Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's a private university that qualifies for Federal programs. If you want Federal programs like student loans, research grants then you must not discriminate.

Sorry to all the bigots out there...but this is the law. Move to Nigeria if you don't like it.
Except your tax dollars do not automatically go and support the university like your public, state university does. The university is privately owned and operated, and in the entire history of the student loans program, the courts have not ruled to your liking, if anyone ever bothered to challenge these universities to begin with.

You know, I think we went over something similar to this before. How student loans work, not all universities get a piece of the pie. They only get the money if they student elects to go to that university, unlike state universities which get funding, whether or not students actually go there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
It's a private university that qualifies for Federal programs. If you want Federal programs like student loans, research grants then you must not discriminate.

Sorry to all the bigots out there...but this is the law. Move to Nigeria if you don't like it.

Perhaps you should go to Nigeria since you seem to like that way of life.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:44 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:

They didn't discriminate, these students were allowed to to register and go to school there. BUT in doing so, these students would have had to agreed to this private university's terms.

Sorry if you don't like it, but even in the military, if I went to a Christian chapel, I would not expect to find a Siddur, nor should I demand they accommodate me in that fashion. I am in their play pen.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
If bigots and racists want to have your own
I have an idea:
Try to make a post without squealing "bigot" or "racist."

And good luck with that!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:48 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Good! So as a Catholic I'm going to go to a mosque here in America and DEMAND that I receive communion, and if they don't cater to that demand, then I'm going to b***! I mean hey... what's right is right!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
I'm not impressed by a 95% bigotry free University.

Obey the law or don't take the money.

What's with you white Christians? Can you not abide by the law? I thought you are more law abiding than those "other people"?
What laws are being broken here? This Catholic institution accepted these Muslim students. The Muslim students are OFFENDED by symbols that are held dear by Catholics world-wide. They are the ones being bigoted. Why are they offensive? Are they being forced to pray to them? No. Are they told to stop practicing Islam? No. Were they forced to attend this school? No.

It's funny that you always take the side of those that are against what would be considered the Christian/Catholic side. What is it with you anti-Christians anyway? What I find amusing is you overlook the fact that a Catholic institution accepted those that are religiously different than they are and thus are promoting "diversity".

You going to let someone you invited over to your house change the way your house is decorated because they find it offensive? Didn't think so.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
You going to let someone you invited over to your house change the way your house is decorated because they find it offensive? Didn't think so.
Exactly!

"But I brought you a housewarming gift! You should therefore change your home to suit me."

We're going south in a handbasket; anyone have any ideas of where to move to get away from this kind of thing?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Muslims say crosses at Catholic University Violate “Human Rights” | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

The Tower : University Accused of Discriminating Against Muslims

And here we go. The have enrolled for school at a CATHOLIC university, and are complaining that -

Now, I could be wrong, but this is a faith based PRIVATE institution, and the people enrolling there KNOW it is a faith based PRIVATE institution, yet they complain when this institution doesn't go out of it's way to accommodate OTHER religions?

Kinda of like going to church and complaining that they don't have prayer rugs and korans for muslims?

Really?
What Muslims complained?

I read the article in The Tower, and it sounds like a lawyer has a problem with Catholic University. First, he goes after them for same-sex dorms and how that's discriminatory towards women. Now he's going after them for not having a room set aside for Muslims to pray in.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
I'm not impressed by a 95% bigotry free University.

Obey the law or don't take the money.

What's with you white Christians? Can you not abide by the law? I thought you are more law abiding than those "other people"?
Please post this fantasy law you are talking about. TIA!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's private, they have no case.
Strel, I agree with you that this case has little merit. But I think even private colleges and universities have to comply with some equal rights guidelines. But in this case, the university is not prohibiting or interfering with its Muslim students' right to pray, and I don't think a religiously affiliated university is obligated to provide worship environments for people not belonging to their religious affiliation. Providing space and privacy should be sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies