Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

That very example of J-Lo shows that it is ALL ABOUT the DEGREE of whiteness, not the simple question white or not. With any mixed-race person all one can do is ask, what does the person look like most if we didn't know anything about their individual ancestries? J-Lo doesn't look African, nor Asian...
Your approach reminds me of that unfortunate one drop approach. As if being white were in any way better or special and thus to be kept separate from anyone else... Mixed people like no other group of people show that race is only about pigment count and similarly superficial aspects.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I've lived in Japan. That is absolute fantasy. Even a person who is 100% ethnic Japanese but is a sansei from, say, Peru or Brazil, will never be accepted as a Japanese in Japan, no matter what his passport says. Only on paper is that true - definitely not in real life.
I agree. Even the Japanese government makes a distinction, on paper, of how many generations removed you are from Japan, and have specific words for them. They have words for pure Japanese born and raised in Japan and words for pure Japanese born and raised abroad. They escape me at the moment, and each subsequent generation has a different word.

Quote:
Couple that with the fact that the majority of Latin Americans, both in Latin America and in the USA, are mestizo (mixed European and Native) tells you that the notion that most Latinos are white is pure fantasy. Only about 20 percent of Latin America's population is actually white. The rest is nonwhite. The "how white" question is moot and irrelevant.
This I also agree with. There's no way in hell that the census is accurate when it comes to latinos self-reporting their ancestry. Most latinos will call themselves white if they are lighter than African black. Funny that, people like Obama will call themselves black even if they are 50/50, but if Obama was a typical latino, he'd call himself white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That very example of J-Lo shows that it is ALL ABOUT the DEGREE of whiteness, not the simple question white or not. With any mixed-race person all one can do is ask, what does the person look like most if we didn't know anything about their individual ancestries? J-Lo doesn't look African, nor Asian...
Your approach reminds me of that unfortunate one drop approach. As if being white were in any way better or special and thus to be kept separate from anyone else... Mixed people like no other group of people show that race is only about pigment count and similarly superficial aspects.
Mmhmm. I consider J-Lo to be mestizo. If these were colonial times in the Spanish colonies, I'd fall below the Peninsular class into the "good enough" category which is whiter than mestizo, but not 100% like the Peninsular class that the Spanish kingdom used to classify their colonial subjects and slaves.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Centuries?

Most hispanic countries are only about 200 years old from independence.

America is older than many of them.
What does the mixing have to do with the birth of nations?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I've lived in Japan. That is absolute fantasy. Even a person who is 100% ethnic Japanese but is a sansei from, say, Peru or Brazil, will never be accepted as a Japanese in Japan, no matter what his passport says. Only on paper is that true - definitely not in real life.
I was talking about statistics and things like census forms. Of course real life is another story, but that applies to the US as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
What does the mixing have to do with the birth of nations?
I never compared the two.

I only pointed out to you your time line of centuries as to only 2 not more.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Even the Japanese government makes a distinction, on paper, of how many generations removed you are from Japan, and have specific words for them. They have words for pure Japanese born and raised in Japan and words for pure Japanese born and raised abroad. They escape me at the moment, and each subsequent generation has a different word.

This I also agree with. There's no way in hell that the census is accurate when it comes to latinos self-reporting their ancestry. Most latinos will call themselves white if they are lighter than African black. Funny that, people like Obama will call themselves black even if they are 50/50, but if Obama was a typical latino, he'd call himself white.

Mmhmm. I consider J-Lo to be mestizo. If these were colonial times in the Spanish colonies, I'd fall below the Peninsular class into the "good enough" category which is whiter than mestizo, but not 100% like the Peninsular class that the Spanish kingdom used to classify their colonial subjects and slaves.
Probably because they don't think there is a separate race called Latino/Hispanic. So all they have to do is ask themselves if they feel more African or more White... And since there is a certain rivalry between Latinos and African-Americans, they probably prefer to be whites, especially since being white still brings advantages in everyday life. With mixed-race people it is about what race you FEEL you are as hardly anyone knows the results of any DNA analysis.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Probably because they don't think there is a separate race called Latino/Hispanic. So all they have to do is ask themselves if they feel more African or more White... And since there is a certain rivalry between Latinos and African-Americans, they probably prefer to be whites, especially since being white still brings advantages in everyday life. With mixed-race people it is about what race you FEEL you are as hardly anyone knows the results of any DNA analysis.
I think that's the fault of the U.S. Census which doesn't have a "brown" category like Brazil has (pardo). So, I think latinos just choose whichever is closest to their physical appearance

Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I never compared the two.

I only pointed out to you your time line of centuries as to only 2 not more.
I don't think so. In Brazil for instance there has been mixing almost since the beginning of colonization (in the early 16th century) by the Portuguese, who have always been very fond of mixing no matter where they went.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think that's the fault of the U.S. Census which doesn't have a "brown" category like Brazil has (pardo). So, I think latinos just choose whichever is closest to their physical appearance
If we have a brown category all sorts of ethnicities can fit in their from African American to middle eastern.

Many african Americans are mixed as well but are categorized wrong.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. In Brazil for instance there has been mixing almost since the beginning of colonization (in the early 16th century) by the Portuguese, who have always been very fond of mixing no matter where they went.
I said from independence.

Why isn't Haiti included the Speak French.
They are latino as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies