Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Who invented the census? I assume it is quite an old ritual and nobody has simply dared to remove those questions from the forms yet.

The taking of a census is mandated by the constitution. However, instead of getting simpler, the forms and classifications have gotten longer and longer!

Really though, the census is self explanatory. It CLEARLY distinguishes between race and ethnicity. "Hispanic/Latino" is designated under the "ethnicity" part. A person can choose "mixed" if they identify as a mixed race Latino. They can also choose white, black, Asian, WHATEVER, and STILL Be a "hispanic" under the census.

And really, politically, what people identify with is just as, if not more, important, than what they actually are by the mathematics of genetics.

Yet the media over here perpetuates "Hispanic as a race" fallacy. "Hispanics set to overtake blacks as most numerous minority..." "Minority growth fueled by Hispanic births..."

Minority of what? Not being descended from people who came DIRECTLY from Europe or Africa or Asia? A minority group with the common denominator being their countries of origin were once owned by Spain? Sometimes I feel like people just use it as shorthand for "Mexican" and forget that the vast majority of Latin America and the "hispanic" world (outside of the United States) is NOT Mexican!

Most journalists are simply not smart enough to understand the difference, and Americans are by and large not travelled enough to understand!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Everything

Many Asians & Middle easterners do have sub saharan African blood & mixture.
When I lived in Hawaii I was taken for part-Chinese, local Hawaiian, Egyptian, Fijian, and "what are you?"

Old 10-25-2011, 01:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The taking of a census is mandated by the constitution. However, instead of getting simpler, the forms and classifications have gotten longer and longer!

Really though, the census is self explanatory. It CLEARLY distinguishes between race and ethnicity. "Hispanic/Latino" is designated under the "ethnicity" part. A person can choose "mixed" if they identify as a mixed race Latino. They can also choose white, black, Asian, WHATEVER, and STILL Be a "hispanic" under the census.

And really, politically, what people identify with is just as, if not more, important, than what they actually are by the mathematics of genetics.

Yet the media over here perpetuates "Hispanic as a race" fallacy. "Hispanics set to overtake blacks as most numerous minority..." "Minority growth fueled by Hispanic births..."

Minority of what? Not being descended from people who came DIRECTLY from Europe or Africa or Asia? A minority group with the common denominator being their countries of origin were once owned by Spain? Sometimes I feel like people just use it as shorthand for "Mexican" and forget that the vast majority of Latin America and the "hispanic" world (outside of the United States) is NOT Mexican!

Most journalists are simply not smart enough to understand the difference, and Americans are by and large not travelled enough to understand!
Yes, that's funny since Hispanics may be black themselves

Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's funny since Hispanics may be black themselves
Exactly!

Granted, over 50% of "Hispanics" in America are Mexican, and the vast majority of those that find there way here via illegal immigration, etc. tend to be mestizo (or very often, pure indigenous), but nobody should read anything into the "Hispanic" or "Latino" label in and of itself.

It's like saying you know what race I am or what I look like because I'm American! Quick! Tell me what I look like knowing I'm American!

Same thing with "Latino" or "Hispanic"... if I tell you I'm of Hispanic descent, describe what you think I look like!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Interestingly, even in a place like Japan, which has the reputation of being a bit racist by nature, any ethnic reference is dropped as soon as an immigrant becomes a Japanese citizen. So an immigrant from Uganda becomes a 100% Japanese in every way, including ethnicity.
Japan does not issue passports to immigrants. They will issue permanent residency, which is not a passport, or a visa, depending on the circumstances. If a child is born where one parent holds the Japanese passport that child will be issued a passport.

Japan doesn't give away passports the way the US does.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Exactly!

Granted, over 50% of "Hispanics" in America are Mexican, and the vast majority of those that find there way here via illegal immigration, etc. tend to be mestizo (or very often, pure indigenous), but nobody should read anything into the "Hispanic" or "Latino" label in and of itself.

It's like saying you know what race I am or what I look like because I'm American! Quick! Tell me what I look like knowing I'm American!

Same thing with "Latino" or "Hispanic"... if I tell you I'm of Hispanic descent, describe what you think I look like!
You probably don't look like a Jim Fitzgerald

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Japan does not issue passports to immigrants. They will issue permanent residency, which is not a passport, or a visa, depending on the circumstances. If a child is born where one parent holds the Japanese passport that child will be issued a passport.

Japan doesn't give away passports the way the US does.
I was talking about naturalization, even though that probably is not as frequent in Japan as it is in the West.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You probably don't look like a Jim Fitzgerald

THIS guy looks like a Jim Fitzgerald, right?

Spoiler
Only it's famous Mexican Director, Guillermo Del Toro!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The USA is the only place i've been that has a seperate category for Latinos/Hispanics. It's amazing how many Americans think it's a race, even Mexican Americans. It's all that political Brown Pride B.S. the Mexican political community preaches. Once upon a time Mexicans were considered simply White, until the more indigenous population started to immigrate. Now bigoted hicks want them all out (and all Latin Americans get lumped in due to the overwhelming numbers of Mex). All that does is self isolate and prevent assimilation of all Latin Americans. I am an American who's parents were born in Puerto Rico (still America, to my knowledge never a country) with Spanish ancestry. I am not "brown" either, i'm no tanner then any Southern European I know nor are my facial features different. I hate that terminology.

Latino/Hispanic/Brown, NOT A RACE.
No it's not a race, it's an socio-ethnic category.

But there's no such thing as race either. Categories of white, black, etc are only used by the government to categorize people and are NOT valid scientific categories of human beings. Anthropologists do NOT categorize humans by race. The government should have stopped using racial categories long ago, because it gives racists validation to continue racism.

What's so damaging about being called brown?

You think there's a stigma with Latinos being called brown?

The operative word is illegal. You can be illegal from any nation on the planet, and people would still want them out.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
More likely that a lot of Latinos don't like themselves being separated from White and being put in the same group as people who are brown and short.
Latinos who could pass as Black generally do not complain about them being put in a different category from Black, yet a lot of those who are white seem to be passionate about proclaiming/defending their whiteness. They longingly look back to the days not so lang ago (up to the 1980s) when Latinos in general were automatically considered White.
Unless they're black from the Dominican Republic. Then black is the last group on earth they want to be associated with.

Spoiler
Sammy Sosa

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-lat...l-episode/165/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies