Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times

Advertisements

In the beginning of this video you can watch em open fire on people just standing in the street...

Police use Tear Gas and Rubber Bullets at Occupy Oakland on Vimeo

They don't need to do that, how about a fire hose???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
The police are one of the largest groups affected by the greed of the rich. In NJ Gov Christie cut their ranks so bad that in Camden the remaining police are afraid to go on patrol. In WI the republicans cut the ranks of the police, firemen, and teachers. All over the country policemen have taken a big hit in rank reductions, salary cuts and benefits. While I understand the police who are fortunate enough to still have a job must perform their duties do they have to do it with such vigor? Do they have to throw a man in a wheel chair to the ground? Bust an American veteran's head wide open? Do they have to pepper spray a group of people for no reason? From some of the video I have seen there is little difference in the actions of some police and a brutal street gang. The police are starting to look more and more like nazi storm troopers. The police need to be reminded that they work for the people, all the people, and not just a few rich. The police should also realize that these protests are also protests against the injustices against their rank and file.

The irony of the marine who was beaten is that here is an American who served in the Marine Corps to protect America and the rights of Americans only to have his head beaten in by American police because he was exercising his first amendment rights. Where is the justice in that?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
OWS is solely about promoting an "us versus them" mentality. Americans never used to hate other Americans for being more successful. Sad.
I'd rep you if it would let me for that statement. All this whole "occupy" garbage is about brainwashed, hopeless, and ambitionless far left youth expecting handouts and freebies from the hard working and successful citizens of our nation. This ridiculous belief that these folks cling on to that society should provide for their every want and need with them providing none of the expense, is pushed hard by our very own federal government and this administration. Since Obama can't possibly run for re-election based on his record as president, he needs to drive a wedge between the haves and the have-nots. (the have-nots being a majority of the democratic party) Once that wedge is driven in, he can divide his voting base from everyone else and then begin to villify those of us that fall into the "haves" category. In the eyes of Obama and the far left, hard earned success is evil, but to receive something without working for it is divine.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
F u c k the Police
Don't worry, most people grow out of silly tough guy rebel phase this phase.

Quote:
Was anyone armed or dangerous???
You tell me. Oh wait, you weren't there and don't have a clue.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Occupy Oakland announced that, to protest the police action of Tuesday, and the injury to the injured Marine Iraq vet, Scott Olsen, they are calling for a one-day general strike against the city, to be scheduled sometime next week.

Good! Classic non-violent response to violent provocation, in the tradition of Dr King. Hope it's a big success

Oakland Protesters Call For General Strike Against City | TPM News Pages
Go Oakland! Strike, strike, strike! This is what we NEED to bring real change to this country. It certainly won't come from our elected officials.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Go Oakland! Strike, strike, strike! This is what we NEED to bring real change to this country. It certainly won't come from our elected officials.
You leftists got your "change" in 2008. This "strike" in Oakland is just a small result of that change.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
I'd rep you if it would let me for that statement. All this whole "occupy" garbage is about brainwashed, hopeless, and ambitionless far left youth expecting handouts and freebies from the hard working and successful citizens of our nation. This ridiculous belief that these folks cling on to that society should provide for their every want and need with them providing none of the expense, is pushed hard by our very own federal government and this administration. Since Obama can't possibly run for re-election based on his record as president, he needs to drive a wedge between the haves and the have-nots. (the have-nots being a majority of the democratic party) Once that wedge is driven in, he can divide his voting base from everyone else and then begin to villify those of us that fall into the "haves" category. In the eyes of Obama and the far left, hard earned success is evil, but to receive something without working for it is divine.
Yep. I wasn't raised with the same set of values as these people. Apparently their morality is based in a belief that everyone is responsible for everyone else. While that sounds real nice, it just isn't practical or really moral at all in the final analysis. It's selfish.

I was lucky to be raised by parents who were not college-educated, but knew the value of hard work. They taught me that AND I learned that from observing others work hard and achieve success. I didn't really "make it" until after serving almost 7 years enlisted in the air force and after working 40 hours a week through college and then going to night school for 4 years while I was in the USAF.

I could have moved in with my parents, or mooched off of them, smoked some weed, and probably had more fun doing it. So now that I am reasonably successful, I take it seriously and personally when people say that my success is a result of good luck, government programs, my "privilege" as a white person, or having two parents, etc. The only answer I accept as to why I am successful is that I earned it. Nobody else was working weekends at Sbarro AND Burger King when I got my undergraduate degree. Nobody else was scrubbing gravel as an E-3 at Goodfellow AFB when I was 23, so I could qualify for the GI Bill to pay for a postgraduate degree. And nobody else was going to night school from 6 to 10 pm and then doing a full shift with my unit from 11 to 7 for 4 years.

This country is the land of opportunity, so long as you are willing to WORK for your dreams. I pity these OWS saps because they don't have the imagination or the wherewithal to see that. Instead, their lives are an illusion and a farce. They exist to whine and blame. It is so sad.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
You leftists got your "change" in 2008. This "strike" in Oakland is just a small result of that change.
I was unaware that we elected a leftist in 2008. Obama is a moderate conservative.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I was unaware that we elected a leftist in 2008. Obama is a moderate conservative.
No, he's a leftist. And an idiot.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
No, he's a leftist. And an idiot.
Obama is not a Leftist, his policies are quite similar to Bush's.

Endless wars
Gitmo
Working for the banks and corporations
Reappointed the Federal Reserve Chairman that served under Bush
Lots of secrecy
Lots of backroom dealing

Very little has changed, I can go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies