Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good. Until people on Medicare and Social Security accept mandatory drug testing, it should be considered unconstitutional for everybody.

Right-wingers just want to punish people who are down on their luck. That's the way they always operate. Don't have a job? It's your own fault! Don't have health insurance? Then you deserve to die on the street!
I am a senior citizen. I will gladly be drug tested every week if that is required. I still pay tax on my SS and I want my money spent on people that are not spending welfare benefits for drugs. Because drugs are a deteriment to getting and holding a job, therefore, providing for your children and oneself. Why should I have to continue to work when I am old and some slackers get a free ride on welfare benefits......?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM

227 posts, read 140,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
legalize drugs and outlaw the redistribution of funds stolen from the working class.Problem solved.

works for me

Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What you can say? How about "I won't write any more sweeping and idiotic generalizations." That would be a good start.
Nah I'm good. A large portion of liberals say stupid **** like that and I like to keep my responses short. I also made a sweeping and idiotic generalization about conservatives so let's just call it even.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nah I'm good. A large portion of liberals say stupid **** like that and I like to keep my responses short. I also made a sweeping and idiotic generalization about conservatives so let's just call it even.
Fair enough. But this was a perfect opportunity to point out stupidity on both ends of the spectrum had you chosen to.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If you're concerned about your "privacy" being infringed upon, then don't apply for or accept welfare. Pretty simple. Nobody is forcing them partake in drug testing. It's simply a requirement if you want the free money that comes with it.

Why do liberals support illegal drug use?
Everything comes with a price......I think you laid it out pretty simply. Unfortunately, the world doesn't operate this way anymore....good post.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good. Until people on Medicare and Social Security accept mandatory drug testing, it should be considered unconstitutional for everybody.
There is a HUGE difference between SS/Medicare and welfare. The first is a MANDATORY program for employees, and you pay through the nose every time you get a paycheck (even if you are poor), and probably will get very little back from the program since it has been grossly mismanaged and was doomed by demographics from the outset.

Welfare is FREE MONEY that you didn't earn. So a drug test is hardly an "intrusion" on privacy--if you want to be private about your drug use, don't ask the taxpayer to support you. If employers can make employees take drug tests, obviously Welfare should require its beneficiaries to do so.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Why do some liberals have so little respect for the voters and taxpayers of Florida? The taxpayers have sent a clear message, that they want to ensure that money taken from them is not given to those that take illegal drugs. What about their rights with regard to how their money is spent?

This will most likely go to a higher court on appeal. Lets hope the next level of judges are a little brighter.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I am a senior citizen. I will gladly be drug tested every week if that is required. I still pay tax on my SS and I want my money spent on people that are not spending welfare benefits for drugs. Because drugs are a deteriment to getting and holding a job, therefore, providing for your children and oneself. Why should I have to continue to work when I am old and some slackers get a free ride on welfare benefits......?
That is what bothers me is the assumption that those who receive welfare are slackers or drug addicts. I've never lived in a big city with low income project-type housing nor seen people on food stamps driving luxury vehicles so I am not an expert on the welfare class, but I have met many women struggling to survive without child support from their husbands. We need to crack down on deadbeat dads, and force them to work for their families as well as train women for jobs that pay a living wage. We need to make contraception available so that our teens girls don't get manipulated into having babies for boys who claim to love them. Young girls are gullible and the cycle of welfare often starts with teen pregnancy.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM

227 posts, read 140,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
That is what bothers me is the assumption that those who receive welfare are slackers or drug addicts. I've never lived in a big city with low income project-type housing nor seen people on food stamps driving luxury vehicles so I am not an expert on the welfare class, but I have met many women struggling to survive without child support from their husbands. We need to crack down on deadbeat dads, and force them to work for their families as well as train women for jobs that pay a living wage. We need to make contraception available so that our teens girls don't get manipulated into having babies for boys who claim to love them. Young girls are gullible and the cycle of welfare often starts with teen pregnancy.

nicely put. deadbeat parents are the root cause of most of societies problems

Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A lawsuit filed in federal court by Navy veteran and single dad Luis Lebron who refused to take the Florida's mandatory drug test to qualify for social assistance was upheld in Federal Court as being unconstitutional and and a violation of Lebron's privacy rights.

Florida Welfare Drug-Testing Law Blocked by Judge - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204777904576651441808024396.html - broken link)

The way I heard it - in a 15-second sound bite - was that the judge issued a 'stay' which puts the law on hold pending resolution of the lawsuit.

This is fairly common and doesn't represent a finding of unconstitutionality. It only means the plaintiff(s)' case has met certain legal standards and merits judicial scrutiny.before the law should be implemented.

It is common for people on one side or another of a legal issue to celebrate preliminary rulings in their favor of this sort, but celebration is premature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies