Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
there are noticable differences between hispanics and whites, which is why people think of them as 2 separate groups.

i myself prefer the hispanic female body over the white american female body though.
They are all just different groups of whites. There are even clear differences in looks between people from, say, Northern and Southern Germany, or between those from Northern and Southern Portugal. Same goes for Italy and many other 'white' countries. If one wants to adhere to that primitive race distinction, why not stick with the three races it has always been about and ask, is that person African or Asian? If not, they are white.

And yes, I agree that Latinas are on average clearly more feminine

Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Wow. Never has a "description" of terms been so wrong.

Blacks...Whites...ORIGINALLY from this country?!

You keep using that word. - YouTube
Who were the first immigrants in the country as of USA?

Its 85% British descent 10% Black African American 5% Other & Indian.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
A person from Northern Italy could easily be misidentified as Scandinavian.
A person from Sicily could easily be misidentified as black-African.

But Europeans don't matter, do they? "White" should suffice.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Haha, gringo is for American or even foreigner (not White) to my knowledge.

No of course not. Lol. I just threw the American bid at the end stating if you were born and raised here you are American not Mexican or whatever. You have Mexican ancestry, but your not a Mexican.

There are plenty of people who think Latino/Hispanic is a race. You can even do a quick google search on it. A good number of articles from around the time of the last census.
Did I say white or black in my reply?

Gringo is damaging & is not a race, so what is the OP's point?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 AM

Unlike Hispanic Gringo is not used as an official term in statistics, especially not in the US... It is simply a colloquial term almost like Krauts for Germans or Frogs for French...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
look at selena gomez for example. you guys going to convince me shes white?

tired of all this white crap. she's a biracial girl with hispanic looks.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Once upon a time Mexicans were considered simply White
What period of time was that?!?!

Quote:
Now bigoted hicks want them all out (and all Latin Americans get lumped in due to the overwhelming numbers of Mex). All that does is self isolate and prevent assimilation of all Latin Americans. I am an American who's parents were born in Puerto Rico (still America, to my knowledge never a country) with Spanish ancestry. I am not "brown" either, i'm no tanner then any Southern European I know nor are my facial features different. I hate that terminology.
I do so hate to assume that you hate the terminology because your Hispanic European whiteness has lost its exclusivity because growing up in both the South and California, I can assure you that Mexican, and Central American descendants of aboriginal and mestizo heritage have NEVER been considered white (by the way, the same holds true for Afro-Puerto Ricans, Dominicans or Cubans). In fact I am looking at a sign in my office from the Texas Restaurant Association dated 1947 that states, No Coloreds, No Dogs, and No Mexicans. In that order.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Since someone mentioned the term Caucasian, that refers to the Caucasus. When you look at people from, say, the republic of Georgia, they all have black hair there. Blond people would not even be considered Caucasians Yet another term that has been hijacked...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
look at selena gomez for example. you guys going to convince me shes white?

tired of all this white crap. she's a biracial girl with hispanic looks.
Your photo doesn't work...

Just googled her and well, she does look more white to me than anything else. She doesn't look African, nor Chinese, or Indian...
That's what happens if people feel they need to put people into drawers. As soon as someone is not this OR that but a little bit of both, you run into trouble

With Hispanics from Latin America one might ask what race the original Americans were and are as they are part of the Hispanic gene pool. Sure, their ancestors are said to have come from Siberia, but that was tens of thousands of years ago. So they are definitely not Asians...

Last edited by Neuling; 10-25-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess some people just don't like the fact that Latinos/Hispanics are whites, too. They confuse white with Nordic...
Some Latinos/Hispanics are white. Most are not.

Quote:

I remember a similar thread where I had asked if the person I was talking to thought J-Lo was white. He or she said of course not
She's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies