Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

So says an Iraqi immigrant. The story isn't really about the economy of the USA but I found the quote profound and accurate.

Quote:
A high school graduate, he felt his options were working at McDonald’s or following the path of many an immigrant and starting a business. He and his brother-in-law tried running a small grocery, but they said they gave up because taxes were too high to make a profit.

“I lost faith in the States as far as opening a small business,” said Mr. Subiahi, who gave a blistering critique of America’s financial priorities. “They take care of the really poor people who can’t afford bread or who don’t want to work, or they take care of the wealthy people.”

Gesturing toward his mother, Haifaa, he said she could find only menial work in the United States, even though she had been a school principal in Iraq. “In one country, you work as a cafeteria worker, and in one country, you are a school principal,” he said. “Where would you rather be?”
Yup that sounds like America of today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/wo...n-us.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Thanks for the link Edward--nice bit of reporting there by the NYT. It is ironic that we liberate Iraq and an Iraqi comes over here only to have his dreams of opening a business quashed by taxes and regulation.

I think the article generally evinces a 50-50 outcome for the 8 year effort in Iraq. On one hand the former interpreter now fears for his life because of his association with the US military. On the other hand the father reports that his people tell him bless W Bush, and bless the US. I think we're really pulling out of there way too soon. Why do we still have troops in places like Germany and Japan, but can't keep a presence in Iraq for a few more years?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
or perhaps he's not a good businessman? I have a family member who is a immigrant & ran a successfull grocery with his family and expanded to owning a bar & a pizzeria in addition to opening other stores. How many grocery stores across the US run by immigrants do you see that are successfull? I've seen a lot so the guy plays the BS game of taxes & regulations? Sounds like a cop out.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
or perhaps he's not a good businessman? I have a family member who is a immigrant & ran a successfull grocery with his family and expanded to owning a bar & a pizzeria in addition to opening other stores. How many grocery stores across the US run by immigrants do you see that are successfull? I've seen a lot so the guy plays the BS game of taxes & regulations? Sounds like a cop out.
Exactly, what kind of grocery store? Maybe there wasn't enough people who liked his brand of food. And as for as the Iraqii principle, does she realise what kind of education and years teaching it takes to become a principle in the US?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
He should go back.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Half of the businesses started within the US fail within their first year of operation. 95% of the businesses started within the US fail within their first five years of operation.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Listen to Glitch. Most start up businesses fail unless they have a unique product and lots of investment capital. This is the "Land of Opportunity" only if you have enough money to get through the start up period.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So says an Iraqi immigrant. The story isn't really about the economy of the USA but I found the quote profound and accurate.

Yup that sounds like America of today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/wo...n-us.html?_r=1
I'm surprised that you identify with the plight of a Muslim who is struggling financially. Also, as a Muslim, opening up a business in an area that is full of liquor stores, strip clubs and churches poses some serious hurdles.
Quote:
But as an Iraqi, and a Muslim, he finds living here easier than in his family’s new home in Lincoln, Neb., where strip clubs, liquor stores and churches are part of the nearby suburban landscape.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,001 times
So a failure hikes back to his previous country and whines about America?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
I guess he forgot one of the most important start up costs of a business in America. An accountant to help you get out of those taxes and move your money off shore. Duh. Oh, and I hope he wasn't stupid enough to sell American made products............can't compete with Wally Mart that way. He needs American business 101!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies