Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
For profit colleges accepted anyone regardless of their academic potential. These colleges were simply a conduit of funding to enrich themselves. Public Universities, on the other hand, admit students according to their academic (not financial) potential.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/ma...pagewanted=all
So what, we are ignoring the fact that private, not-for-profit universities perform better overall than public not-for-profit institutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm still trying to decide if there will in fact there will be serious ramifications to a student loan bubble burst. Banks and taxpayers will be lefting holding the tab if millions of students default, no doubt, but defaulting on a loan may in fact increase graduates' disposable income by a few percentage points, and thus contribute a little more to the economy. Granted, credit scores will hit rock bottom, and obtaining credit will be nearly impossible for about 7 years, but I have trouble believing that defaulted student loans will hold down the economy in ways similar to the housing default, whereas an underwater/defaulted loan has far reaching effects in many sectors of our economy.

I'll be glad to listen to other opinions on this though.
I believe that, you cannot default on federal student loans. The debt is never forgiven, and you can't declare bankruptcy. Someone factcheck me that

Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
In May 2010 the New York Times reported on the case of Cortney Munna, who graduated from New York University with $100,000 in debt. Of course, the Times could have chosen a great many individuals to profile for such a story; the number of people leaving college with over $40,000 in debt had increased ninefold over the previous decade. Munna and her mother bought into the propaganda: forget about the money you’re spending on college, since the rewards you’ll reap will far surpass them. In fact, she barely scrapes by, working for a photographer. That plus her degree in religious and women’s studies is what her $100,000 investment yielded her.
But perhaps we are being too cynical: what about the extra $1 million that college graduates are supposed to earn over their lifetimes compared to their high-school graduate counterparts? Forbes tackled that one, too. The $1 million figure is arrived at by taking the difference in annual income between college graduates and high school graduates, and multiplying it by the 40 years of the average working life. Where this claim falls short is that it assumes that the additional income earned by college graduates is caused by the college education, when it more likely reflects the fact that smarter, more motivated people are more likely to go to college in the first place.
Meanwhile, the combination of compound interest and low salaries is leaving wreckage everywhere. The four-year cost of undergraduate tuition, room, board, books, and fees at a public university is $46,700, and $99,900 at a private one, even after financial aid and scholarships are included. That also doesn’t include four years’ worth of foregone income – in other words, another $125,000. Bankruptcy won’t save these poor souls: college debt is one category of loans that cannot be written off in bankruptcy proceedings. They’ll follow you forever.
Of course, it is the subsidies themselves that push tuition costs ever higher. Here’s the obvious point everyone pretends not to realize: colleges know the students have access to low-interest loans courtesy of government. Aware that prospective students enjoy artificially increased purchasing power, college administrations raise tuition (and cut back their own aid programs) accordingly. When tuition thus continues to rise, as any fool could predict, we hear huzzahs for the government – for however could students pay this high tuition without government assistance? It is the classic case, as Harry Browne said, of the government breaking your leg, handing you a crutch, and saying, “See? Without me you couldn’t walk.”
The Student Loan Racket: Ron Paul Right Again | Tom Woods

Good article on the subject of this thread.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This. It's simple supply and demand. Student loan programs also create inefficiencies in the labor markets by encouraging those who shouldn't be in college, to go to college.

While I believe students should be encouraged to do some form of terciary education after high school, that does not and should not necessarily be a university education.

If you want to be an electrician, going to college is a waste, especially that first year when you take all those liberal arts classes.
Liberal arts classes are a waste? Such an education produced intellects like William F. Buckley. The classic curriculum goes back to Plato; the lack of it leaves the populace lazy thinkers, gullible and those unable to articulate their ideas or extrapolate on the ideas of others.

History of Liberal Education | eHow.com

Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I believe that, you cannot default on federal student loans. The debt is never forgiven, and you can't declare bankruptcy. Someone factcheck me that
True and this why government will be unwilling to end it's debt slave program.
Anyone who thinks our government is about educating society, has fallen prey to it's propaganda.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So what, we are ignoring the fact that private, not-for-profit universities perform better overall than public not-for-profit institutions?
It is the for profit universities that caused the problem.

Quote:
Once students graduate from for-profit colleges, they often find themselves ill-prepared for the job market. "This is because, in many cases, they don’t get the skills they need to compete," The Washington Monthly reports. Though some proprietary schools offer a good education, "it's far easier and less expensive for schools to boost enrollment numbers through aggressive advertising and recruitment than to expend the resources to build quality schools."
The for-profit college swindle | PRI.ORG

Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're right, you can't shed a student loan. They're literally with you until paid off or you die. Wages can be garnished though. But, 15% maximum wage garnishment is actually alot less than many student loan payments. I've known students who were actually relieved to have wage garnishment. It kept the collection agencies from harrassing them, and they were paying something towards the loan. But other than that, that's about the worst that can happen to a person beyond having a terrible credit history. So with that being said, the increase in disposable income may actually help the economy, which I think is vastly different than the circumstances that surround people with upside down housing loans.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm still trying to decide if there will in fact there will be serious ramifications to a student loan bubble burst. Banks and taxpayers will be lefting holding the tab if millions of students default, no doubt, but defaulting on a loan may in fact increase graduates' disposable income by a few percentage points, and thus contribute a little more to the economy. Granted, credit scores will hit rock bottom, and obtaining credit will be nearly impossible for about 7 years, but I have trouble believing that defaulted student loans will hold down the economy in ways similar to the housing default, whereas an underwater/defaulted loan has far reaching effects in many sectors of our economy.

I'll be glad to listen to other opinions on this though.
If students default on their loans, investors who bought student loan securities, etc., go down. It'll be the housing and mortgage bubble burst all over again.

That's why the government made student loan debt non-dischargeable, even in bankruptcy.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

He's right...and this ought to make the OWS crowd happy. They have been whining about student loan debt.

Yes, government should never be in the loan business.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If students default on their loans, investors who bought student loan securities, etc., go down. It'll be the housing and mortgage bubble burst all over again.

That's why the government made student loan debt non-dischargeable, even in bankruptcy.
Non-dischargeable doesn't mean that the loan will be repaid. Non-dischargeable just provides a first layer of defense to keep the irresponsible from discharging on a whim, not an insurance policy towards actually getting loan repayment. The absolute most that can be taken from someone who refuses to pay back a student loan is 15% wage garnishment. Banks/investors/taxpayers are left holding the rest of the tab. So what exactly do you feel will happen if the bubble bursts? Who/what in the economy will be affected by massive loan defaults?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to understand what we can expect if the bubble does burst? I don't really see the parallels with the housing industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies