Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The new America where signing a contract means nothing and you can change the terms whenever you feel like it.
Have you ever refinanced your house for a lower interest rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM

679 posts, read 660,891 times
"Generic Republican Candidate promises tax break"
THATS FREEDOM WHAT A SAINT
"Obama proposes moving up student loan payment program"
HE'S BUYING VOTES

Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Relative to photography perhaps, disagree with it being anywhere near as much in demand as the majors I listed. I think "being wired" for those majors is a convenient excuse for those who want to party and get laid a lot for 4-6 years instead of working hard.
When I said high demand, I meant crowded classes at the university. I will say this--most businesses around here won't hire you for any type of professional position without a degree. This isn't all that uncommon of a story--one of my nephews decided to put off college and work for a few years to save money. He worked his way up from the factory floor into a IT position (he's great with computers) within three years. The company was sold, and the new owners fired him because he didn't have a degree, so he wound up starting school earlier than he planned.

I own a successful business, I scored really high on the ACT, and there's no way I'd make it through advanced calculus--not everyone has the same talents and skills. Your argument is obnoxious. By the way--my undergrad was in political science.

Not everyone who doesn't go into computer science, engineering, etc. is majoring in basket weaving Get a grip.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
"Generic Republican Candidate promises tax break"
THATS FREEDOM WHAT A SAINT
"Obama proposes moving up student loan payment program"
HE'S BUYING VOTES
The tax breaks were for everyone. The student loan payment program is specifically meant to benefit the lazy millenials.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM

679 posts, read 660,891 times
Quote:
The tax breaks were for everyone. The student loan payment program is specifically meant to benefit the lazy millenials.
Yes those poor lazy millenials who have to deal with ever increasing tuition rates that make it next to impossible to not be in debt these days...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Yes those poor lazy millenials who have to deal with ever increasing tuition rates that make it next to impossible to not be in debt these days...
...getting that worthless "(insert kewl facebook-worthy buzzword here) studies" degree.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
...getting that worthless "(insert kewl facebook-worthy buzzword here) studies" degree.
If you're motivated, you'll succeed in any field. I have another niece who graduated from her undergrad with a double major in communications/spanish & portuguese. She spent a semester in Spain, and another in Brazil. She started out working for the headquarters of an insurance company translating and writing documents for hispanic customers (and making almost nothing) but now she's working with a major ag based company in their division that deals with international markets (Brazil is a huge grain producer) and she's doing really really well.

Even engineering and IT companies need people to do marketing, accounting, translating...the list goes on.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If you're motivated, you'll succeed in any field.
With or without a college degree. So why bother enslaving yourself in debt by getting one if your chances are so slim with an underwater basketweaving degree?

For every story you tell me about a translator or office worker backpacking in Europe living the good life with a lib arts degree, there are 3 receptionists, waiters/waitresses, and babysitters who got their womans' studies or archeology degree. Supply and demand, how does it work?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
With or without a college degree. So why bother enslaving yourself in debt by getting one if your chances are so slim with an underwater basketweaving degree?

For every story you tell me about a translator or office worker backpacking in Europe living the good life with a lib arts degree, there are 3 receptionists, waiters/waitresses, and babysitters who got their womans' studies or archeology degree. Supply and demand, how does it work?
Because you can't get your foot in the door anymore for an entry level position without an undergraduate degree. How old are you and when did you go to college? It's not like it used to be. I'm in my 50s--my generation could work their way up without the degree, or get it along the way. Now it's expected when you walk in the door.

Just exactly how many people do you think get degrees in "underwater basketweaving" anyway? And for the record--my niece didn't backpack Europe and live the high life--she worked her backside off, learned to speak two languages fluently, and now she's one of the key contact people who works with her company's ag distributorships in Brazil. She also has a farm background, which helped considerably. If you're motivated and smart, you'll go far no matter the field.

Last edited by mb1547; 10-25-2011 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Because you can't get your foot in the door anymore for an entry level position without an undergraduate degree. How old are you and when did you go to college? It's not like it used to be. I'm in my 50s--my generation could work their way up without the degree, or get it along the way. Now it's expected when you walk in the door.
An ASE certified mechanic or HVAC technician makes more than most sociology degree majors, especially when you take into account the opportunity cost and indebtedness you get in during your college years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies