Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
You've gotten plenty of answers here that you seem to want to ignore. Why don't you stop counting on everyone else to do your research for you.
Ah, I gone through each and every page and besides folks being tongue and cheek by suggesting Somalia, the name of not a single "small government" nation seems to have made the cut.

Now I don't expect anyone to do my research for me, especially considering how badly they do it for themselves, but if you would be ever so kind to post what you think I missed just this one time, I would be eternally grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Becoming a super-power, again, on the backs of people of color. Post-Wilson was no better than pre-Wilson. Just change the country of origin and where the resources came to continually grow the blackhole formally known as the federal government.

There's a reason why the founding fathers spoke of "limited" government and it being a "necessary" evil.

You have your "successful" "liberal" government and what have you been doing for the last decade? Complaining about wars, debt, rights, etc. You thought it was all Bush and then Obama graces your presence.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Becoming a super-power, again, on the backs of people of color.
I'm shocked that you would say something like that, and not in a bad way (although it is a bit oversimplified... but hey).

Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm shocked that you would say something like that, and not in a bad way (although it is a bit oversimplified... but hey).
It started with Africa, moved to Central and South America, is now in the Middle East and will end in Africa. We've got the governement we've asked for.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-30-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Clinton paid down the public debt by "borrowing" from social security.

I think that started a little bit before Clinton...Also even taking that into account he still did run a surplus.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, well, well... lookie here! We have a genuwine Union worker who thinks that without the Unions, the EVIL capitalist pig business owners will force them to work for menial wages and long hours and not give them a share of the profits that they think they deserve (even though they have no clue how to run the business, let alone the intelligence to design and build the product, nor have they put a cent of their money at risk).

You guys think that you made it all happen, and you think that without Unions we would fall right back to the days of the sweat shops.

Well now we have different circumstances. We have Unions milking businesses for far more than they deserve and making our US made products uncompetitive in the world market. We have Unions believing they deserve a share of the innovations of someone else who had the brains to conceive of a great product and knew how to get it built and market it (Apple Computer comes to mind), investing their own risk capital, the sweat of their own brow, and giving up family time to see to it that that business became a success.

Union workers work an 8 hour shift and go home. They have no responsibility beyond that, and they do not have the smarts to run the business. They are paid to do a job: Attach bolt 'A' and tighten to 'x' foot/lbs.

You have no claim on the profits unless there is a profit sharing plan as part of your employment contract. You are not an owner of the business, and you do not provide "brain power". You were hired to do a single job. Period.

And as far as public employees go, and their unions, you are bankrupting your states. What homeowner would hire a gardener and pay him more than he himself earns? That is what we have going on with the public employee unions. They demand more than their private sector counterparts earn, and WE the TAX PAYER are expected to fork over and support their luxurious life style!

The gravy train ride is over! It is way past time for that train to stop at the station and debark it's passengers, who have been riding for too long on the taxpayers dime.

I should add that as the General Manager of a large S. California retail store (one in the chain) on the order of a Dillard's, my wife regularly put in AT LEAST 60 hours/week, and for less money than most union workers get doing their menial tasks (and get to go home after their 8 hour shift).

Sorry, I have no sympathy for union thugs.
And I have no desire to argue with stupid people who don't understand what other people say.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Pre Woodrow Willson. OK. In that america the vast majority of the population had no right to vote. Women in most states could not vote. Even though African Americans were the Majority in South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana they had no right to vote. Segregation was rampant in the south, but that was only one problem. The vast majority of rural southerners lived in grinding poverty, many without running water, or electricity. There were also outbreaks of malaria throughout the south. Northern and Midwestern cities were hardly better slums as were massive and unsafe. Young children worked in mines, and factories, without any safety requirements. The systems of sharecropping and company mining towns dominated the southern states and they were little better then slavery.

That sounds a whole lot like the 3rd world to me. You want to go back to that? I will take the America of today or any Post Wilson "liberal time" over that.
The entire 20th century was a war... Coincidence or something more "manifest" in its "destiny?"

Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I think that started a little bit before Clinton...Also even taking that into account he still did run a surplus.
And why does that even matter? Using Social Security is what we're doing now with the payroll tax cut. It's on its last leg as we speak.

There may not be any successful small governments but in a very short time, relatively speaking, it is most likely about to be foisted on y'all. Let's hope it's not anywhere near as sinister as the examples given.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
And I have no desire to argue with stupid people who don't understand what other people say.
I think you made yourself pretty clear. You are pro-union all the way.

Now go back to your OWS friends (which are supported by the Unions and other liberal organizations).

Old 10-30-2011, 12:00 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think you made yourself pretty clear. You are pro-union all the way.

Now go back to your OWS friends (which are supported by the Unions and other liberal organizations).
Well, thank you for establishing that what you think is not something to give any heed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies