying. Apparently I was the one speaking the foreign language.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 AM

431 posts, read 2,122,044 times
Default It's about the $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
keep up with current "events," it's called Globalisation. The American worker must be more productive, thence compete with foreign work force.
It has nothing to do with whether or not americans are productive or not. It's about money. dinero. cash. Corporate greed is rampant and they are outsourcings jobs to pay less in wages. I guess you can't blame them. But in the end, we suffer because we are losing jobs. As for the reason why immigrants don't try to learn english, it's because this country makes it convenient for them not to have to learn, especially if your main language is Spanish. You can do anything and everything in this country if you speak spanish. Call up any 800# and there is an option to press 2 for spanish. Go to motor vehicles, no problem. want a mortgage? no problem. Think the US will some day close the border? Not a chance in hell. If they wanted to, they would have by now.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM

79 posts, read 369,114 times
(deleted)
All jokes aside, I agree with BackToFla, because I know that living in a community where you are all white can make you feel really out of place... Of course the gangsta image many of the youth exhibit is rather frightening not to mention incredibly unsophisticated. I'll be honest, if you want to move to a better place, the only thing you can do is earn a better living. Because these migrants will never stop coming here unless our govt decides to do something about it. The more money you make, the higher-class neighborhood you will be able to afford... And while you may see coloreds there, they will be wealthy indians who own hotels and 7-11s while holding an engineering degree, and you will see jewish doctors and lawyers, and chinese professors, and eastern europeans who excel in various technical industries.. But if you can't afford anything but a mediocre $150,000 home, then you will no doubt live in a place where OTHER 'Ricans or Mexicans live, because that's all that both of you can afford...

There are plenty of towns across America that are all white...

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-24-2007 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,192,477 times
"But if you can't afford anything but a mediocre $150,000 home, then you will no doubt live in a place where OTHER 'Ricans or Mexicans live, because that's all that both of you can afford... "

uhh, our income is approx 100k b/w my wife and i, and we are in our mid twenties. i'd say that's not too shabby. we live in east east orlando, where homes are anywhere from 250k for a condo to over $1mm. my subdivision consists of homes b/w $300k and $400k in this market.

"The more money you make, the higher-class neighborhood you will be able to afford..."

we make plenty of money, as you can see. and the problem in this (my)neighborhood still exists. it is what much of fla has become. unless you live in jupiter, pbg, or the likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies