Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I'm not going to address your other rants because they are childish.
The only thing childish is your refusal to answer questions posed because you backed failed beliefs. Ignore and deny all you want.
So tell me how much of Swedens government budget is used for foreign wars since 1809? keep running

Quote:
Your main contention is that the government causes the problems. My contention is that government regulations are a reaction to failures in the market.
You fail to realize it is government that causes those failures. The government manipulated market which is not the free market. You continue to treat the symptom and not the cause. That is your failure

Quote:
Before the Tri-Angle fire in the early 1900's, NYC didn't have fire codes. You can't blame government for letting the market do what it wanted. After the fire, government saw a need to regulate fire safety.

There has been a period before federal regulation of food that suppliers have tried to sell tainted meat, canned goods and produce. You can't blame government for that problem. That was caused by unregulated industries. After that, government saw a need to regulate food safety.

we can go on and add oil drilling regulations; environmental regulations; etc. It's clear there is no market force encouraging environmental protection, as evident by the fact that when there wasn't an EPA the auto industry produced dirty emission vehicles and chemical companies spewed raw waste into public waters.

You also said above "the free market always works." I just illustrated examples where it did not until government got involved.
My mistake. Our problems have been solved then. We have no more fires. We have no more tainted food. We have no more oil spills. We have no more pollution.
Think before you post.
People can't sue for damages because the EPA said company X was within THEIR guidelines. Gee I wonder which industries are making those rules?

How did all those regulations which government didn't enforce work on the recent Gulf oil spill? I have an idea since government didn't enforce those regulations lets put more regulations on the books. The government officials in charge of regulations has grown from 60k to 250k in the last 50 years. Aint government grand, protecting us from ourselves.
When I go into a restaurant to buy lemonade I always look for their food and safety notices sicne I cannot decide for myself if that restaurant is "healthy" enough for me to dine in. If the bathrooms are filthy or the server is dirty it doesn't matter because that restaurant has their certificates. Why should I bother listening to friends who tell me that restaurant is not a good place to dine when I have government telling me, through a visit once a year, it's safe?
Of course the only reason I go into that place for the lemonade is because government has shut down the neighborhood kids lemonade stand "for my own good".

Quote:
The major problem is that you believe in myths.
LMAO Your major problem is you make things up and cannot use facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 33,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
If you have sex in sweden without a condom, you can be charged with rape

If you workout and build your body in sweden, you can be arrested, put up on charges, and tested for steroids...

Nanny state
If u find a girl who agrees to sex with condom only, is ok to lie to her and say that you are wearing condom when you´re actually not?
(Theres only been one case of this in Sweden and its an obvius arranged setup. Its Julian Assange, some ppl wants him to shut up)

To work out in some gyms in Sweden you have to sign an agreement not to use steroids and that they can test you for it. I´d be surprised if this doesnt exists in the US.

Tell me more about the nanny state.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Republicans, conservatives, tea partiers, and libertarians love to talk about the government doing less and shrinking government. I'm just curious if those who think government should be smaller, or shouldn't do much, could point to a country where their political philosophy is currently put in place and is showing good results.

we the USA have not had small goverment since before 1913. look before then to find your example, and it did work then, and could work once again.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
They can't because conservatism has never worked.
So please give me a better alternative. An alternative that has tangible plusses.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times
I would say that it would work only in smaller countries that are largely homogenous, in terms of demographics. Such countries would also need to have low levels of crime and plenty of natural resources.

Hong Kong (under British rule) and Switzerland are the only examples that spring to mind. The Swiss succeed partly because of their neutrality and the fact that they spend little on defense (majority of people are required to own guns).

Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I would say that it would work only in smaller countries that are largely homogenous, in terms of demographics. Such countries would also need to have low levels of crime and plenty of natural resources.

Hong Kong (under British rule) and Switzerland are the only examples that spring to mind. The Swiss succeed partly because of their neutrality and the fact that they spend little on defense (majority of people are required to own guns).
I looked up Hong Kongs natural resources.
Metalliferous minerals and non-metalliferous industrial minerals in the onshore area;
Quarried rock and building stone;
Offshore sand deposits.

Don't use that land locked sand, get the offshore stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies