Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Excellent! Good to see rational thinking and truth coming from a conservative here, gives one hope that the GOP will distance themselves from the extremists and once again garner the respect of the American Voters.
When you distance yourselves from Rachel, Ed, Lawrence, Maher, Huffington, Keith, Moore, Streisand etc. then we can all sing kumbaya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:10 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
As a conservative I generally find Limbaugh and Beck cringe inducing maybe Beck has mellowed out somewhat since he's off Fox.

At anyrate I've always thought of liberals of having viewpoints that are devoid of reasoning, still do for the most part but there are some sane liberals on this board.
You mean like the belief that teaching 12 year-olds how to have sex will cut down on teen pregnancy.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 10-28-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Ever since I have been following politics, I was always under the impression that conservatives consists of gun toting people who were religious buffs that had no coherent reasoning. Maybe this is from how the media portrays the conservative base. However, when I came on CD, I was shocked to see the intellectualism from the conservative perspective. I learned a lot on here.
The myth that conservatives are not intellectual is a result of the Religious Right who hijacked the Republican Party. Religious fervor is inversely proportional to IQ; in other words, the least intelligent will, in general, be the most religious. IQ vs. Religiosity

Conservatives who are not religious are far more intelligent than liberals, I've found. We grow more conservative as we grow older, have more life experiences, and become less naive about how the world actually works.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Conservatives who are not religious are far more intelligent than liberals, I've found. We grow more conservative as we grow older, have more life experiences, and become less naive about how the world actually works.
Yes and no. Nonreligious conservatives and liberals are likely more intelligent than religious conservatives. (Most religious liberals don't take a literal interpretation of the bible.) I'm a little embarassed to admit this because I'm a fairly religious guy who happens to be liberal, but when you've heard some of the conversations I've been in on with religious conservatives, it makes me cringe and want to do this.

Nonreligious conservatives are more interesting, and less frustrating to talk to, on average because I can have a conversation based on reason. and not some superstition.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Ever since I have been following politics, I was always under the impression that conservatives consists of gun toting people who were religious buffs that had no coherent reasoning. Maybe this is from how the media portrays the conservative base. However, when I came on CD, I was shocked to see the intellectualism from the conservative perspective. I learned a lot on here.
You must be joking right? You almost had me fooled for a minute.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,014 times
Quote:
Dry humor has never really appealed to me but this did provoke a chuckle.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This post proves my point:

Obama is an intellectual. Obama isn't doing a great job. Therefore no intellectuals should be trusted.

And so goes the logic of the GOP's moron wing....*sigh*
You can sigh all you want.

The left are the ones who state that obama is too smart for us.

Biden elitism - Obama too smart & well educated for you to relate to - YouTube

Obama Too Smart, Too Black for Declining America

Just two of many.

I don't make this stuff up, I just pay attention.

Oh, yea....*sigh*.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I know, Katiana. I guess that's why this lazy ******* is still working hard, paying off his student loans and trying to earn his keep without anyone's help. (I know. I've never gotten a free handout in my life outside of my family) But hey, why bust the stereotypes? We "intellectuals" know we're smarter, more capable of critical thought, and are in a class by ourselves.
But do you understand the Constitution?

You cannot be lib/progressive and understand the Constitution, let alone defend it.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You can sigh all you want.

The left are the ones who state that obama is too smart for us.

Biden elitism - Obama too smart & well educated for you to relate to - YouTube

Obama Too Smart, Too Black for Declining America

Just two of many.

I don't make this stuff up, I just pay attention.

Oh, yea....*sigh*.
Be able to deceive doesn't make you smart. It just makes you a liar.

I always told my coworkers the same thing when I was in sales. Deceiving someone is not selling. It's lying. If you make a sale based on a lie, you're not a good salesman. You're just a liar who learned how to profit form their flaws.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But do you understand the Constitution?

You cannot be lib/progressive and understand the Constitution, let alone defend it.
Yes, I do. I get paid to know it. I've read it several times, unlike many conservative posters here. I also think the U.S. Constitution, despite some flaws, is one of the greatest documents written in the modern era. I support it.

But again, why bust your cozy little stereotype that people like me hate my country and its founding documents--while you pat yourself on the back, thinking you're simply better than Americans like me because your political beliefs are different than mine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies