Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,917,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Guy was a hero. Nothing more needs to be said.

Right on!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Army Ranger Killed On 14th Deployment To War Zone | Fox News

My heart goes out to his wife and kids but something that has been nagging at me is that it seems a little selfish of this guy to leave his wife and kids to go off and fight a war no matter how much he believed in it. If he didn't have kids fine. Go off and be mr. gi joe. But the minute you have kids in my opinion is the minute it's your priority to make sure your butt stays alive and they have a father in their lives. Why have kids if you are doing 14 frickin deployments to a war zone? I don't get it. And replies can keep all the hoo ya pseudo patriotic mumbo jumbo to yourselves. Family and your children should trump EVERYTHING.....even a senseless war on terrorism.
I agree with you completely...

Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,667,389 times
Quote:
Army Ranger Killed On 14th Deployment To War Zone | Fox News

My heart goes out to his wife and kids but something that has been nagging at me is that it seems a little selfish of this guy to leave his wife and kids to go off and fight a war no matter how much he believed in it. If he didn't have kids fine. Go off and be mr. gi joe. But the minute you have kids in my opinion is the minute it's your priority to make sure your butt stays alive and they have a father in their lives. Why have kids if you are doing 14 frickin deployments to a war zone? I don't get it. And replies can keep all the hoo ya pseudo patriotic mumbo jumbo to yourselves. Family and your children should trump EVERYTHING.....even a senseless war on terrorism.
so what are we supposed to do, let only people who are single enlist in the military? never let military personnel marry until they leave the military?

who is next? do we not hire cops or firefighters unless they too are, and remain single? and what about others who have dangerous professions? how far are you willing to prevent people from either serving their country/community? do we tell people they can only get married and have children if they never risk their lives in any manner?

gee i am sorry sir, but you cant donate your kidney/liver/blood because you have children at home, and there is the possibility that you may die as a result of this donation. never mind that the person that needs said kidney/liver/blood is in dire need of it and they WILL die without the transplant.

our military is an all volunteer force, and as such the men and women of the military choose that line of work for a variety of reasons. and to prevent them from marrying and having children because they choose that profession, or preventing the from joining the profession because of children, is a violation of their rights.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,377,371 times
Quote:
Im sure this guy could have taken a different job by his 14th deployment to a combat zone. Cops and firemen are apples and oranges.
Not really. You can die any day on the job for any of these jobs. It's not a warzone for the police or firefighters, but not quite apples and oranges in terms of the risk of personal harm.

Sentiments like this are why this country is failing on a global level. It's hard, try something else...boo-hoo.

The soldier was doing his duty, not just his job. He didn't punk out, didn't try to get a trophy just for showing up at the soccer match like so many parents like these days. He was out in it- as his job mandated. Disagree with the war, but not a man being a man, which is in short supply these days.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,161,498 times
The question posed by the OP is one that is often posed by those who have no contact or understanding of soldiers or the military. He went back to fight, because the military is his family as well. Soldiers feel a strong sense of loyalty to their brothers and sisters in arms.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:47 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,033,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The question posed by the OP is one that is often posed by those who have no contact or understanding of soldiers or the military. He went back to fight, because the military is his family as well. Soldiers feel a strong sense of loyalty to their brothers and sisters in arms.

Listen to what you are saying. Seriously stop and think about that. YOU HAVE TWO FRICKING LITTLE GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU BROUGHT TWO HUMAN BEINGS INTO THIS WORLD! IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure they are protected, cared for, etc. His brothers in arms come second to his children. It's not like this guy was on his 1st or 2nd deployment to a combat zone. It was his 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy probably couldn't handle being a father or even handle civillian life after spending that much time in a combat zone. That is the reason many of these guys go back. It has nothing to do with being a hero, save that bs for other sheep. And yes I would think after you bring two little girls into this world and having served enough years in a hot combat zone as a special operations Ranger it is HIS DUTY to take another less dangerous job. If you're going to go be Mr. war hero at 29 years old don't bother having kids and brining life into this world if you're not going to be there to raise them. This guy kept going back and back and back. Enough is enough. Seriously, why have a family if you aren't even going to be there to take care of it? War or not. And there are no heros in war. War is hell.

And yes maybe we need to have some sort of policy in place that after a certain number of tours in a combat zone you have done your job and should go take care of your damn family. Maybe if Americans didn't put war first we wouldn't be bankrupt and have 20,000K + troops with their arms and legs blown off and thousands more children without mothers and fathers. It's truly amazing how we glorify war in this country.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,033,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Not really. You can die any day on the job for any of these jobs. It's not a warzone for the police or firefighters, but not quite apples and oranges in terms of the risk of personal harm.

Sentiments like this are why this country is failing on a global level. It's hard, try something else...boo-hoo.

The soldier was doing his duty, not just his job. He didn't punk out, didn't try to get a trophy just for showing up at the soccer match like so many parents like these days. He was out in it- as his job mandated. Disagree with the war, but not a man being a man, which is in short supply these days.

No the warmongering and glorification of war by sheep like you is what is ruining this country. EVERYTHING we do nowadays is because of war and making war. You realize how decimated our economy would be without war right now. We are the largest arms exporter in the world. The military industrial complex is one of the biggest most powerful most expansive and expensive sectors of our economy. How much of our national debt is based on senseless and unnecessary war. You sir are so pathetically misguided and mistaken as to what is truly killing our country.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM

175 posts, read 301,948 times
You're already obviously biased against this so I don't know how much use there is in answering you. However, by your standards it sounds like you're saying only single people should do a job that can be dangerous. Apparently you don't count parents, siblings, etc as family. What about police, firefighters, truck drivers (more people get killed in road side accidents than Soldiers at war), gas station owners (those places get held up all the time), etc? There are thousands of jobs where people get killed or seriously injured but someone needs to do the job. The military helps Soldiers provide for said families and yes, it can be dangerous but statistically more Soldiers have actually died stateside during accidents ordinary civilians also die from than over in a warzone. It's horrible for anyone to lose a loved one but I have no doubt his teammates will be there to help his family through it. Some people have a hard time in the military, some love it and clearly he did. He died doing a job he felt strongly enough about to keep doing for all this time which is more than can be said for a lot of people in this world especially with how many people hate their jobs. Dangerous jobs aren't just for single people. I feel for his family but I see no issue with people with families staying in the military if that's what makes them happy.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,155,989 times
One can argue that he felt he was helping to keep his family from harms way by killing as many would be terrorists as he could.
I served while I had a familiy and I took good care of them while I served.
I got out when Clinton was elected because he held the military in such low regard. I elected not to serve under such a commander and chief. I was against both wars because anyone who ever served in that region knows you dont win their hearts and minds and that their loyalties are fleeting at best.
That said I understand his motivation and those who never served probibly can't.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
When I read the title of this thread, I thought the op would be about parents who rode motorcycles and flew airplanes or went mountain climbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies