Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:46 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times

Advertisements

The U.S. economy is surprisingly resilient. In spite of all the setbacks since 2008, the U.S. GDP is actually still the highest it's ever been. And the GDP per capita is nearly as high as well.

Only during the Great Depression was there a steep drop in GDP for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times
you think so????

Nightmare scenario: U.S. deflation risks rising - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/nightmare-scenario-u-deflation-risks-rising-201946557.html - broken link)

Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Really......... Why is Bush, Cheney and their "crew" still walking around?
Nothing good to be said for the Obama administration...... mmmmm let me see.................
"U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) removed 396,906 illegal immigrants from the United Statesin fiscal 2011, the largest number in the agency’s history.'
If you haven't heard yet, new data out by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics show that in 2010 the economy saw an increase of 1.1 million jobs. But what is a number like that without a reference point, right? Turns out that if you look back at the same stats over the past decade, you can see that is more than the total number of jobs created in Bush's 8 years as president.
The War in Iraq is over and our troops are finally coming home.
Bin Laden and Gahdaffi and other top terrorists Dead on Obama's watch.
Israeli Foreign minister has said Obama, out of all previous Presidents is one of the best Presidents to Israel and a close friend of Israel.
Healthcare is now changing for the better. People with pre conditions and could never get health care...now can. If Obama is allowed to use HIS heath care strategy.... a UHC.... America could have the finest health system in the world and it's creation would get rid of unemployment, instead of one of the worst and most expensive system now on the planet... the so called "Obamacare" is NOT what Obama wanted and 99% who are against it haven't even read the bill.
Vet care has now improved under Obama.
Obama has a Jobs plan......... Republicans have.......NOTHING.
Etc Etc Etc Etc.

Nice collection of silver linings you got there.

Now, about those dark clouds...

"The study by the Pew Hispanic Center noted 11.2 million illegal immigrants living and working in the shadows in the United States in March 2010, virtually unchanged from a year earlier. The report, which drew on U.S. Census Bureau data, noted the number of illegal immigrants in the workforce remained steady at around 8 million."

U.S. illegal immigrant population steady | Reuters

"We already learned that the one biggest red flag in unemployment data had been raised when we found that the labor force participation rate was the lowest since 1984. Now we find that the other critical data point: average length of unemployment, just hit a new all time high of 40.4 weeks in July, up from the previous record of 39.9 in June. Someone should tell the average American who is rapidly approaching one year in average unemployment that the stock market soared on good payroll news. They will be delighted."

Average Unemployment Under Obama: 40.4 Weeks…another Obama record | Scotty Starnes's Blog

As for Bush's job numbers, he came in with nearly full employment and kept it at about 5% for most of his presidency. What's BO's excuse for permanent 9% unemployment?

He came in with nowhere to go but up and a friendly Congress yet somehow still managed to blow it.

Much of the information which led to Bin Ladens location and execution was gathered using tactics he campaigned against and condemned the Bush Administration for using. If he had things the way he wanted years ago, Bin Laden might still be alive. Thank you Bush Jr.

As for your high praise of Obamacare, it gave us a landslide victory in the 2010 midterms, so thank you very much and keep up the good work.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Not really; but really, they did.

Look up ERTA-1981.

Yep, just before they reneged on TEFRA.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,832,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Nice collection of silver linings you got there.

Now, about those dark clouds...

"The study by the Pew Hispanic Center noted 11.2 million illegal immigrants living and working in the shadows in the United States in March 2010, virtually unchanged from a year earlier. The report, which drew on U.S. Census Bureau data, noted the number of illegal immigrants in the workforce remained steady at around 8 million."

U.S. illegal immigrant population steady | Reuters
Must have been all the hard Work that Bush and the Republicans did for 8 years to stop illegal immigration....... Hold on .... Bush did Nothing to stop illegals....... Maybe that is why Obama now has a HUGE job on his hands getting the numbers down..... Bush's open door policy.

"We already learned that the one biggest red flag in unemployment data had been raised when we found that the labor force participation rate was the lowest since 1984. Now we find that the other critical data point: average length of unemployment, just hit a new all time high of 40.4 weeks in July, up from the previous record of 39.9 in June. Someone should tell the average American who is rapidly approaching one year in average unemployment that the stock market soared on good payroll news. They will be delighted."

Average Unemployment Under Obama: 40.4 Weeks…another Obama record | Scotty Starnes's Blog

As for Bush's job numbers, he came in with nearly full employment and kept it at about 5% for most of his presidency. What's BO's excuse for permanent 9% unemployment?
Maybe you can't remember the destruction of the American financial, job and housing market under Bush..... Hard to give jobs once your company has sunk......... Oh i remember...Obama has a magic wand to wave over the Republican carnage and clean up their mess overnight....... 8 YEARS of MESS.

He came in with nowhere to go but up and a friendly Congress yet somehow still managed to blow it.
We must be soooo grateful to Bush for leaving the Country in such a bad position that.... in your own words...... "nowhere to go but up" as we were so far down on the floor and the friendly congress had a very small majority that any dems voting against Obama could defeat his bills. Obama didn't have a overwhelming majority...pity.
America can also now see a Congress with the LOWEST approval rating EVER........ wonder why? Oh yes i know..... Arrogant fools who would destroy America just for a chance to get back into the Whitehouse.

Much of the information which led to Bin Ladens location and execution was gathered using tactics he campaigned against and condemned the Bush Administration for using. If he had things the way he wanted years ago, Bin Laden might still be alive. Thank you Bush Jr.
Oh i see...... so that's why in all the years using water boarding after 9/11, Bush couldn't catch Bin Laden, even when Bin Laden was trapped in Bora Bora, allowing Bin Laden to escape to Pakistan. Maybe Bush was too busy "sucking up" to Pakistan. Bin Laden would still be alive if Obama hadn't become President...... Republicans are far too inept to catch or kill America's Enemies....... FACT!
Job Accomplished...remember!

As for your high praise of Obamacare, it gave us a landslide victory in the 2010 midterms, so thank you very much and keep up the good work.
Scare Tactics, lies and ignorance gave the Republican's the 2010 win..... But often the mid terms mean change in Congress... just like when Bush lost the majority in Congress in the mid terms.
American's now realise that they made a HUGE mistake putting Republicans into Congress control.............. Lowest Approval Ratings probably EVER........ Good job Republicans...... Gold Medal for losing the public ....... lmao

Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,441,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S. economy is surprisingly resilient. In spite of all the setbacks since 2008, the U.S. GDP is actually still the highest it's ever been. And the GDP per capita is nearly as high as well.

Only during the Great Depression was there a steep drop in GDP for several years.
Absolutely!
The bubble years also showed strong growth, but now people realize that those statistics are bogus. Inflated prices of real estate and huge profits on paper are only that. The US had long ago given up on real growth which cannot be separated from high employment and real strong exports. Moving money from one pocket to another isnt "resilience".

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,891,112 times
Any reputable economist like peter schiff for example knows the economy is bad, for example the fed is keep ing low inertness rates. Very Very Low.

It's election so Im not surprised," the economy is better"

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,218,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post

It's election so Im not surprised," the economy is better"
Only when a Democrat is in office. When it's a Republican the MSM is very pessimistic on the economy, no matter the state it is in. Things were actually quite good in 2004 yet the news media was comparing George Bush to Herbert Hoover. In 2008, the media was all doom and gloom when we still had a 5% unemployment rate. It wasn't until late 2008, just before the election, that things actually got really bad.

We are in an L-shaped recession and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. The last President who tried to end a recession with government programs was Franklin D. Roosevelt, who had the same success as Obama has with ending the current recession. The government programs worked on paper, by 1936 the stock market had recovered and GDP was growing again although anemically (sound familiar?) but still nobody was hiring and the unemployment rate stayed well above 15% (which is the real unemployment rate today). It took a major world war to finally end it.

I feel the current recession is more like Japan's in the 1990s. There will be a very slow recovery over the next few decades and we may never get back to where we were in 2007.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times
My business is a direct reflection of the business sector. When industry starts selling machinery and equipment, my business flourishes. When industry is in a slump, so is my business. I reached an all time low in 2009 and it stayed there into 2010. In mid 2010 there was a slight improvement, and it has remained stagnant ever since. In fact the last month has been a disaster. Go ahead and tell me all about all the growth, but until I see it translated into freight moving across this country, it's BS.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,218,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My business is a direct reflection of the business sector. When industry starts selling machinery and equipment, my business flourishes. When industry is in a slump, so is my business. I reached an all time low in 2009 and it stayed there into 2010. In mid 2010 there was a slight improvement, and it has remained stagnant ever since. In fact the last month has been a disaster. Go ahead and tell me all about all the growth, but until I see it translated into freight moving across this country, it's BS.
This is the truth.

This "growth" is just MSM propaganda to get the sheeple to feel all warm and fuzzy about Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies