Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

I've never accused a libertarian of being an anarchist (although genetically they are cousins) just childish, or worse naively childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
As a libertarian living in Arlington County, Virginia, I was more than pleased to write them a check for my car taxes and decal because I SEE my tax dollars at work, and I know if something fails I have a vote to change how these tax dollars are used. In fact, I'm OK knowing that some of my LOCAL tax dollars are being used to help subsidize low-income housing at the LOCAL LEVEL. What's more, I am proud to pay a reasonable 5.5% income tax and 6% sales tax in Virginia because I know those dollars are going to good use and our state government isn't corrupt because both democrats and republicans in Richmond do a pretty solid job governing.
Well there was a time when folks like my aunt paid those same local taxes which financed the segregated school she taught at, that wouldn't allow her sons and daughters to marry outside of the "colored race" and enforced laws that wouldn't let her use the bathroom at Woolworth's. On the other hand her federal taxes ended the segregated school's, allowed for interracial marriage and opened up the bathroom at Woolworth's.

Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
help Brazil with oil exploration.
FYI, no tax dollars were lent to Brazil for oil exploration, that was a private loan, by private banks granted to Brazil through the Import Export Bank.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Do a search and you will find an epic battle between myself and someone saying just that.

Not saying its widespread, but it happens.
Why would she do something like search, it's easier just to troll and make false claims then never return.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've never accused a libertarian of being an anarchist (although genetically they are cousins) just childish, or worse naively childish.
More mature than race-baiting malcontents.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
More mature than race-baiting malcontents.
I suppose.

Of course it raises the question, who is more malcontented that libertarians? It isn't like you've ever governed anything. unlike Democrats or Republicans you've just sat on the sidelines bitching and moaning about your lack or "freedom" and how you if you got to run the show you would spend all your time wrecking the House... and the Senate. Which raises another question, if that is the case, why take umbrage when compared to your more radical soul mates the anarchist?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

How so? What is wrong with having less government intervention in our personal lives? Such as telling us what we can and cannot consume, whether it be food, or drugs or whatever? I understand there needs to be checks and balances, but whatever happened to and what is wrong with individuals taking responsibility for themselves for once? Hey I get it, s*** happens, and people go through rough times! I'm all for helping those who truly want to help themselves! But the ones that want to just sit back and get a paycheck on the back of us taxpayers but not have to work for it and constantly abuse the system, uh uh! Same goes for the big corporations who were given bailouts at the taxpayers expenses, then go and turn around and give big bonuses to their executives, and then get bailed out again! (AIG anyone) If I own a business, and I f*** up, then it's on me! Why should I be rewarded for failure?!

Myself personally, what I want to see is less government intrusion into peoples lives, such as things like the TSA, the war on drugs, and the banning of stupid s*** like happy meals, and licenses for what seems like EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED THING! Getting our troops from around the globe back where they belong right here in the USA, and quit playing the world cop and nation builder! I would also like to get the lobbyists out of Washington, and also stop this "too big to fail" crap! Just to name a few things.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Go to Post # 23, five back from yours. There it is.
OK I should've said "until this thread" I'd never heard that.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
How so? What is wrong with having less government intervention in our personal lives? Such as telling us what we can and cannot consume, whether it be food, or drugs or whatever? I understand there needs to be checks and balances, but whatever happened to and what is wrong with individuals taking responsibility for themselves for once? Hey I get it, s*** happens, and people go through rough times! I'm all for helping those who truly want to help themselves! But the ones that want to just sit back and get a paycheck on the back of us taxpayers but not have to work for it and constantly abuse the system, uh uh! Same goes for the big corporations who were given bailouts at the taxpayers expenses, then go and turn around and give big bonuses to their executives, and then get bailed out again! (AIG anyone) If I own a business, and I f*** up, then it's on me! Why should I be rewarded for failure?!

Myself personally, what I want to see is less government intrusion into peoples lives, such as things like the TSA, the war on drugs, and the banning of stupid s*** like happy meals, and licenses for what seems like EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED THING! Getting our troops from around the globe back where they belong right here in the USA, and quit playing the world cop and nation builder! I would also like to get the lobbyists out of Washington, and also stop this "too big to fail" crap! Just to name a few things.
Would rep you if I could.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Would rep you if I could.

Thanks! As I said, s*** happens. People go through tough times, and I am all for helping those truly in need, and those who want to strive to better their lives. We should all strive to do so! However it seems like things such as welfare is set up to keep people enabled, and I've actually had people who receive benefits tell me that it is easier to get more money and are encouraged to have more children, thus more benefits for doing so! I can't believe that people wouldn't find anything wrong with that??? With freedom comes individual responsibility. If you don't assume some sort of individual responsibility and rely on the government for support that isn't freedom! That's hardly a "********* I got mine" attitude that libertarians are assumed to have. If you ask me that is more of a neocon point of view.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times

The American Government - YouTube

Lets understand what Left and right wing really mean, and understand what libertarians really represent, we are the true moderates ... true conservative constitutional republicans.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-28-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies