Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,296,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
For the 10,000,000th time.....an African American is an American with a distinct heritage that comes from a specific history and culture based in the post-Middle Passage experience. An immigrant from Africa is not an African American. Nobody from Nigeria, Somalia, Egypt, South Africa or any other place on the African continent who moves to this country is an African American, be they black, white or anything else.
You do realize the grammatical contradiction of using the term "African-American" with the cultural and historical definition you've just given?

The only way this works is if you call people by their specific nationality then hyphenate it with "American" i.e.:
Somali-American
Nigerian-American
Ethiopian-American

It's one reason that I personally prefer the term Black American. It more clearly delineates the fact there are unique cultural and historical differences between a Black person born in the United States with descendants that arrived in America as part of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and either a Black or White person born in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,466,982 times
SO, A black man moving to the USA from Africa and becomes a citizen. He is an American because he is a citizen, he is African because that is what he is actually from. But he is not African American beacuse he does not share the same history as the following : His black neighbor down the street who's family have lived here for 200 years and came here as slaves, because only then can you call yourself African Ameican?

Im sorry i just don't understand.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,071,293 times
This thread is funny, I am white and come from European stock and NEVER refer to myself as a European American which is equal to a Black referring to themselves as an African American.
There are many "Africans" that are not Black.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
SO, A black man moving to the USA from Africa and becomes a citizen. He is an American because he is a citizen, he is African because that is what he is actually from. But he is not African American beacuse he does not share the same history as the following : His black neighbor down the street who's family have lived here for 200 years and came here as slaves, because only then can you call yourself African Ameican?

Im sorry i just don't understand.
Lol, that's what the game's all about. We're all confused; it's just a minority of us who will admit it. I'm thinking about calling myself a "Peach North Americaner (of the sub-Canadian variety)" just to tick people off

Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,351,271 times
does it occur to anyone else that, as Americans, we are incapable of identifying ourselves due to shared cultural heritage, so we frament our experiences and attitueds into a bunch of sub-cultures. I'm pretty sure that this sort of thing will eventually cause the dissolution of the "United States".

Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,351,271 times
remember what happened to the U.K.?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,517,622 times
For ONCE I would like to see one person who has a problem with the hypenated-American issue bring up....ASIAN Americans. Why do the same people have no issues with that particular hypenation?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,629,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You do realize the grammatical contradiction of using the term "African-American" with the cultural and historical definition you've just given?

The only way this works is if you call people by their specific nationality then hyphenate it with "American" i.e.:
Somali-American
Nigerian-American
Ethiopian-American

It's one reason that I personally prefer the term Black American. It more clearly delineates the fact there are unique cultural and historical differences between a Black person born in the United States with descendants that arrived in America as part of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and either a Black or White person born in Africa.
Yes, JTG, I do realize that. The problem is that not every Black person in America is from the culture I described in that post. My mother, for example, is Black but not African American, while my dad is African American. I identify as Black. I identify as African American. But I won't identify as a capital B Black American because to me there is no such ethnicity. There is no grammatical contradiction whatsoever.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,466,982 times
I never hear Asian American. Just Asian by itself.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM

749 posts, read 838,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
For ONCE I would like to see one person who has a problem with the hypenated-American issue bring up....ASIAN Americans. Why do the same people have no issues with that particular hypenation?
Who said we don't? Are you making crap up...again?

If a person was BORN in another country, and becomes a citizen HERE, if he/she wishes to honor their adopted country by adding 'American' to their heritage, by all means....go to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies