Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is a fairly concept that can be quantified. How much revenue will it bring in next year? What is the goal for revenue. Will it be enough. You never hear this discussed.
Two numbers:

Deficit

Debt

All tax/spending plans eliminate the first immediately and the second around 10 years from adoption. (always 10 years, don't know why).

That's probably as specific as a candidate will ever get on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
like people have said - to get elected. Everyone knows these things wont get passed. If they can generate enough opposition to the current tax code and get people to fear it, then they can gain support. The funny thing is that the average american and even the average business will use only a copule of pages in the tax code.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
999 Plan, flat tax plan, and any other tax plan out there, what is the goal? Should we not first start with a goal as to what we want to accomplish with the taxes and then work backward to decide the best method to accomplish that?

Seems to me the first thing you should decide is how much revenue is required? I mean that is why we have taxes, right? To create revenue. How much revenue do we need, and then what is the best method to meet that objective. I mean who in business comes up with a plan with out an objective?

It is kind of like the Iraq war. How do you know if you actually accomplished anything unless you have real objectives, which we didn't.
So what exactly do we "need" at a national level? I would say Social Security and Medicare, which have their own taxes, although we would have been far better if these had been set up as non-government programs, and NOT as Ponzi Scams. And since everyone argues that the $2.6 trillion dollar Social Security Trust Fund actually exists an makes the program feasible until 2037, let's just sign off on reform now.

Now, for all the things in Washington funded by INCOME TAXES:

Do we "need" multiple foreign wars? I don't think so. Not even one. Our leaders don't even claim to be waging them to protect America or our interests. So dismantle the entire Military-Industrial Complex (keep a few nuclear bombs), and even the terrorists would have no reason to be upset with us anymore. Let current military members defend our borders and stop illegal immigration, and export illegals as they are identified. The minute they show up for free ANYTHING, have a truck ready to send them to Mexico (whether they came from there or not; most did).

All of Washington's wonderful programs, like HUD? I worked for HUD. I went from naive ultra-liberal to staunch anti-government fiscal conservative in just a few years. The level of corruption and graft and waste was mind-boggling. Not a single penny of the billions I saw flowing through this agency was well spent, or invested in a decent American. Interestingly, Thomas Sowell (the conservative African-American economist and political analyst) went from liberal to conservative after working for government. If every liberal could actually work for the government agencies they find so indespensible, we wouldn't have any liberals left.

So here's the end result: Social Security and Medicare, with the rest of federal government simply abolished because they don't do anything useful or productive.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
999 Plan, flat tax plan, and any other tax plan out there, what is the goal? Should we not first start with a goal as to what we want to accomplish with the taxes and then work backward to decide the best method to accomplish that?

Seems to me the first thing you should decide is how much revenue is required? I mean that is why we have taxes, right? To create revenue. How much revenue do we need, and then what is the best method to meet that objective. I mean who in business comes up with a plan with out an objective?

It is kind of like the Iraq war. How do you know if you actually accomplished anything unless you have real objectives, which we didn't.
The Republican candidates saw what happened. Obama didn't simply go back on a few campaign promises.

He gave us a full blown sunshine enema, and he's practically getting away with it.

So, the Republicans are taking a shot at the title. They'll use the same methods Nope did. Beware. There will be a LOT of lying this election. More so than we've ever seen.

Thanks to Obama, it's no longer an underhanded trick, but an accepted practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies