Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,709,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Problem is, as I pointed out, white Americans can and do call themselves German American, Italian American, etc. We cannot link ourselves to a country as every other American ethnic group can.
That is a very good point and one that most people never stop to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,570,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Funny you brought that up - a year ago when black immigrants in Europe...were rioting - CNN refered to them as African Americans...none of them had ever been to America - just like refereing to blacks in America as Africans - They are NOT from Africa...They are Americans.
The vast majority of those blacks in Britain who were involved in the rioting were NOT immigrants, but rather children or grandchildren or great-grandchildren of immigrants. They're black Britons, not African Americans. Many refer to themselves as African or Afro-Caribbean Britons.

Quote:

. After a couple of hundred years you become part of the new national family - not white - nor black...
How come my fellow Americans don't want me as part of their family?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 AM

313 posts, read 284,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Problem is, as I pointed out, white Americans can and do call themselves German American, Italian American, etc. We cannot link ourselves to a country as every other American ethnic group can.
True but that's because there were no defined borders in Africa when Europeans arrive and bought/traded slaves on the coast. There was a relatively limited geographical area in which Europeans (and by European I mean Britain, France, Portugal, Spain, etc as not all Europeans participated in the slave trade) bought/traded slaves.

So, you can really focus on that area to find your ethnic group it would be impossible to say what country you come from because there were no real countries in the Black Africa at that time nor a written language.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM

14,917 posts, read 8,533,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
I think you're confused. White people don't go around "announcing" we're white. We know we're white, and we believe it's easy enough for anyone else to figure it out too ... and if it's not obvious to them, well, telling them probably isn't going to help much

I have to bust a gut laughing at the hypocrisy of some people who claim to want to have a "Color Blind" society, yet they leave no effort undone to separate themselves and draw attention to their differences.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,959,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont consider myself white, even though that is what I am.
How does one not consider oneself to be white and then in the next breath state that they are white?

The deal is no more white people in fact or otherwise.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,959,708 times
Why are people discussing terms like African American, black, pink or purple?

I go away for just a little while and I come back to see that U People have hijacked my thread!

The topic is white people agreeing to eliminate the concept of whiteness!

So all you colored people just be quiet!

Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,192,597 times
Quote:
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
I think what you say makes a lot of sense. However, have you ever looked at various government papers we have to fill out along with those from businesses that ask about our racial background? I know that you can skip all of the fool questions and just go to the part about African-American. Have you ever noticed that most of those questionnaires ask if you are white and then ask if you are Hispanic? Hell, you can mark one mark and be done but I have to either skip the thing or mark two places.

How about we either forget all that racial stuff or just apply skin color. I pick the former and know you do too.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,192,597 times
Quote:
Why are people discussing terms like African American, black, pink or purple?

I go away for just a little while and I come back to see that U People have hijacked my thread!

The topic is white people agreeing to eliminate the concept of whiteness!

So all you colored people just be quiet!
Have you figured out how many jobs changing those questionnaires from the Census Bureau would cost? Get them alone changed and allow me to stop checking my race at new hospitals or the like and I am with you all the way.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,826,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
All Blacks in America (USA) who are part of the distinctive culture that came from the Middle Passage into slavery are of African ancestral origins.
And not all blacks here have distant ancestors who did that.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,399,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Many, many people are beginning to back Herman Cain.

I don't see how middle America can be accused of calling one man one color or another.

REPUBLICANS are looking at Cain .. seriously.

Can we stop this conversation of skin color?

NOPE. If a Black man is Conservative....Democrats will call him an Uncle Tom....even though it's not true. Most Blacks are Conservative morally.

But, the Democratic Party will remind them that only "REAL" Blacks care about them.

Good observation. I so agree with you. Why always bring up skin color. True what you say about some telling others that only Real Blacks care about them, tired of the brainwashing.

I do not care about color, as i do about the person, are they genuinely sincere, honest, and compassionate a person, that is what i truly care about. There are good bad and indifferent in each and everyone of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies