Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times

Advertisements

With all the conservatives on this forum opposing democracy in the middle east and supporting dicators, I had to ask:

1. Do you think that Muslims, as a group, should be stopped from forming democratic governments?
2. Do you think they are undeserving/unprepared to handle a democratic government?
3. And what do you think of middle eastern dictators? Were Mubarak and Qadafi (and Assad) good people who brought stability, or were they bad people who nonetheless served a pragmatic purpose?

Personally, I'm adopting the "wait and see" attitude toward this whole Arab spring. I can understand why people are worried, (with Iran and all)but I also think that these dictators had what was coming to them, that it was going to happen eventually and, unlike the far right posters, I simply cannot feel sorry for Qadafi and his ilk.

Anyway, what do you all think? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
With all the conservatives on this forum opposing democracy in the middle east and supporting dicators, I had to ask:

1. Do you think that Muslims, as a group, should be stopped from forming democratic governments?
2. Do you think they are undeserving/unprepared to handle a democratic government?
3. And what do you think of middle eastern dictators? Were Mubarak and Qadafi (and Assad) good people who brought stability, or were they bad people who nonetheless served a pragmatic purpose?

Personally, I'm adopting the "wait and see" attitude toward this whole Arab spring. I can understand why people are worried, (with Iran and all)but I also think that these dictators had what was coming to them, that it was going to happen eventually and, unlike the far right posters, I simply cannot feel sorry for Qadafi and his ilk.

The Neocons sure don't. They yearn for the dictators like the Shah of Iran, and Mubarek of Egypt. The consider the fairly elected leadership of occupied Palestine illegitimate as well.

When they are bad mouthing Arabs for not being Democratic....feel free to laugh in their face....I do.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Your post is full of factual errors. These rebellions were started by Western intelligence, for one. Second, the dictators that were in place in recent times were the direct result of CIA/MI6/Mossad interference in installing these dictators. Nowadays, these dictators went off the reservation and actually were pretty secular especially compared to Iran, and now being replaced with people that would make the Taliban smile. You and padcrasher would change your tunes and be decry Western interference in these rebellions if it took place during the Bush Admin. Go Team, right fellas?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Your post is full of factual errors. These rebellions were started by Western intelligence, for one. Second, the dictators that were in place in recent times were the direct result of CIA/MI6/Mossad interference in installing these dictators. Nowadays, these dictators went off the reservation and actually were pretty secular especially compared to Iran, and now being replaced with people that would make the Taliban smile
Sensible post.....now what was I ringing your neck for a few days ago? ...I forgot.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,017,386 times
It's not like our record of electing people to any office, from the city, county, state and federal levels are any better.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Sensible post.....now what was I ringing your neck for a few days ago? ...I forgot.
I forget too. But, that's water under the bridge in any case

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I think Muslims should be free to choose their own governments.

They should also facilitate changes in government on their own rather than depending on the US to bomb their existing governments into oblivion.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
Quote:
The Neocons sure don't. They yearn for the dictators like the Shah of Iran, and Mubarek of Egypt. The consider the fairly elected leadership of occupied Palestine illegitimate as well.

When they are bad mouthing Arabs for not being Democratic....feel free to laugh in their face....I do.
Elect who the hell you want. But when the Palestinians elect Neo-Nazis they have no right to whine that their Jewish neighbors view them as Nazis.

Shrug.

I can only image your outrage of Americans elected David Duke to head our country . . . why should Muslims be treated any differently when that's what they do?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,755 times
people have their eight to choose their leaders. Period. That what democracy is

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:

The neoprogs yearn for upheaval in the Middle East with the interfernece of UN and NATO forces so the US taxpayer can be stuck with the bill of "nation building" and building/handing over new oil facilities (because the old ones were not up to par) to the big oil corporations who in turn make money for the global banks.

Since when did humanitarian efforts include 7+ months of bombing from the air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies