Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I agree with this. It's hard to explain without going on and on. It's one thing to know about the past, and another to dwell on it. I think a majority dwell on the past and think all white people are responsible for it, which turns into distaste for whites, etc.

The educated blacks don't dwell on the past, imo and from what I've seen. And they behave completely different.
Totally agree...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It is not the fault of a black person if the history of black people in the US has a shameful beginning. Just because it makes you uncomfortable, doesn't make it something that needs to be silenced.
I'm not uncomfortable with the history of black people. It is what it 'was'. There's nothing you or I can (or should) do about something that happended many, many generations ago...any more so than doing something or harping about something that happened thousands of years ago. It's not like the history happened last week! The people involved are long since dead, gone and things have changed. Get over it and move on for God's sake...and more importantly for your own sake, and for the sake of your own race!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You say that blacks "continue to struggle at most every single level". Do you think our history in the US has something to do with this phenomenon?
It's because of people like you constantly bringing up multiple-generation old history that your own race continues to struggle. You try to 'use' ancient history as an excuse for your race's current problems when a large part of the problems are caused by your race's unwillingness to put this history to bed and move forward. Blacks will never (EVER) be able to move forward and overcome their problems and struggles as long as people like you continue harp on ancient history as an excuse. You know that (if you have an IQ over 70), I know that, and the world knows that. People like you (yes - YOU) are doing blacks a terrible injustice and harming your own people's progress by keeping old history alive and on the front burner. Let it go and move on for God's sake...and more importantly for your own sake, and for the sake of your own race!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I think that you fail to recognize or acknowledge that the majority of Black Americans have some measure of non-African ancestry which therefore also makes the majority of Black Americans biracial or multiracial by your definition.
I'm not failing to realize or acknowledge anything. Of course I realize that many AAs have other racial heritages as well. They are free to identify themselves as they see fit. If they think it's important to make some sort of distinction and for others to acknowledge that, I'm fine with that as well.

Quote:
Also, the concept of the One Drop Rule is deeply etched into the American mind. And while I understand that some people want to separate out biracials from the "Black" or "White" categories it just isn't that simple.
It doesn't have to be so complicated either. It should be up to the individual to identify themselves as they see themselves. Of course, others can and will lump them into their own categories in their own minds, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about how WE identify OURSELVES.

Quote:
And biracials who don't want to be placed into a category need to understand that...

1) all other biracials/multiracials do not hold the same views as they do (ie have no problem being identifed as Black, Asian, etc)
Of course I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for the many biracial people I do know. They realize and respect that. They also expect others to realize and respect their own self identification.

Quote:
2) people can not necessarily always tell that one is biracial based on their physical attributes. Remember that MANY Black people with two Black parents have light skin, straight/wavy hair, light eyes, light colored hair, non-African features, etc
You keep repeating this. I get it. So what?

Quote:
3) it sounds silly for biracials/multiracials to say that they are neither "this" nor "that"....embrace that you are both/all and don't become angry when people simply use the eyeball test to determine what you are because people mean no harm when they do this
Who's talking about anyone denying any part of their racial heritage? Certainly not me. I'm not angry either - and neither are my kids. They don't disavow anything about their heritage - they just prefer to embrace ALL of their racial heritage.

When someone asks about their race (which is very rare by the way), they simply say either, "I'm brown," or "I'm biracial." What's so difficult about that? Or silly?

I am not discussing what label OTHER people put on those of mixed racial heritage. I am discussing the rights of the mixed race person to identify themselves as THEY prefer, which is what this thread is about.

And I do think that anyone, black, white, asian, hispanic or anyone in between, who applies the "one drop rule" to their mentality and judgment of others smacks of Jim Crow.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-18-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I'm not uncomfortable with the history of black people. It is what it 'was'. There's nothing you or I can (or should) do about something that happended many, many generations ago...any more so than doing something or harping about something that happened thousands of years ago. It's not like the history happened last week! The people involved are long since dead, gone and things have changed. Get over it and move on for God's sake...and more importantly for your own sake, and for the sake of your own race!!!

It's because of people like you constantly bringing up multiple-generation old history that your own race continues to struggles. You try to 'use' ancient history as an excuse for your race's current problems when a large part of the problems are caused by your race's unwillingness to put this history to bed and move forward. Blacks will never (EVER) be able to move forward and overcome their problems and struggles as long as people like you continue harp on ancient history as an excuse. You know that (if you have an IQ over 70), I know that, and the world knows that. People like you (yes - YOU) are doing blacks a terrible injustice and harming your own people's progress by keeping old history alive and on the front burner. Let it go and move on for God's sake...and more importantly for your own sake, and for the sake of your own race!!!
Based upon your posting history you strongly dislike Black people, so what makes you think that any Black person with an ounce of common sense would follow your advice about what "we" should do/think/believe? That would be like a Black person seeking advice from David Duke.

The truth is that Black people who know their history scares the bejeezus out of people like you. People who know that the come from greatness can not be manipulated and lied to by those with malevolent intent.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
You are aware of this little thing called the Civil Rights Movement, aren't you? Yeah, blacks were oppressed in the US as late as the 1960's. Many of the people who lived under this oppressive system are alive today. Not exactly stuff that happened "many, many generations" ago.

Quote:
It's because of people like you constantly bringing up multiple-generation old history that your own race continues to struggle. You try to 'use' ancient history as an excuse for your race's current problems when a large part of the problems are caused by your race's unwillingness to put this history to bed and move forward. Blacks will never (EVER) be able to move forward and overcome their problems and struggles as long as people like you continue harp on ancient history as an excuse. You know that (if you have an IQ over 70), I know that, and the world knows that. People like you (yes - YOU) are doing blacks a terrible injustice and harming your own people's progress by keeping old history alive and on the front burner. Let it go and move on for God's sake...and more importantly for your own sake, and for the sake of your own race!!!
Newsflash: bringing up US slavery doesn't result in blacks struggling. If that were the case, how do you explain the struggles present in the white race?

What you fail to realize is that there are systems in place today that directly affect the success of (some) blacks. Or do you believe that all racists were eradicated when Obama became POTUS?

It is useless discussing this with you. You, more than likely, don't accept that there is a "white privilege" system in place in America. You have no idea about the liberties and opportunities and benefit of the doubt that is afforded to you because you are white. And until you do, you will remain clueless about this issue. And that's fine.....just try not to debate this issue with people who aren't clueless.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM

So, your struggles will continue and your people will largely be viewed as second class...thanks to you (calipoppy & choclot) and others like you.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am not discussing what label OTHER people put on those of mixed racial heritage. I am discussing the rights of the mixed race person to identify themselves as THEY prefer, which is what this thread is about.

And I do think that anyone, black, white, asian, hispanic or anyone in between, who applies the "one drop rule" to their mentality and judgment of others smacks of Jim Crow.
If its important to you then label away to your hearts content. Check whichever box makes you happy. But the fact remains that if you "look" Asian, people will assume that you are Asian. If you "look" Black, people will assume that you are Black. If you "look" Native American, people will assume that you are Native American.

I believe that most people in America are not intentionally applying the One Drop Rule however that is simply a cultural norm to use the eyeball test. Using the example of Halle Berry again. In the rest of the world her daughter (who has some visible Black features) would not be considered Black, she's only 1/4 Black. However, Halle Berry refers to her daughter as Black and most Americans are likely consider her child Black (biracial Black). I am not saying that it is right or wrong, I am just stating it is a fact.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
So, your struggles will continue and your people will largely be viewed as second class...thanks to you (calipoppy & choclot) and others like you.
Umm, can you direct me to the post in which these two suggested that blacks not get an education or have good work ethic, etc., whatever the hell you mean by "struggles" please? Thank you.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
My people? My people are the American people. I don't know who your people happen to be.

And why are you so threatened by Black Americans who are highly educated and know their history?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Only to the uninformed and the unenlightened...and I'm not interested in what they think. Especially when it's very likely that I am more successful and more educated than they are anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies