Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
The same can be said for this brazian rap group

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Verdade. Rappin Hood tambem..............

Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, those numbers were for Cuba as such. For exiles the percentage of whites is between 80 and 90%.
See the two tables here:
Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where are your figures from?
My figures come from being a Cuban black and from studying the culture, history and demographics of the country for a long time.

What you don't seem to realize is that as I have said many times, Latins, because of the white supremacist notions that pollute the culture, tend to "whiten" themselves when it comes to self-identification. Blacks call themselves mulatto, and mulattoes call themselves white. It is pronounced in the Dominican Republic but also Cuba and other places where there are a lot of Afro-Latinos.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, I look at it from a global perspective, to me anyone from Canada to Chile is American... So African-American to me is any American of predominantly sub-Saharan genetic origin. Some are US Americans, some Haitians, some Brazilians, sure...
That makes sense when referring to culture or history in a macro sense, but referring to Latinos and Caribbeans as African Americans is wrong because only the U.S. population has that as an ethnic distinction.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Im from Sweden and so is my who family. But I look like ai could be Spanish or south European or even South American. People mistake me for being Hispanic all the time. Somehow, even though I know I technicly is white, I almost feel like I am lying.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My figures come from being a Cuban black and from studying the culture, history and demographics of the country for a long time.

What you don't seem to realize is that as I have said many times, Latins, because of the white supremacist notions that pollute the culture, tend to "whiten" themselves when it comes to self-identification. Blacks call themselves mulatto, and mulattoes call themselves white. It is pronounced in the Dominican Republic but also Cuba and other places where there are a lot of Afro-Latinos.
When you are Cuban, you are likely to have some white ancestry yourself, even if you don't know it. Just like most blacks in the US. Purity cuts both ways...
In the new world there is just no point anymore in saying I am black, I am white, etc. You are increasingly one mixed mess in a positive sense
I like that a lot and wish things were like that over here, too. A couple of days ago I was watching CSI Miami. There is a detective on their staff, Eric something, that guy is really hard to classify.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:

I think Puerto Rico is guilty of this as well. On the US Census 75% of Puerto Ricans self-identify as white. Well, I'm actually from there and the number should be closer to no more than 40% and that's a big stretch. The vast majority are mestizo with varying amounts of "whiteness". I'm sure our governor Luis Fortuño considers himself to be white, but he isn't. It's very overstated. The only countries that can legitimately claim to be majority white in Latin America are Argentina and Uruguay.

Quote:
That makes sense when referring to culture or history in a macro sense, but referring to Latinos and Caribbeans as African Americans is wrong because only the U.S. population has that as an ethnic distinction.
Neuling is looking at this from the "global citizen" perspective that everyone, from Resolute, Canada to Punta Arenas, Chile is American. Nobody thinks that way except a very small minority of Europeans and Americans, especially since he thinks everyone in the world should be brown. But yes, African-Americans are exclusively black people that were born and raised in the U.S.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Im from Sweden and so is my who family. But I look like ai could be Spanish or south European or even South American. People mistake me for being Hispanic all the time. Somehow, even though I know I technicly is white, I almost feel like I am lying.
Maybe there was some cheating going on in your family's history

Old 10-25-2011, 12:02 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
So... many "Whites" are mixed Ameri Indian, decendents of East Asian nomads. What about European Whites with Black admix?

Race, so urghhh. Still a Latino/Hispanic category has offered little positivity over simply being White, Black, Asain or mixed. See negatives above.

Not all Whites are Anglo. Many Latinos/Hispanics are Anglo on the other hand too.
I know that. That was exactly my point. If they are looking to add the term Hispanic, they should be more Specific and add the term "Anglo" instead of Non Hispanic White.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think Puerto Rico is guilty of this as well. On the US Census 75% of Puerto Ricans self-identify as white. Well, I'm actually from there and the number should be closer to no more than 40% and that's a big stretch.
Yes, that is what I am saying - my estimate is that PR is about 35% white.

Quote:
The vast majority are mestizo with varying amounts of "whiteness". I'm sure our governor Luis Fortuño considers himself to be white, but he isn't.
That's true about Fortuño; I'd say there were few actual mestizos in PR (just Spanish/Native) and more triracial-mulatto PRs.

Quote:
It's very overstated. The only countries that can legitimately claim to be majority white in Latin America are Argentina and Uruguay.
And maybe Chile.

Quote:
Neuling is looking at this from the "global citizen" perspective that everyone, from Resolute, Canada to Punta Arenas, Chile is American. Nobody thinks that way except a very small minority of Europeans and Americans, especially since he thinks everyone in the world should be brown. But yes, African-Americans are exclusively black people that were born and raised in the U.S.
uh huh

Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
immigrants and original to this country are two very DIFFERENT definitions. Please chose one.

Then you attempt to say 85% of the immigrants were British. 85% were not it's ORIGINAL immigrants either. British descendents came to the "New World" in the early-mid 1600's. Spanish descendents established settlements and in the late 1400's to early 1500's. At what point in time are you cherry picking? Obviously, if you're trying to stick to your "original" point...the first immigrants to this country were Spanish...WHITE...Latin's.
Original Americans
85% British 10% African 5% Indian other within our borders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies