Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we replace the 1 dollar bill with a dollar coin?
Yes, it will save money 34 35.05%
No it's a stupid idea, and how well did the Susan B Anthony dollar coin work out? 21 21.65%
No let's just get rid of the penny 14 14.43%
Better yet, let's save trillions, and get rid of the Fed 28 28.87%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The cash I put in my wallet last month is still there.

As another poster said:

Who uses cash anymore?

In fact who uses checks anymore?

I do.

I do.

I will continue to do so.

As far as the dollar coin goes, how often do you receive a half dollar coin? People snag them and put them away. I'm old enough to remember the Franklin $.50 piece in circulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I do.

I do.

I will continue to do so.

As far as the dollar coin goes, how often do you receive a half dollar coin? People snag them and put them away. I'm old enough to remember the Franklin $.50 piece in circulation.
WOW...... I have one of those tucked away somewhere, I always thought they were pretty neat.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Here's a thought. The old pennies, the ones before about 1980 were made of real copper. So maybe they're now worth more because copper prices have gone up. Maybe I'm sitting on a small fortune, not to mention I've got some silver coins I've found in my change. Cha ching!! $$$$
No, leave the dollar bill alone. Dollar coins fail and we've seen that time and again. But TWENTY dolalr coins would likely be a huge success. Make it the size of an old silver dollar coin. You could have a few of those in your pocket and you'd never lose them. Plus they'd last forever.
I don't know why they don't... I think its due to institutional counterfeiting. Maybe they'd be too easy to counterfeit by foreign powers, or maybe they'd be too hard. Either might be the problem. And they'd be harder to manipulate in the money supply. Try googling twenty dollar coins and you'll find zero efforts or information on the possibility of them minting them and putting them into circulation. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Here's a thought. The old pennies, the ones before about 1980 were made of real copper. So maybe they're now worth more because copper prices have gone up. Maybe I'm sitting on a small fortune, not to mention I've got some silver coins I've found in my change. Cha ching!! $$$$
!
Sorry..... there are laws against melting your currency down and cashing it in for the value of the metal it's made of.

Think about that for a second, a penny isn't worth the metal it's made of.......

Only in America!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

In fact who uses checks anymore?
Everyone that is in front of me in the grocery store/costco line.

I agree with the poster that said that we have to get rid of the bills first. People won't change over until they have to.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
No. Coins are too easily lost, and a dollar is of much more significant value than the current largest common coin.

In Europe, they have 1- and 2-Euro coins. You can lose 5 euros (about $7, $8 when I went there) very easily.

Even in Mexico, 10-peso coins are in very common circulation, and I find these (worth about 90 cents) too big of a value for coins.

As far as checks go, I don't use them and I've written about two checks in my life, but they are still used many people, particularly older people who are less likely to use these forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,633,947 times
I routinely use dollar coins for retail purchases and tips. But I've never received one as change from a merchant, and most have told me they just take them to the bank because customers don't like them or are confused when they receive them. Until the dollar bill is eliminated, the coins will never be circulated in sufficient quantites to make any difference. It didn't help matters when the Mint discontined its free direct shipment program, because most banks don't bother keeping many coins on hand for people who may actually want them.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Plenty of people do. Now that's what they should do away with......the credit card. If you can't afford to buy it upfront, you have no business buying it in the first place.
I use credit cards for almost everything, and I can certainly afford to pay upfront. I don't pay any interest, and I don't have an annual fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I use cash pretty much for everything. I'll use a credit/debit card only for gas, or for a larger purchase but thats it.
That is fine as your preference but I'm buying the same things for cheaper since I get cash back with my credit card, and it has various other bennies like doubling warranties etc. and I can track my spending far more easily than you can.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I'm all for the following three things to save money and bring in revenue:

1. Get rid of the $1 bill and replace it with a coin

2. Get rid of the penny
Yup. People are just against it because they aren't used to it.

As much as people talk about how our government needs to find ways to save money, this seems like pretty low hanging fruit and would more closely align our monetary practices with other 1st world nations.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
The government can't think of better ways to save money? How about stop spenidng on stupid shi*? How about having the government stop helping companies that go belly up every other day?

The dollar coin? One of the dumbest ideas ever...it simply amazes me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies