Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,657,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Because, despite what you think, the economy is strongest when top-earners are taxed highest.

"We had very high top marginal tax rates in the '50s and '60s, upwards of 90 percent," New York University economics professor Edward Wolff told The Huffington Post. "And we had our highest growth of the post-war period, perhaps the whole century."

Total coincidence.

And do a little research. Almost NOBODY paid that rate. It had no impact on tax receipts.

So today, if we had a 90% income tax on regular incomes over 10 million per year, how much do you think the Feds would collect? Very little if any.

Now tell me what people really PAID in the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,872,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Total coincidence.

And do a little research. Almost NOBODY paid that rate. It had no impact on tax receipts.

So today, if we had a 90% income tax on regular incomes over 10 million per year, how much do you think the Feds would collect? Very little if any.

Now tell me what people really PAID in the 1950s.
How is it a total coincidence when it has been a trend studied by ecomomist for 80+ years? America is a young country. The share of the wealth of the top 10% has only been this high twice in our nation's history-The Great Depression and the current Recession-That is no coincidence. Having a healthy middle-class is the absolute most important thing for the economy.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,347,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Theft is illegal. Have you called Obama and reported this theft? It's his job to enforce our laws.

Exploitation is a lot like theft and perfectly legal.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
How is it a total coincidence when it has been a trend studied by ecomomist for 80+ years? America is a young country. The share of the wealth of the top 10% has only been this high twice in our nation's history-The Great Depression and the current Recession-That is no coincidence. Having a healthy middle-class is the absolute most important thing for the economy.

It's total coincidence that we had growth in the 1950s with a 90% marginal rate that almost nobody paid.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Exploitation is a lot like theft and perfectly legal.
But the poster said the 1% "rob the middle class"..... that's illegal.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,347,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
I disagree. Private citizens have major control over our gov't. It's called campaign donations, lobbying money, independent "issue" ads, etc

Exactly what major control do poor people have over government?

It's not as if they hyave campaign donations, lobbying money, independent "issue ads, etc.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,091 times
Quote:
Because, despite what you think, the economy is strongest when top-earners are taxed highest.

"We had very high top marginal tax rates in the '50s and '60s, upwards of 90 percent," New York University economics professor Edward Wolff told The Huffington Post. "And we had our highest growth of the post-war period, perhaps the whole century."
The economic growth of a country is also positively correlated to the distance from the equator. Does that mean that if you immediately move to Alaska, you will start to make more money?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,976,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Personally? I spend time studying how to invest myself rather than spending time whining about how other people have more money than I do.

There are two types of people: those who complain about how much other people have and those who work to better themselves. I have personally never been big on whining. You might be different, however.
I'm not whining about how much money people have... i'm saying that the 1% are not the one's that the OP has alluded.

Wealth in this country (or this world) is not based on yearly income. It is purely based on who has control of the resources and commodities.

Putin is one of the wealthiest men in the world and i bet his yearly income sucks.

Earned wealth is proper. Income tax is wrong. wealth redistribution is clumsy and never works when forced.

What i'm saying is that the corruption through the control of resources, which is by old money families, for the most part... are the true 1% ers.

Fix that part, and everyone will thrive. If they want to.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,224,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I will have to change the deductable on my All Income from All Sources income tax from 90th percentile to the 98th percentile. Anyone making under about 250k pays no federal income tax. The rest pay all of the government's operating costs. They benefit the most so they pay the most.
How do they benefit the most?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
I'm not whining about how much money people have... i'm saying that the 1% are not the one's that the OP has alluded.

Wealth in this country (or this world) is not based on yearly income. It is purely based on who has control of the resources and commodities.

Putin is one of the wealthiest men in the world and i bet his yearly income sucks.

Earned wealth is proper. Income tax is wrong. wealth redistribution is clumsy and never works when forced.

What i'm saying is that the corruption through the control of resources, which is by old money families, for the most part... are the true 1% ers.

Fix that part, and everyone will thrive. If they want to.
People CAN thrive if they want to. People today are, by and far very spoiled. Everyone is entitled to a 2400 sqft home in the suburbs with a job where you only work 40 hours per week and you get a flat screen TV and everyone in your family has a smartphone. No one reads at night. No one studies. No one educates themselves. If a person lives conservatively (a small house in a walkable neighborhood, so you don't need two cars for a family) and educates themselves (instead of assuming everyone with a high school diploma deserves a good job) then they will be successful. The real issue (in my mind) is the lack of a desire for education. Why don't people read about investment strategies instead of watching TV at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies