Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
School should be whatever we parents determine, for our own kids. Our was, because I homeschooled them.
good job. i bet they are much better of for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I agree about art, but that's already optional once students reach a certain grade level. I disagree making history optional. History is important, and I don't think I ever got less than a B in a history class.

Due to the fact we have fallen from the top 10 spot in math, reading, and science, it might be best to make school year round. That means no more 2 1/2-3 months summer breaks, or at the very most, reduce it down to 4 weeks. By the time students come back after a 3 months vacation, most have forgot most of the material they learned last school year; I know I did.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-28-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hmmm.

Start school at age 8, go for 8 years. That comes out to 16 in the counting system I use (base 10). The OP's system has it at 14.
Let me teach you something in 5 minutes that you did not learn your whole life.

First off, 14 sounds better than 15. But check this out (you can read this slowly to understand it), because school usually starts in the 3rd quarter of the each year, most birthdays would of already taken place. So let's say you turn 8 in January.. well when you start school in August and graduate 1st => 2nd in May you are 9. Duh!

So depending on the age & registration cutoff, it would look like this:

age 7/8 = 1st grade
age 8/9 = 2nd grade
age 9/10 = 3rd grade
age 10/11 = 4th grade
age 11/12 = 5th grade
age 12/13 = 6th grade
age 13/14 = 7th grade
age 14/15 = 8th grade

PS - Hey North Beach Person, don't get a job at the requires using a cash register. Please. I want exact change back with my #1 value meal. (If you need help ask one of the 14 year olds that just graduated high school, because they are just as sharp as the 18 year olds working there.)

Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Kids start school at age 8

Grades would be 1st grade through 8th grade

1st through 7th:
-[mandatory] - Math, Reading, Writing
-[mandatory] - Physical Education
-[mandatory] - Computer Classes
-[optional] - history
-[optional] - science
-[optional] - arts

8th grade:
- Classes includes drivers ed, getting driver license
- Banking/Credit card class (understanding credit, etc)
- Introduction to trades, types of jobs, etc.

No 9th through 12th. No more useless knowledge. Boom. Done.

At age 14 the kid graduates high school with these choices:
  • Go to a College
  • Get a job
  • Part Time Job while going to College

Life would be better and less painful to most.
What is it that the kids and would-be hipsters say nowadays?

Oh, right.

"EPIC FAIL"

I can't even begin to rip this apart in detail. It would take hours.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I can't even begin to rip this apart in detail. It would take hours.
You don't sound very smart to me. Read this: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...explained.html

Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You don't sound very smart to me. Read this: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...explained.html

Well THAT's a blow to my ego that might take forever for me to recover from.

......or about 3 seconds.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Let me teach you something in 5 minutes that you did not learn your whole life.

First off, 14 sounds better than 15. But check this out (you can read this slowly to understand it), because school usually starts in the 3rd quarter of the each year, most birthdays would of already taken place. So let's say you turn 8 in January.. well when you start school in August and graduate 1st => 2nd in May you are 9. Duh!

So depending on the age & registration cutoff, it would look like this:

age 7/8 = 1st grade
age 8/9 = 2nd grade
age 9/10 = 3rd grade
age 10/11 = 4th grade
age 11/12 = 5th grade
age 12/13 = 6th grade
age 13/14 = 7th grade
age 14/15 = 8th grade

PS - Hey North Beach Person, don't get a job at the requires using a cash register. Please. I want exact change back with my #1 value meal. (If you need help ask one of the 14 year olds that just graduated high school, because they are just as sharp as the 18 year olds working there.)
All school districts have a cut-off birth date, e.g. in my district you must be 5 by Sept. 30 to start kindergarten. It's not done by calendar year. The OP said start at 8, not 7-8. If all kids had to be 8 by Sept. 30, very few would be under 8 when school started. A student would be 15 at the start of 8th grade under this system, and 16 when s/he graduated, with few exceptions.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Well THAT's a blow to my ego that might take forever for me to recover from.

......or about 3 seconds.
That's a typical american response. You just follow the herd. You don't like something because your friends feel that way but you deep down inside don't know why.

It is simple. Why go to school all your life? For what? Life is TOO short. Can you understand that or are you going to reply with more eyes rolling (like a teenaged girl).

Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
That's a typical american response. You just follow the herd. You don't like something because your friends feel that way but you deep down inside don't know why.

It is simple. Why pay for commercials? Can you understand that or are you going to reply with more eyes rolling (like a teenaged girl).
No, I don't like this collection of ideas because they're patently stupid. To dispute them individually is to lend credibility.

In fact, if someone sitting on the ground in a subway station wearing shabby clothes delivered these ideas to me verbally, I'd look at them with an uncontrollable look of pity on my face, throw a fitsky in their cup, and get on my train.

Any questions?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ok, explain what happens to Joe Smith under OP's school system:

Joe Smith, at 14, decides he wants to be a mechanic. He hasn't taken science or history classes since they were optional and he didn't see the point. Joe does well in school, takes up his trade and earns a decent living until he is 26 years old. When he is 26 years old, the Widget Corporation, introduces a completely automated mechanic computer system. It cuts the mechanic workforce by 60%. Joe is one of the casualties.

Because Joe left school at 16, after concentrating solely on a mechanics curriculum, he has no other skills. Not only does not have any other skills, he has very little education to fall back on. He can't find another job because his training is now obsolete. He can't go back to college because (1) he can't afford it and (2) he doesn't have the educational credits needed to get in.
Reposting for Negotiator. How would this work under your educational plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies