Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times

Advertisements

At least, this guy is doing a fine job of maintaining the Texas stereotype, now that this thing is going national. This sucks... and of all places, two hours outside of Austin, people will always have the mentality that all of Texas is like this. this really, really, really sucks. i hope this man's license gets suspended and starts learning to keep his mouth shut. I know this is a free country and there's freedom of speech, but what's the saying? "with great power, comes great responsibility". That's how free speech works... you need extremely responsible and rational people to properly use this power of liberty.

Ad for gun training bars Muslims and Obama voters | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Last edited by Bo; 10-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Moved from Texas forum and title updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 AM

593 posts, read 1,377,794 times
What's wrong with simply saying, I own a business and I am not going to serve these people? I know it doesnt fit the business model bcuz it might cost him money. I know that many are going to argue about discrimination too but as a consumer I would rather know up front who wants my business and who doesnt. That way I can spend my money where I want. Businesses already have signs up like: we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. So, really, whats the differnce?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
"But the state of Texas may disagree. The Department of Public Safety said in a statement that certified instructors of handgun training are required to comply with all applicable state and federal laws, and added: "Conduct by an instructor that denied service to individuals on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion would place that instructor's certification by the Department at risk of suspension or revocation." The department has said it has begun an investigation."

How very, very sad.

He should be left alone to conduct his business, and train whomever he pleases.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
"Texas stereotype"?

Bigotry is a Texas thing?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
"Texas stereotype"?

Well, evidently not, as anyone who thinks that about an entire state is clearly bigoted themselves.

Bigotry is about the bigot, not about whatever the object of their bigotry is. The object could be based on race, it could be based on political party (some Democrats, for example, who pride themselves on their open-mindedness, have some very obviously bigoted terms for Republicans, and vice versa), it could be based on State (as in those who have this completely inaccurate picture of Texas that they insist is true for the entire State), could be just about anything that the bigot can find to fixate their bigotry on.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
maybe it will help the traffic problem by stopping folks from coming down?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
There are buffoons like this everywhere. There was a business owner up in Cleveland (Taxidermy/bait & tackle) that hung all kinds of signs in his windows to egg on and offend people (gays, liberals, etc...) The more it enraged folks the more he enjoyed it. I prefer to ignore them.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
If Texas has a stereotype of having freedom of speech; that is a good thing.

Actress Brigitte Bardot fined £12,000 for racial hatred | Mail Online

I imagine in much of Europe this guy would be arrested for being free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
At least, this guy is doing a fine job of maintaining the Texas stereotype, now that this thing is going national. This sucks... and of all places, two hours outside of Austin, people will always have the mentality that all of Texas is like this. this really, really, really sucks. i hope this man's license gets suspended and starts learning to keep his mouth shut. I know this is a free country and there's freedom of speech, but what's the saying? "with great power, comes great responsibility". That's how free speech works... you need extremely responsible and rational people to properly use this power of liberty.

Ad for gun training bars Muslims and Obama voters | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
"Texas stereotype"?

NO, it is not. That's my point... that it is simply a stereotype people have about Texas, which isn't true. But this guy is doing a good job keeping that stereotype alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, evidently not, as anyone who thinks that about an entire state is clearly bigoted themselves.

Bigotry is about the bigot, not about whatever the object of their bigotry is. The object could be based on race, it could be based on political party (some Democrats, for example, who pride themselves on their open-mindedness, have some very obviously bigoted terms for Republicans, and vice versa), it could be based on State (as in those who have this completely inaccurate picture of Texas that they insist is true for the entire State), could be just about anything that the bigot can find to fixate their bigotry on.
You do understand that I don't think this about Texas, right?? I'm saying the guy is a douche... and wish there were not people like this in Texas, or anywhere else.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
What's wrong with simply saying, I own a business and I am not going to serve these people? I know it doesnt fit the business model bcuz it might cost him money. I know that many are going to argue about discrimination too but as a consumer I would rather know up front who wants my business and who doesnt. That way I can spend my money where I want. Businesses already have signs up like: we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. So, really, whats the differnce?
But the point is, that it isn't just about some guy's way of running his business. Anyone can run his business anyway they want... but it's the context of things that makes it all the more compelling and controversial.

My contention, however, is that after this has gained national attention, people will keep assuming this about Texas. And this in particular is what sucks about it. Someone who's never been to Austin, will assume that Austin is filled with these types of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies