Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times

Advertisements

Yes............

Like when they follow you from thread to thread on City-Data, attacking your masculinity out of jealousy. That's a closet dweller for sure. Poor guy.

C'mon brutha. Tell it to the world. You know who you are

Born This Way- Lady Gaga LYRICS - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i can tell by hearing the way a person talks, and the posture of a person whether or not they are gay, which is why i dont understand why many gays "want to keep it in the closet". you cant keep something in the closet like that. people know.

granted you do have the occasional 6'5 200 lb athlete with the deep voice who is gay, but the percentages are in my favor of being able to identify a person being gay by hearing them talk, how enthused one is, and posture.

i personally lose respect for those who choose to keep it in the closet for dumb reasons like shame or embarrassment.
The biggest indicator to me are the overly zealous types, overtly religious/conservative and spend a lot of time talking about homosexuals.

That's a dead give away to me.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
You really can't tell. There are stereotypes but they aren't universal. Some people have typical "gay" stereotypes and are straight, and others are very straight acting (athletic) and are gay.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
"Homosexuality and alcoholism are a lot alike"? Please explain. Why would you use a comparison like alcoholism? Is this opinion influenced by your own "politics" and what you "want to believe"?

"Proving homosexuality is real"? You think homosexuality is not "real"? Please explain.

"We just don't know yet" -Who is "we"? Are you claiming to be a scientist or researcher? Which particular studies have you read?
I didn't say I don't think homosexuality is real. I said we don't know if it is real in the sense politicizing wants us to believe. Homosexuality may or may not be an actual part of evolution, genetics, biology etc., it may be a deeply and intricately manifested psychological phenomena. The fact is, we just do not know for sure, without a doubt, either way. There are theories out there trying to explain homosexuality, but science has yet to produce anything solid that could be broadcasted to the world and be irrefutable, that would put it to rest.

"We" as in people. We are all people. We are not God. If there is an all-knowing being out there, I'm sure he/she/it knows the answers we do not know.

That said, the comparison to alcoholism is a good comparison because alcoholism seems to be real and rooted in genetics, biology, neurology, and perhaps even physical brain structure. Alcoholism appears to be real, as opposed to just one's lack of will/psychological ability to control his drinking. But scientifically, alcoholism is poorly understood. There are theories, but they are vague and a solid understanding and explanation just doesn't exist, at least not yet.

All that said, those of you in this thread who think "most gays are flamboyant" or whatever. Don't you see the flaw in your thinking? You actually notice flamboyant gays, but what about all the gays who act just like every other normal person? You don't notice them. Think about that.

And, as for are straight people born that way? We don't really know that either, but it makes sense in regard to the need for species to reproduce.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
One thing that has always perplexed me about gay men is that most gay men act very femine and are attracted to this very flamboyant, over the top gayness that is more symbolic of a woman.
Obviously you don't really know very many gay men, do you? I would say that maybe a third of the gay men I know are the flamboyant type and another third are the body conscience bearish type. The rest would be indistinguishable from your average heterosexual man.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The biggest indicator to me are the overly zealous types, overtly religious/conservative and spend a lot of time talking about homosexuals.

That's a dead give away to me.
It's called a love/hate relationship.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Thanks for the links, there was one quote I found particularly interesting. I'm in medicine, and tend to look at things with a strongly scientific POV, I have always found the idea that homosexuality is biological to be common sense, the idea of it being some kind of choice makes no sense at all.

"the new studies boost the hypothesis that homosexuality has a genetic basis and is not simply the result of learned behavior. This, incidentally, is not in any way controversial for biologists," Hamer said. "It's completely expected from the basic tenets of biology. It's only controversial because of the social and political controversy over homosexuality."
The best quote regarding sexuality I think I have ever seen!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Yes............

Like when they follow you from thread to thread on City-Data, attacking your masculinity out of jealousy. That's a closet dweller for sure. Poor guy.

C'mon brutha. Tell it to the world. You know who you are
this has got to be one of the dumbest statements about homosexuality that I have ever seen - and I've seen a lot of stupid statements in my 13 years on the internet!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
+1

Pretty much dead on. Sometimes I have to tell friends to knock it off because they're being waaay too obvious with their leering, but then I realize that straight guys wouldn't notice and put two and two together unless they really werent' straight!

I can also see it in places like the gym, and pick them out of the crowd pretty easy based on whether their eyes go towards the hot boys or the hot girls walking by.
Then it must figure that you can spot bisexuals because they are leering at both attractive males and females.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If you can tell who is gay then what use is a closet?

Can you go into a gay bar and figure out who is straight?
Sometimes it might be the bartender. Some good looking straight guys don't mind working as bartender in a gay bar, because the tips are so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies