Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

It appears the dastardly Qaddafi made polygamy very difficult to be practiced since he ushered a law requiring the 1st wife to publicly proclaim her consent.

Now the new leader wants the law scrapped since it's not Sharia compliant. Needless to say many women in Libya are not keen on the idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/wo...ed=1&ref=world

Quote:
In announcing the success of the Libyan revolution and calling for a new, more pious nation, the head of the interim government, Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, also seemed to clear the way for unrestricted polygamy in a Muslim country where it has been limited and rare for decades.

It looked like a sizable step backward for women at a moment when much here — institutions, laws, social relations — is still in play after the end of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s 42 years of authoritarian rule.

In his speech, Mr. Abdel-Jalil declared that a Qaddafi-era law that placed restrictions on multiple marriages, which is a tenet of Islamic law, or Shariah, would be done away with. The law, which stated that a first wife had to give permission before others were added, for instance, had kept polygamy rare here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
It's such a shame Qaddaffi had to die. He was probably the kindest, most benevolent dictator the world has ever known. Such a sad loss for the world. We are worse off without him.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 AM

I should say, by the way, that I don't think it's cool to lift restrictions on polygamy. I do agree with Libyan women in the article and that it would be a step back for women.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,814 times
Dry your tears and continue the fight: the one you were shown was not Muammar Al-Gaddafi

According to reports reaching us, the martyr humiliated and presented as Muammar Al-Gaddafi, in videos and photographs that have been shown around the world, has been identified as the real person actually called Ali Majid Al Andalus who was an inhabitant of Sirte in Libya and was famous for his resemblance to the brother Leader of the El Fateh Revolution.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
It's such a shame Qaddaffi had to die. He was probably the kindest, most benevolent dictator the world has ever known. Such a sad loss for the world. We are worse off without him.
Yes, I'm sure the new dictator will be loads better. Billions of dollars well spent.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, I'm sure the new dictator will be loads better. Billions of dollars well spent.
I didn't say the new leaders would be better and I personally wasn't a fan of getting involved in Libya. I'll wait and see, myself. But I'm sick of all these threads making Qaddafi out to be some saint when he wasn't.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
here, where divorce is mostly assets going to the wife, not the sharia where she gets only 1 years worth of them, multiple marriage does not look like a great idea. sharia law would be deadly to our "fair" system here.
sharia is the only way a guy would ever have more than one wife, and here we are thinking hard about even having that one.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-30-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It appears the dastardly Qaddafi made polygamy very difficult to be practiced since he ushered a law requiring the 1st wife to publicly proclaim her consent.

Now the new leader wants the law scrapped since it's not Sharia compliant. Needless to say many women in Libya are not keen on the idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/wo...ed=1&ref=world

from the freezer to the frying pan one creep exits another enters, the middle east what a great place to start..

Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Sometimes, just sometimes, the evil you know is not as bad as the evil you don't know.
Time will tell which way Libya goes.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sometimes, just sometimes, the evil you know is not as bad as the evil you don't know.
Time will tell which way Libya goes.
Exactly. It could turn into Iran or it could turn into Turkey (Or Tunisia). but it's too soon to tell and everyone's jumping at the gun to form their own conclusion. None of us have any idea which way this will go. But I hope that in the long run, Libya and the other arab governments will transition to healthy, secular, parliamentary democracies. The process is messy, as Western Europe showed in the 1800s, but it can happen if the right ingredients are in place and the people have the will to make that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies