Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

ever heard of Urban runoff

or urban decay (blight)

One man's blight is another man's affordable housing/neighborhood.

One more example of (upper) middle class people imposing their standards on the poor and the working class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You would prefer unaffordable mcmansions???

Where would YOU have poor and working class people live?

Someplace else. I always assumed that a bus picked them up at night and took them far away. In the movie "Westworld", the cleaning and maintenance crews did not come out until after the guests were asleep.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Yes, Long Island is expensive. Did you think poor people could afford houses on Long Island?

LILCO + LIE = OMG
its no longer LILCO...now its LIPA

again depends...the problem is the liberals pushed 'values' higher...and love the taxes from those higher 'values"

Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
One man's blight is another man's affordable housing/neighborhood.

One more example of (upper) middle class people imposing their standards on the poor and the working class.
oh so you are saying the workingclass WANT to be stuck is small apartments on top of others????

sorry this workingclass person want to be able to open my door and smell fresh air..not someone elses B.O.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Another check on the + side for women!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Of course, with ever growing population, we NEED to consolidate population in higher density developments... the problem is that the current solution - high rise apartment blocs - is less than optimum.

One possible solution is the dual ring village (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-index.php?page=Dual%20Ring%20Village - broken link), that combines a central park, two rings of mixed use structures, and a circular ring street between the rings. Such a design provides plenty of greenspace, optimized use of materials, and can be the ultimate fortified gated community.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
its no longer LILCO...now its LIPA

again depends...the problem is the liberals pushed 'values' higher...and love the taxes from those higher 'values"

I once had a commute that included a two-mile stretch of LIE.

Those were by far the longest two miles ever.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
oh so you are saying the workingclass WANT to be stuck is small apartments on top of others????

sorry this workingclass person want to be able to open my door and smell fresh air..not someone elses B.O.

When you're POOR and can't afford to buy a house, you take what you can afford. For me, it's affordability above all else, even when I all I can afford is a room in a house within shouting distance of a welfare class housing project.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We have had the opportunity to move out of our condo over the last twenty years. We are still in our town house because, even with a maintenance fee, it costs much less money as well as less time to maintain the outside of our home. In addition we are located in what amounts to a 60+ acre park with lawns, ponds and woods. We like it even though the books are driving us out of the house. We hate to throw away books.

I am well aware of the NIMBY problem. IMHO it is derived from the realization that the proposed project will benefit the few without compensating me for the any losses I may experience. These losses range from the loss of a scenic view through traffic congestion and include the loss of exclusivity if the development involves the less well off. People, particularly the middle to high level wage slaves, are very concerned with perceived status so they object to anything that might lower their level.

IN the case of power projects such as old or new technology there are professional NIMBYs hired by the fossil fuels industry to delay the competition as much as possible. They are very good at maintaining the coal industry’s near monopoly on generating electricity. The development of an alternate to airline transport over middling distances is also prevented by paid NIMBYs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies