Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we replace the 1 dollar bill with a dollar coin?
Yes, it will save money 34 35.05%
No it's a stupid idea, and how well did the Susan B Anthony dollar coin work out? 21 21.65%
No let's just get rid of the penny 14 14.43%
Better yet, let's save trillions, and get rid of the Fed 28 28.87%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

In case you never read Title 12 USC Sec. 411, a "dollar bill" is not a dollar but a promise to PAY a dollar in the future. That promise was repudiated in House Joint Resolution 192, June 1933.
Those worthless notes are underwritten by the 300 million "human resources" signed up with FICA.

Here's the BIG CON... the government "stole" all the privately held gold money in 1933, and debased fractional silver coin in 1965.

And now, they're about to do a switcheroo, and substituted a "big penny" for the worthless IOU ("dollar bill") and bleat that it is for the purposes of "saving money".

Why didn't they do it in 1965? 1975? 2000?

Because NOW, the collateral value of 300 million "human resources" has severely dropped - as did their property (upside down, anyone?). Those "worthless notes" that millions are surety upon are undercapitalized and thus we see hyperinflation peeking over the horizon.

Just remember to "thank" Congress for their role in stealing your lawful money, substituting counterfeits, and then substituting even more debased coin.

We have the best Congress bribery can buy, bar none !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,292 times
I'm all for the following three things to save money and bring in revenue:

1. Get rid of the $1 bill and replace it with a coin

2. Get rid of the penny

3. Allow the super rich to buy the rights to print their pictures on a specific number of bills

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
who uses cash/coin anymore?
Plenty of people do. Now that's what they should do away with......the credit card. If you can't afford to buy it upfront, you have no business buying it in the first place. That's the problem with this country, it used to be you saved up to buy the things you wanted, now, people buy it first and figure out how to pay for it later.

I use cash pretty much for everything. I'll use a credit/debit card only for gas, or for a larger purchase but thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
2. Get rid of the penny
But whatever would retailers do if they couldn't psychologicly trick us into thinking that something priced at $199.99 is under $200???

What a great buy they say, IT'S UNDER $200 DOLLARS!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
bad idea,!!! to heavy, just imagine having 30 dollars of coinage in your pocket

Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Amen, you got that right...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:54 PM

And for those of you who want to do away with the penny, how would we get back at those we dont like but to whom we owe a debt? Theres nothing better to say **** *** then by paying them back with a big sack-o-pennies!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:58 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Nah, you don't do that. When I get 3 Looneys and a Tooney in my pocket I change them for a 5 dollar bill and that doesn't happen very often because you spend them. In any transaction the most you could get back in coinage is $4 and that is just 2 coins. These one and two dollar coins have worked great here in Canada. I don't think anyone would want to go back to billfolds full of one dollar bills. When I'm in the USA my wallet gets to be full of the things every time. It makes me feel like I have some money on me when I really don't. The USA bills look all the same to us Canuks

It actually stimulates the economy. When I buy stuff with change it doesn't feel like I'm spending.
Panhandlers love them. Just imagine, instead of a quarter you get a dollar or two.
It saves the government loads of money because the coins last so long.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM

What would we put in the g-string at strip clubs? What would we throw on the stage? Cant have coins being flung all over a poorly lit room with tons of guys sitting around..... things could get dangerous you know......

On the bright side, we would have the ladies crawling around on hands and knees looking for their dropped tip though.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
The Fed won't allow it. Coins are debt free currency.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Plenty of people do. Now that's what they should do away with......the credit card. If you can't afford to buy it upfront, you have no business buying it in the first place. That's the problem with this country, it used to be you saved up to buy the things you wanted, now, people buy it first and figure out how to pay for it later.
Credit cards are awesome if you can control yourself and pay them off every month. I've accumulated enough frequent flyer miles for a couple roundtrip tickets to Asia. Credit cards are a must for many internet purchases, and also make eating out a whole lot easier.

I still use cash a lot though at my local bar and a couple of takeout places where I'd rather not have them pay the interchange fees on a small check.

As to the topic at hand, I'm fine with going to the coins if it'll save the treasury money. However, the dollar coin needs a re-design so it doesn't look and feel just like a slightly larger quarter. With respect to the weight issue - I don't go to strip clubs so I can't imagine too many scenarios where I'd have more than 5 of the coins on me at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies