Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is truly amazing that people who cannot see or hear can hold such views. Did they ever explain their racism? I am so thankful I wasn't raised in an environment that fostered hate. What a sad existence to hate people you can't even see.
Please know that I am echoing their explanations and not agreeing with or excusing them.

One of them said she was raised to believe that Black people were untrustworthy.

The other had a series of bad experiences with Black people.

In their minds, those reasons justified being racist, and even through their cloaks of deafness and blindness, they were able to distinguish white people from Black people. (I don't know the details, e.g. how they treated mixed people, whether they went by the "one drop rule" etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which was your privilege to do, either way.

What is ridiculous in your eyes, is of absolutely no relevance to me. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain or justify to "Americans™" who have centuries assigning me an identity that they think was appropriate and logical to them.

But thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Makes me wonder when people will stop trying to define others, and instead, allow others to define themselves.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The timeless question:

Why can a black dude call another black dude N****(they do ALOT on the rap underground channels) but yet if a white guys says, "Hey N****" to a black guy, he will suffer the wrath....

Can anyone explain that?
The same reason your dog is "bud", the stranger on the metro is "ma'am," your friend is [their name], and the Judge in court is "Your Honor". Who you're talking to actually affects how you can talk to them.

Try talking to your dog or friend like you would a stranger or judge, or try talking to the stranger or a judge like you do to your dog or your friend. See how that goes.

I don't understand why people ignore this basic principle in sociolinguistics when it comes to racial identity. Among Black people, the N word takes on a new function as a solidarity marker.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Guess you can drop it then cause I'm an American. my color has no bearing on it... does yours?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I don't go around mentioning I am white. It is plain enough to see.

I have never refered to myself as Europe-American. Why do you call yourself African American? Can't you just be an American?
When blacks start being treated exactly the same as whites and everyone else, I'll stop calling myself African American.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I seriously doubt that any struggle that I have been through that you've faced. Now you may have had similar experiences BUT THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

Again I'm NEVER going to understand what it feels like to be white

YOU are NEVER going to understand what is feels like to be black.

That's one of the reason race is so hard to talk about. Neither side has a frame of reference to know what the other side actually FEELS on a day to day basis.

The disconnect that goes on when this issue is discussed between black and white people is the biggest proof of this.
Why don't you give me some examples. If you don't feel comfortable posting them publically send me a PM I would love to understand what you have gone through so that I can better understand where you are coming from.

No, we will never literally know what it is like to be in each others skin. Everyone thinks their life situations are unique, but they usually aren't someone has gone through what you have or even worse. Unless we are willing to listen and even step into each others shoes we will never break through the whole race thing. Or we can skip it altogether and just realize that we all have the basic code for being a human.

I am trying to connect, to this day very few have allowed that to happen. It just seems like they want their struggle to be their own, so that they can use it.

Quote:
Would you like a cookie?
You see it is things like this that make people not give a rats left nut about anything you "claim" to have been through. I have not done anything to oppress you. You have the same opportunities that I do. You are just too afraid to step out of the stereotype of the victim. You like being the victim, even when someone isn't doing anything to you, you have to be the victim. You feel it gives you power over others for some reason.

It doesn't. So challenge yourself, stop playing the role of a victim, and take control of your own life. Stop blaming others for you not wanting to do anything and having it all handed to you. In this country if you want something you need to fight for it. It's not going to come easy and most likely you will fail more than once, the key is to stand up, brush yourself off, and just continue fighting.

But, I know that all of this is lost on you. You will just reply with some immature line or an attempt at a witty comment. Do you really wonder why people could care less about people that play the victim when they are just a victim of their own doing?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
okay, so walk on egg shells because we don't want to be considered different because the color of our skin? Wow... well, I guess we will never outlive the fear that the dems have placed in so many people.
What he meant was that we don't know what to call you. Some say African American is an insult, some say Black is an insult. What would you like to be called?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
More often than not "It's the context of the word" as opposed to the word itself. The "N' word is probably the most nuanced word in the English language. In most cases if a Black person is using the word toward another black person it's not meant to be hateful, hostile or derogatory. The same can't always be said when a White person uses it toward a Black person.

If you have difficulty understanding, relating or agreeing with that it's in all likelihood because you are not Black.
Never thought about it that way. You make a very good point.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ahhhh ... the joys of Collard greens. Add in some cornbread, black-eyed peas and tea (along with that beer) and we'll all sit down and be color blind.

A true southern delicacy.
I'm not from the south, but that sounds delicious and is a great plan. I think I know what I am making tomorrow.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
When blacks start being treated exactly the same as whites and everyone else, I'll stop calling myself African American.
I think that goes both ways. When blacks stop accusing all white people of being unequal or racist in some way, then we can all just move past this. You will never get rid of people like the KKK, Black Panthers or other extremist group that feel ethnicity is a reason to hate others. There will always be ignorant idiots out there. The trick is to realize that they don't speak for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies