Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Unlike some of you, I believe in a strong national defense. A strong and efficient national defense is a whole lot different than one full of bloat and waste. I say look at the areas of biggest spending and see what you can cut that will have little impact on services first--that's just good business. Defense is a likely candidate.
There is so much bloat in defense that it will boggle your mind. But any cuts to defense will hit red states/ counties hard. So its become all about stealing tax dollars and giving it to your preferred group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Some people hate their government so much that they want to hurt it and their method is to cut it, which means that a million people could lose their jobs. Are the government workers to blame? If not, why should they suffer? Why should they lose their job or have their benefits reduced? What if someone decided that your profession was overpaid and did the same thing to you?

It is foolish to choose a slash and burn strategy because you don't like something. I'm surprised at the level of destructive thinking that conservatives tend to offer when it comes to government. This is not the kind of thinking we need for what we all have a say in: government. Of course, the conservative mindset will argue with its "but..."s and make the silly assumption that liberal thinking is the exact opposite (meaning that liberals want to overspend or be wasteful), but that is simply not true. Liberals believe in government as a provider of solutions, not the source of problems, and it can be when people have their heads on straight and contribute sensibly to the process. Conservatives seem to just not want to participate in this winning strategy.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-28-2011 at 12:00 PM..

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
He is correct, the feds have been losing jobs. Also many departments have hiring freezes.
No he is not correct. The Obama admin added tens of thousands plus of government jobs over the last couple of years while the private sector has been hemorrhaging 10 times that in the same period. Where do you guys get your propaganda, errr, information from?

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Laugh all you want chielgirl.

Even 2 million is too many.

Many more when you look at State and Local employees, all sucking pensions that States can't afford to maintain.

It's your tax money and my tax money. Why flush it down a hole?
sorry charley

the level is on a good target..the federal workforce is SMALLER than when reagan was potus

Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sorry charley

the level is on a good target..the federal workforce is SMALLER than when reagan was potus
You are correct, however the number of contractors has TRIPLED in the same time frame. We have approximately 6 MILLION contractors to do federal work.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Do you have ANY facts or figures to back that up or is it just an assumption?
Are you telling me if we got rid of the EPA, which makes sure pollutants that cause birth defects and other health problems are regulated, we wouldn't see a rise in birth defects and other health problems?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Have you ever done business in China where there is no EPA? I have. Cancer and lung disease are through the roof. Also, just take a look at the history of USA and understand why EPA was created. We used to be a very filthy and polluted country.
Nope, but I've seen the atrocities in China and agree with you there.

The thing is though that I honestly dont believe you need them anymore, certainly not at the level you have now. I mean thats like saying we need a multi-billion dollar agency to make sure we put seat belts and air bags in cars. Sure some manufacturers might decide not to, but how long do you think they would stay in business?

our saftey standards are SO much better now than they were in the past, I dont think we need to be overloading business with these regulations that for the most part consumers have come to expect and demand.

Also, something I posted the other day:

Timeline: BPA from Invention to Phase-Out | Environmental Working Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
It took the NTP (a division of the NIH) to get BPA regulation right in 1982, after 16 years of the EPA having it wrong. Now sure the NTP/NIH is a government agency, but clearly there is some unnecessary overlap as illustrated by this. Oh, and after that, Consumer Reports (not the government) had involvement in linking the BPA issue to baby bottles...so yeah, huge and inefficient government "solutions" are not always the answer.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No he is not correct. The Obama admin added tens of thousands plus of government jobs over the last couple of years while the private sector has been hemorrhaging 10 times that in the same period. Where do you guys get your propaganda, errr, information from?
Dude, I do business in the DC area with many agencies and contractors. I know what I am taking about. You people living in other parts of the country have no clue what goes on here.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Are you telling me if we got rid of the EPA, which makes sure pollutants that cause birth defects and other health problems are regulated, we wouldn't see a rise in birth defects and other health problems?
I'm telling you its quite possible that getting rid of, or significantly reducing the EPA and leveraging other agencies would be a better solution, yes. See my previous post for one example.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
You are correct, however the number of contractors has TRIPLED in the same time frame. We have approximately 6 MILLION contractors to do federal work.
yep contractors that cost MORE than the federal worker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies