Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times

Advertisements

i can tell by hearing the way a person talks, and the posture of a person whether or not they are gay, which is why i dont understand why many gays "want to keep it in the closet". you cant keep something in the closet like that. people know.

granted you do have the occasional 6'5 200 lb athlete with the deep voice who is gay, but the percentages are in my favor of being able to identify a person being gay by hearing them talk, how enthused one is, and posture.

i personally lose respect for those who choose to keep it in the closet for dumb reasons like shame or embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
My GayDar (patent pending) doesn't work 100% of the time. I've been surprised every once in a while, and then said "oh, that makes sense now." But at the time it didn't occur to me that someone might be gay.

Of course since I really don't CARE if someone is gay or not, it's not something that crosses my mind when I meet someone unless they give some kind of obvious indication.

I do wonder if gays have some ability to detect other gays, in the same way that potheads at a party have this seemingly supernatural ability to figure out who the other potheads are.

/seen it happen

Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
The percentages are in my favor of being able to identify a person being gay by hearing them talk, how enthused one is, and posture.
The make believe percentages you just made up for the sake of this thread?

Do you ask everyone you see? Is this quantifiable? Where did you perform your research? This has so many holes in it, I don't even know where to start.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
i can tell by hearing the way a person talks, and the posture of a person whether or not they are gay, which is why i dont understand why many gays "want to keep it in the closet". you cant keep something in the closet like that. people know.

granted you do have the occasional 6'5 200 lb athlete with the deep voice who is gay, but the percentages are in my favor of being able to identify a person being gay by hearing them talk, how enthused one is, and posture.

i personally lose respect for those who choose to keep it in the closet for dumb reasons like shame or embarrassment.
Wow. Stereotype much? Most gay men I know and am friends with are extremely masculine and you'd never know they were gay unless somebody told you.

That said, I'm very good at picking out gay people. Here's a way - pay attention to whom others pay attention to. Straight men tend to check out women - gay men tend to check out guys. That's just where our eyes go. It's funny - every time I'm out with my friends (most of my friends are straight guys) eventually someone says something like "Whoa, did you see that girl. Check out those ****." I never notice, and usually I don't really even see the random women near me unless they're pointed out. If you notice a guy primarily look at (and even more so "check out") random guys in his environment rather than random girls, it's a pretty good indication he's gay.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 AM

443 posts, read 600,600 times
What is with all these gay threads on this forum? Are you people that obsessed with homosexuality?

You go on about how you don't respect homosexuals that don't come out because of shame or embarrassment. What are you, some kind of child? I am not gay, but I have heard personally what my brother in law went through with having to come out with his family. This wouldn't be easy for anybody. I could imagine somebody having to come out in a religious family in the bible belt because of the way they were born, and you act like it is some trivial thing. There have been suicides and more over this simple issue, and yet you treat it so childishly.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Within 5 minutes, yup...

Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:

Do you really believe they 'want to keep it in the closet' as you put it?
Any idea how many people have been told they would lose their livelihoods if they came out? Risked jail time? Personal injury?
Yes, some people will know, however, I cannot imagine what it must be like having to trust your identity to the whims of one's friends and/or relations.
Would you have known with certainty, that Rock Hudson was gay before he came out?
How about Robert Reed or Meredith Baxter?
Zachary Quinto?

Sometimes I can tell, sometimes I cannot, most of the time I don't think about it one way or the other.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:

The problem with your theory is that there are many folks out there who are gay, but you can't see it, and you don't know how many of them there are.

I agree with you that some people, especially nowadays, exude their homosexuality, and it's pretty easy to tell they're gay. But even then, you may be seeing stereotypes and assuming somebody is gay when they are, in fact, not.

The day we start deciding which folks are gay or not is a scary one and could be very damaging to certain individuals who might be on the receiving end of people mistakenly thinking they are gay. This is one fear that homophobes may have that may be rational.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
no you cant. any more than you can tell what i do when not in your presence.
propensity and execution are not the same. but i can tell when someone is obsessed with gay.
they share graphic details of their sex life with utter strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies