Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have cancer. Who is going to insure me to start my own business? Who is going to insure my friend with asthma (hint: no one)? Or my friend with depression (hint again: no one)? Quite frankly, a large population of people hit 22 or 23 and have some illness, often not serious, that makes them either uninsurable or priced out of health insurance. If you are unemployed, at least you might be able to qualify for some form of Medicaid. If you are bringing in an income, you are doubly screwed.

Also, if starting a business isn't hard, why do most fail within a few years? I would have loved to start my own business - but I recognize that sitting in college for 4 years does not give me the skills to freelance. I need to prove myself in the workplace. Not everyone is handy or has skills that translate to their own business straight out the gates. Most of us need a little training.
Wow I just read about half your post and had to stop. Serious Debbie Downer syndrome. That's why this country is in the crapper, about every other person has "special" issues and can find nobody to provide for them. Grow up burning the flag and then whine about the country not providing for you.
Tell your crew to just suck it up and drive on. That's what the American Way used to be, not bawling about what this guy or that guy has.
Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
I have cancer. Who is going to insure me to start my own business? Who is going to insure my friend with asthma (hint: no one)? Or my friend with depression (hint again: no one)? Quite frankly, a large population of people hit 22 or 23 and have some illness, often not serious, that makes them either uninsurable or priced out of health insurance. If you are unemployed, at least you might be able to qualify for some form of Medicaid. If you are bringing in an income, you are doubly screwed.

Also, if starting a business isn't hard, why do most fail within a few years? I would have loved to start my own business - but I recognize that sitting in college for 4 years does not give me the skills to freelance. I need to prove myself in the workplace. Not everyone is handy or has skills that translate to their own business straight out the gates. Most of us need a little training.

I also have cancer. I worked during the day and took chemo in the evening (every other day for six months). Don't ***** about what you can't do.

If you are uninsurable, as I am, you need to work for a bigger group that can absorb "high risk" patients as a part of their health plan. How to do it? Currently, buisness-ag firms are dying for people with buisness ag degrees who can speak Portugese or Chinese. Why not pull yourself off your butt and earn those degrees? Also software engineers are in very high demand. Get a degree there.

If you got an art or music major and cannot find a job, that is your own damn fault for being an idiot. Who in their right mind would think that they could find a job with such a degree?

There are plenty of jobs in America. You just need the right degree and a good work ethic and you will be fine. Even if you don't have the right degree, you can start a buisness of you are hard working. If you are a lazy pot head with an art degree, life will be hard on you, regardless of how much "protesting" you engage in.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I also have cancer. I worked during the day and took chemo in the evening (every other day for six months). Don't ***** about what you can't do.

If you are uninsurable, as I am, you need to work for a bigger group that can absorb "high risk" patients as a part of their health plan. How to do it? Currently, buisness-ag firms are dying for people with buisness ag degrees who can speak Portugese or Chinese. Why not pull yourself off your butt and earn those degrees? Also software engineers are in very high demand. Get a degree there.

If you got an art or music major and cannot find a job, that is your own damn fault for being an idiot. Who in their right mind would think that they could find a job with such a degree?

There are plenty of jobs in America. You just need the right degree and a good work ethic and you will be fine. Even if you don't have the right degree, you can start a buisness of you are hard working. If you are a lazy pot head with an art degree, life will be hard on you, regardless of how much "protesting" you engage in.
I will say this--picking up a high value language is a golden ticket right now. My niece graduated with a double major in communications and portuguese/spanish--she did semesters in both Brazil and Spain, and she's fluent in both. She planned on going into PR, and added the foreign language components because they were interesting to her. Communications is not the easiest major to find work in right now, but she started out at the bottom doing translation for marketing materials for an insurance head quarters (making nothing) until she was picked up by an international ag business company. She told just about everyone that she knew that she was looking for a job in her field, and someone made a contact for her. She's making twice what most kids her age do now serving as a contact person with their Brazilian distributors. It helped that she had a farm background. I think the trick to starting a business or finding a job right now is building skills that make you stand stand out, looking for a niche you can fill, and being relentless about looking for opportunities. It's hard, but it can be done.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can be on your parent's insurance until you are 26.
Part of Obamacare that kicked in this year.
My parents lost their health insurance when both of my parents lost their jobs within a week of each other. The whole family went without health insurance for over a year and my mom only recently got health insurance through her work (where she is paying over 30% of her take-home pay in premiums for both her and my father for bare minimum coverage).

While the new ruling is good for many people, if your parents are in a tough spot, dead, or estranged, you're screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I have a double major in international environmental policy (most courses taken in our international business school and economics department) and politics with a double minor in Latin American studies and environmental studies from one of the best universities in the country - yes, one of my career goals was agribusiness in Brazil. I speak Spanish fluently and used to speak Portuguese & French quite well (but not fluently since I have not lived in a country that spoke either language - chemo brain and lack of practice have killed a lot of my knowledge), know GIS, know a bit of programming (gaining more skills), and lived in Mexico and Iceland (where I studied renewable resource engineering). I passed the Foreign Service exam (my real career goal - now am barred for 5 years before I can even take the test again).

I'm not some slacker. I'm not entirely sure why you're talking about work ethic and "getting off my butt" in response to my post. I began an MBA 2 weeks after treatment ended. I have a job that requires a degree.

Quite frankly, I'm the norm, rather than the exception in most of the OWSers that I know.

Good for you that you could work full time with chemo without complaint. You're the first one I've met. You also must realize that all cancers and treatments are different and cause different reactions in people.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
My parents lost their health insurance when both of my parents lost their jobs within a week of each other. The whole family went without health insurance for over a year and my mom only recently got health insurance through her work (where she is paying over 30% of her take-home pay in premiums for both her and my father for bare minimum coverage).

While the new ruling is good for many people, if your parents are in a tough spot, dead, or estranged, you're screwed.

I have a double major in international environmental policy (most courses taken in our international business school and economics department) and politics with a double minor in Latin American studies and environmental studies from one of the best universities in the country - yes, one of my career goals was agribusiness in Brazil. I speak Spanish fluently and used to speak Portuguese & French quite well (but not fluently since I have not lived in a country that spoke either language - chemo brain and lack of practice have killed a lot of my knowledge), know GIS, know a bit of programming (gaining more skills), and lived in Mexico and Iceland (where I studied renewable resource engineering). I passed the Foreign Service exam (my real career goal - now am barred for 5 years before I can even take the test again).

I'm not some slacker. I'm not entirely sure why you're talking about work ethic and "getting off my butt" in response to my post. I began an MBA 2 weeks after treatment ended. I have a job that requires a degree.

Quite frankly, I'm the norm, rather than the exception in most of the OWSers that I know.

Good for you that you could work full time with chemo without complaint. You're the first one I've met. You also must realize that all cancers and treatments are different and cause different reactions in people.
I don't think you're a slacker--I'm just so sorry you're going through this . All I'm trying to say is don't give up. I've never been through anything like what you're going through, but I've had difficult times. It's hard. Keep talking--nothing in this world will change until real people stand up and demand that it be different. Hang in there and hugs...

Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Given that most people don't have as much extra money to spend as in the past and even well established businesses go belly up every day, I'm not so sure that's a realistic plan for all the young people.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
A big part of what I'm getting from the OWS crowd is that they just graduated from college with a degree in something-or-other and they can't "find" a job, or "nobody's hiring."
It's because school/college is a HUGE scam. Here is a viable solution: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...em-should.html

Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I will say this--picking up a high value language is a golden ticket right now. My niece graduated with a double major in communications and portuguese/spanish--she did semesters in both Brazil and Spain, and she's fluent in both. She planned on going into PR, and added the foreign language components because they were interesting to her. Communications is not the easiest major to find work in right now, but she started out at the bottom doing translation for marketing materials for an insurance head quarters (making nothing) until she was picked up by an international ag business company. She told just about everyone that she knew that she was looking for a job in her field, and someone made a contact for her. She's making twice what most kids her age do now serving as a contact person with their Brazilian distributors. It helped that she had a farm background. I think the trick to starting a business or finding a job right now is building skills that make you stand stand out, looking for a niche you can fill, and being relentless about looking for opportunities. It's hard, but it can be done.

There you have it. A hard working kid with her head out of her a*s. Life can work out pretty well for you if you work hard and plan. If you are devoted to going shirtless, banging drums, and taking dumps on Wall Street, things will probably not go well for you in life. Of course, with such "credentials", things will not even go well for the OWS protesters in a communist system, as they will always be at the bottom of the pile.

Wake up. Life is a little more simple than these OWS idiots are making it out to be. Of course, if you are a moron, life will always be complicated and difficult. Ask any moron.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Send an application to Pioneer, John Deere, Cargill, Dreyfus, or Monsanto. You would be hired in a minute. Hell, I have friends in the upper eschelon at Pioneer and Deere and know that they are looking for such people.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Like all things there will be some people who will be successful and can then point to everyone else and say "if I can do it so can you". But we all know that isn't true. The problem is that right now there is less opportunity to "do it" than ever before, and more very expensive "must haves" than ever before. I'm not talking about flat screen tv's and smart phones (although in some instances you can make a good case for that when running your own business), I mean the costs of things you need like food, gas, medical care, housing, vehicles, etc. It really is a tough place to be right now and anyone staying otherwise is an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies