Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
At the risk of wasting what little time I have, I'm not going to read through this thread again. However I know the tread title changed, because the current one I would have never clicked or commented on.

vBulletin says I commented on it though. So what was the old title? (just so I can follow along)
The free school thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
How about car loans, business loans, personal loans, etc. Should all be wiped away because of hard times?
The funny thing is. . . . student loans are NOT dischargeable in bankruptcy. Some of these other loans are dischargeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And all of these degreed young people are going to work...where?
My daughter and her friends from physical therapy school are woking as physical therapists. Her boyfriend, and my other daughter's boyfriend are both working as engineers. These people all have student loans. Interestingly, the largest group of defaulters, as a group is nursing students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
(Quoting me)You folks can't put two and two together, apparently.

If you got a loan from me and I said you only had to pay back a certain amount monthly and if you couldn't pay it back I would forgive it after 25 years then suddenly changed it to an even lower amount and an even shorter period of time that it would be forgiven I just gave you a huge break.

I just bought your freaking vote.

If you're okay with that I'll make sure I bookmark this thread and when a republican does it shove it in your face.

I don't think you're this type of person but your response makes you out to be that way.
I was responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think there is a difference between capping monthly payments on student loans and making college free... a big difference.

Quote:
There not and that's the point. They won't get a job so why not forgive their loans.

It's like all the people in over their heads with house loans. Just give them money, buy their votes, and then when SHTF later with the responsible people they'll just ask for forgiveness. After the 2012 election.
Quote:
Now you've got experience in the work force, hopefully. That's not something this debt ridden (Obamacare subjected to) electorate is going to have.

They won't be able to pay for CLASS and they sure won't be able to pay of their debts in 15 years or less.

They do get a free ride with a small amount of paperwork to fill out.
What is with this business that there are loads of student loan holders who won't work? It would be real helpful to see some statistics.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Default It's unskilled but they should still be able to spell their own state's name.

Can't work, not won't. Of course there are some that won't work, but that would change real quick when the UE ran out. Many of their jobs just no longer exist and they're stuck with the education bill from an over-inflated market due to the thought process that every should be in college. You hear that sentiment all day long. Many go so far as to say that all school should be "free."

Again, I've had one job in particular posted for 6 months now that I'm willing to give someone who doesn't have any experience doing the job. We will pay for training and schooling and all the other benefits and such. The pay is $14/hr, which isn't bad (although our COL is a little higher than the state average), and I've received a total of 16 applications over that 6 months. Three from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 2 from S.C., and the rest in other cities adjacent to our location. We have had the position posted in all the usual places like Jobfinder, Monster, Craigslist (repeatedly refreshed), ect along with our company website. It's even an 8 -5'er. Our state's UE rate is 10.5%.

So you mean to tell me that $29,120 per year, with full benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k, 10 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days and 7 Holidays with 2 more floating holidays), in an environment with 10.5% UE, should be receiving 16 applications? Of course it shouldn't, that's just strange. Why? Because they can sit at home and make approximately the same and not have to work (but they don't get benefits without expensive COBRA). If they do accept a job, they'll have to work and they'll have to drop some, to all, of their free money.

I'm under no delusion that $14/hr will get you in a Mercedes or McMansion either.

Does that not sound strange to you?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Can't work, not won't. Of course there are some that won't work, but that would change real quick when the UE ran out. Many of their jobs just no longer exist and they're stuck with the education bill from an over-inflated market due to the thought process that every should be in college. You hear that sentiment all day long. Many go so far as to say that all school should be "free."

Again, I've had one job in particular posted for 6 months now that I'm willing to give someone who doesn't have any experience doing the job. We will pay for training and schooling and all the other benefits and such. The pay is $14/hr, which isn't bad (although our COL is a little higher than the state average), and I've received a total of 16 applications over that 6 months. Three from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 2 from S.C., and the rest in other cities adjacent to our location. We have had the position posted in all the usual places like Jobfinder, Monster, Craigslist (repeatedly refreshed), ect along with our company website. It's even an 8 -5'er. Our state's UE rate is 10.5%.

So you mean to tell me that $29,120 per year, with full benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k, 10 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days and 7 Holidays with 2 more floating holidays), in an environment with 10.5% UE, should be receiving 16 applications? Of course it shouldn't, that's just strange. Why? Because they can sit at home and make approximately the same and not have to work (but they don't get benefits without expensive COBRA). If they do accept a job, they'll have to work and they'll have to drop some, to all, of their free money.

I'm under no delusion that $14/hr will get you in a Mercedes or McMansion either.

Does that not sound strange to you?

You cannot sit at home and make anywhere near 29K, the maximum UE benefit is less than $400/wk in most states, in MI it's around $360/wk, it's very difficult to live on that, pay your mortgage, car payments, buy food, etc. when your life is budgeted based on earning the median wage of 45K, or much more. If you posted your job here the applications would reach the ceiling because people are not sitting on their ass, they are looking for work, but all they are finding are minimum wage jobs that won't pay the mortgage/rent, and employers don't want to hire college grads for those jobs anyway.

I'm so sick of hearing how everyone on UE just wants free money forever, maybe that is what YOU, and those who keep posting those type of comments would do, but the people I know who lost their jobs are looking everywhere for another job that they can work at, keep their homes, and continue to build on their careers. My SIL couldn't find a job anywhere near her income needs so she finally gave up on finding something decent, and figured she would sell her house at a huge loss and find a studio apt. She started applying for minimum wage jobs, but they wouldn't hire her because they feared she would leave as soon as she found something better. No one wants to hire and have to train a college grad for a job they are overqualified for.

Last edited by detshen; 10-27-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
You cannot sit at home and make anywhere near 29K, the maximum UE benefit is less than $400/wk in most states, in MI it's around $360/wk, it's very difficult to live on that, pay your mortgage, car payments, buy food, etc.
I'm not talking about other states. I specifically said in my state and it in fact is very close to $29,120/year. I just verified.

http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/Est...nefitsMain.asp

And this is the problem I'm having. The few people that have applied can't follow the basic instructions on the applications along with offensive misspellings and punctuation. And I'm not even a grammar Nazi. I understand people make mistakes and not everyone has an English degree. I also understand that the English language, as far as current languages go, is actually one of the hardest to master.
Quote:
when your life is budgeted based on earning the median wage of 45K, or much more. If you posted your job here the applications would reach the ceiling because people are not sitting on their ass, they are looking for work, but all they are finding are minimum wage jobs that won't pay the mortgage/rent, and employers don't want to hire college grads for those jobs anyway.
I already told you I've posted the job position on every website related to our industry and all the others that are related to getting people hired. We have an extensively detailed hiring process but that's to weed out 1,000's of resumes. Not 16. And if I posted the job on here so animosity filled poster would surely sit there and figure out a way to bring someone else, like myself, down to their misery level. For all I care the person hired could be a communist. They won't be allowed to discuss politics, religion, race, etc. they'll be immediately fired.

I know that everyone has to vent their belief system though, it's part of being human.
Quote:
I'm so sick of hearing how everyone on UE just wants free money forever, maybe that is what YOU, and those who keep posting those type of comments would do, but the people I know who lost their jobs are looking everywhere for another job that they can work at, keep their homes, and continue to build on their careers.
What conclusion am I to come to when we have a 10.5% UE rate and I've gotten 16 applications in 6 months. This isn't the only open position either. This is the one that requires the least skills.
Quote:
My SIL couldn't find a job anywhere near her income needs so she finally gave up on finding something decent, and figured she would sell her house at a huge loss and find a studio apt. She started applying for minimum wage jobs, but they wouldn't hire her because they feared she would leave as soon as she found something better. No one wants to hire and have to train a college grad for a job they are overqualified for.
I can concede this point. It's not a problem I'm having though.

Maybe they aren't looking anymore but then they wouldn't be counted as unemployed.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about other states. I specifically said in my state and it in fact is very close to $29,120/year. I just verified.

ESC NC Individual Services: Estimate of Benefits

And this is the problem I'm having. The few people that have applied can't follow the basic instructions on the applications along with offensive misspellings and punctuation. And I'm not even a grammar Nazi. I understand people make mistakes and not everyone has an English degree. I also understand that the English language, as far as current languages go, is actually one of the hardest to master.
I already told you I've posted the job position on every website related to our industry and all the others that are related to getting people hired. We have an extensively detailed hiring process but that's to weed out 1,000's of resumes. Not 16. And if I posted the job on here so animosity filled poster would surely sit there and figure out a way to bring someone else, like myself, down to their misery level. For all I care the person hired could be a communist. They won't be allowed to discuss politics, religion, race, etc. they'll be immediately fired.

I know that everyone has to vent their belief system though, it's part of being human.

What conclusion am I to come to when we have a 10.5% UE rate and I've gotten 16 applications in 6 months. This isn't the only open position either. This is the one that requires the least skills.
I can concede this point. It's not a problem I'm having though.

Maybe they aren't looking anymore but then they wouldn't be counted as unemployed.

The NC UE rate is very high, most americans on UE get much less. The average US benefit is $295, which most people have a hard time paying all their bills on, for everyone is it only a fraction of their previous salary, and many of those people were already living paycheck to paycheck.

I said if you posted your job here, meaning in MI, (not CD) the applications would reach the ceiling, I can't speak for NC, anyway, my post wasn't really directed at your posting alone, it was the constant postings saying that everyone who loses their job and gets UE benefits is lazy, and doesn't want to work, which isn't even logical since you have to work at at job for a length of time and be let go, you can't quit. I don't know why you aren't getting applicants, but there could be any number reasons that have nothing to do with the prevalent conservative idea that everyone who is on UE is a lazy do nothing with no interest in working, the UE number doesn't apply to all fields or areas, there are probably a number of different reasons. Through my work I come into contact with many, many people who have lost their jobs, and want nothing more than to get off UE insurance, and get a job they can support themselves with, and get back into building their career. I can't even tell you how many people I have seen near tears, just devastated by a job loss. I've NEVER seen anyone happy because they think "yay, a vacation form work." Anyway, UE doesn't last forever, even if they just didn't feel like working, many people would have run out by now so I just don't buy that your lack of applicants is based on nothing but laziness.

Last edited by detshen; 10-27-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
THIS PAPER EXAMINES the effects of the level and potential duration of unemployment insurance (UI) benefits on unemployment durations.' The paper particularly studies individual behavior during the weeks just prior to when benefits lapse. Higher UI benefits are found to have a strong negative effect on the probability of leaving unemployment. However, the probability of leaving unemployment rises dramatically just prior to when benefits lapse.
http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/~hfan...%284.12%29.pdf

Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
April 19, 2010

Economists have long recognized that the availability and value of UI benefits can lengthen unemployment spells. Empirical estimates using data from the United States and other countries confirm this general relationship. However, because UI extensions in the United States typically occur concurrently with deterioration in labor market conditions, quantifying the magnitude of the UI effect is challenging. For example, based on existing empirical research using U.S. data, Chetty (2008) noted that a 10% increase in the value of UI benefits increases unemployment durations by 4-8%. Other estimates, particularly those that focus on extension periods rather than the dollar value of benefits, lie below this range (see for example, Card and Levine 2000). As such, there is a wide range of uncertainty around the implied estimates of the impact of the recent UI extensions on unemployment duration.
FRBSF Economic Letter: Extended Unemployment and UI Benefits (2010-12, 4/19/2010)

The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco: Economic Research, Educational Resources, Community Development, Consumer and Banking Information

Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
If you posted your job here the applications would reach the ceiling because people are not sitting on their ass, they are looking for work, but all they are finding are minimum wage jobs that won't pay the mortgage/rent, and employers don't want to hire college grads for those jobs anyway.
Many are sitting on their ass until UE runs out. I know some.

Quote:
I'm so sick of hearing how everyone on UE just wants free money forever, maybe that is what YOU, and those who keep posting those type of comments would do, but the people I know who lost their jobs are looking everywhere for another job that they can work at, keep their homes, and continue to build on their careers.
I'm so sick of hearing how everyone on UE is just busting their butt to find any job they can do.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
"Obama seeks to respond to this question with an executive order in the next part of his "We Can't Wait" unilateral stimulus effort. While the president's heart may be in the right place, his effort isn't like to have much impact"

"Heart in the right place"?
Me thinks political pandering is more the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies