Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

New laws will allow polygamy.

New laws will more closely follow Sharia law.

Well according to the interim leader of Libya,but then what does he know compared to the enormous intelligence here at CD....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Really? Like the:

German Democratic Republic,
People's Republic of Bulgaria,
People's Republic of Hungary,
People's Republic of Poland,
People's Republic of Romania,
Soviet Union,
Argentina,
Bolivia,
Chile,
Columbia,
Costa Rica,
Dominican Republic,
Ecuador,
El Salvador,
Honduras,
Paraguay,
Iraq,
South Korea,
Italy,
Spain,
France,
Japan,

or

Portugal?
Or

Afghanistan
Burma
Cambodia
Central African Republic
China
Congo
Cuba
Ethiopia
Haiti
Iran
Iraq (overthrow of the monarchy)
Laos
Liberia
Russia
Serbia
Somalia
Syria
South Vietnam
Uganda
Zimbabwe

I should also add that most of the Latin American countries you named had a series of dictators who usually overthrew the previous dictator. I am not saying that overthrowing dictators is a bad thing (although you probably think I am), I'm saying that history shows there is at least as good of a chance of the next ruler(s) in Libya maintaining tyranny. Maybe, just maybe, we should wait to see how these people will act before claiming they will usher in a new era of human rights into the country.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
What Qaddafi did in 1969 was overthrow a monarchy. The Libyan constitution proposed in 1969 establishing an Islamic republic was just that and nothing more. Now that Qaddafi is out of the picture, there's no reason to assume that his constitution must remain in effect--which seems to be the way everyone is thinking. A new government could propose a new legal standing.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Then Libya must have demanded it in the past. As I already explained, it is up to the countries to interprept the sharia law (or any law) and decide what is demanded and what is not. Some interprept it more strictly than others. It is rather simple, Taliban interprepted it to the letter, and Turkey very liberally. I also already told you homosexuality has always been a crime in Libya, and in pretty much every Muslim country in the world. Why weren't you speaking for gay rights for Libyans before? Were was the outrage? We have sodomy laws in US. Where is the outrage?

The funny thing is that you cry for Libyan gay rights before you know what kind of law they will have in Libya. Basically you are crying over nothing.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What Qaddafi did in 1969 was overthrow a monarchy. The Libyan constitution proposed in 1969 establishing an Islamic republic was just that and nothing more. Now that Qaddafi is out of the picture, there's no reason to assume that his constitution must remain in effect--which seems to be the way everyone is thinking. A new government could propose a new legal standing.
They didn't have a constitution, which ensured no one could change the political system. They also did not have free speech.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
really i think the point that is being missed is that the US spent at least 1 billion dollars getting involved in a foreign affair in libya which they had NO idea how it would turn out, and still do not. if we had no idea how it would turn out and aren't planning on "intervening", why get involved in the first place? what kind of hypocrisy is this?
Perhaps the kind of hypocrisy of not standing idly by while hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people are shot down by a murderous tyrant when you have the means and opportunity to do something about it.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then Libya must have demanded it in the past.
It did,din't you bother reading the link?

Quote:
As I already explained, it is up to the countries to interprept the sharia law (or any law) and decide what is demanded and what is not. Some interprept it more strictly than others. It is rather simple, Taliban interprepted it to the letter, and Turkey very liberally. I also already told you homosexuality has always been a crime in Libya, and in pretty much every Muslim country in the world. Why weren't you speaking for gay rights for Libyans before? Were was the outrage? We have sodomy laws in US. Where is the outrage?
Where is your outrage for the lack of gay rights now?
Why did you support a movement that is in favor of even stricter Sharia laws?

Quote:
The funny thing is that you cry for Libyan gay rights before you know what kind of law they will have in Libya. Basically you are crying over nothing.
Perhaps you should listen to the interim leader of Libya?

Or simply spout off.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the kind of hypocrisy of not standing idly by while hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people are shot down by a murderous tyrant when you have the means and opportunity to do something about it.
What about the hypocrisy of working with a tyrant that is killing his own people,but is on 'our side'?

I guess it is different then.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
have I missed you speaking out against Obama's indiscriminate drone attacks and resulting body count of innocents in Pakistan?

Or are you simply practicing your own brand of hypocrisy?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It did,din't you bother reading the link?
So, where was your outrage? Why do you keep saying things were so great under Gadaffi?

Quote:
Where is your outrage for the lack of gay rights now?
I am not a big supporter of gay rights. I believe marriage is between a man and woman.

Quote:
Why did you support a movement that is in favor of even stricter Sharia laws?
No one knows how strict they will be, so please so please do not pretend to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies