Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Ever since I have been following politics, I was always under the impression that conservatives consists of gun toting people who were religious buffs that had no coherent reasoning. Maybe this is from how the media portrays the conservative base. However, when I came on CD, I was shocked to see the intellectualism from the conservative perspective. I learned a lot on here.
There's some.

There's a lot more of the other kind, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There are some brilliant posters on both sides here.......it just takes a low level of comprehension to NOT realize it, or perhaps I should say to not admit it.
Can't think of any. Being pro-government automatically puts one on the wrong side imo. Government uses force, the free market allows choice. How can anybody argue that force is better than choice and competition? More choice encourages individualism and thought before action, as opposed to mindless robotic activity.
Conservatives promote individualism, liberals promote group-think, group identity politics. Few conservatives are extreme, but I believe most liberals are on the extreme end of the spectrum, because they are followers.
Most of the name-calling comes from liberals.

Last edited by claudhopper; 10-28-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 11:54 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Can't think of any. Being pro-government automatically puts one on the wrong side imo. Government uses force, the free market allows choice. How can anybody argue that force is better than choice and competition? More choice encourages individualism and thought before action, as opposed to mindless robotic activity.
Conservatives promote individualism, liberals promote group-think, group identity politics. Few conservatives are extreme, but I believe most liberals are on the extreme end of the spectrum, because they are followers.
Most of the name-calling comes from liberals.
Government doesn't always use force. The U.S. Government didn't use force to get the Berlin wall to be taken down.

Additionally I know quite a few people who are liberal, but who aren't the frothing at the mouth rabidly extreme.

Lastly, I have seen name calling from both sides of the isle, I try to avoid it, though I have to admit on several occasions, I have in fact made some unhealthy comparisons. <G>

Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
'

Hey, we can't all buy our college "degrees" from online stores like the CD super intellectual liberals... some of us had to actually sit in a college classroom on a real campus for years to get our diploma.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Are you kidding. Many of the rightwingers here cite The Blaze, Hot Air, Glen Beck, and the European Union Times as fact, but view university studies as suspect.
Not every conservative follows those sites/pundits, just the one's that scream talking points the loudest. There are a lot of good conservative ideas out there, and not all of us are embracing the fringe or extremist media. As a moderate conservative, most of us look at people who support Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin in the same manner that many families would view the backwoods uncle who lives in a trailer and spouts racist or inappropriate epitaphs. They don't speak for us, but they are embarresing nonetheless.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Not every conservative follows those sites/pundits, just the one's that scream talking points the loudest. There are a lot of good conservative ideas out there, and not all of us are embracing the fringe or extremist media. As a moderate conservative, most of us look at people who support Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin in the same manner that many families would view the backwoods uncle who lives in a trailer and spouts racist or inappropriate epitaphs. They don't speak for us, but they are embarresing nonetheless.
Excellent! Good to see rational thinking and truth coming from a conservative here, gives one hope that the GOP will distance themselves from the extremists and once again garner the respect of the American Voters.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I would have to say that, yes, there are some smart Conservative posters here that can carry on a intelligent discussion without the typical rants, mindless repeating of propaganda spewed by the right-wing talking heads and avoid resorting to name calling and personal attacks. As there are also Moderates and Liberals that can do the same and are just as articulate. Unfortunately, this is not the norm on this, and most other discussion forums, post here for a while and the OP will get a taste of reality. That said, I still say this is one of the best sites on the internet for such activities, vist some of the others and you will come back in a hurry if you are truely interested in discussion and, yes, we can even learn from eachother in the process.
That' true. When you sort through all the junk, this really is a good forum. I've had and read plenty of interesting discussions about all different issues here. That's why I keep coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketTime View Post
But us liberals are not stupid enough to believe in fairy tales.

When you believe in things like your zombie jebus, you lose all credibility.
not all libs are atheists. Some are Christian or have some personal faith in ahigher power.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Ever since I have been following politics, I was always under the impression that conservatives consists of gun toting people who were religious buffs that had no coherent reasoning. Maybe this is from how the media portrays the conservative base. However, when I came on CD, I was shocked to see the intellectualism from the conservative perspective. I learned a lot on here.
As a conservative I generally find Limbaugh and Beck cringe inducing maybe Beck has mellowed out somewhat since he's off Fox.

At anyrate I've always thought of liberals of having viewpoints that are devoid of reasoning, still do for the most part but there are some sane liberals on this board.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Always the typical cheap shots from the lefties.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Always the typical cheap shots from the lefties.
One can only suppose you have no sense of the satirical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies