Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times

Advertisements

Many of us feel the frustrations of today's economy and feel we are helpless to do anything to affect our conditions. You can do your part and refuse to buy foreign goods. Just but "Made in the USA !" only.

There might just be some thing you have to buy that are foreign made. Start looking and reading on packages etc and do your part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Many of us feel the frustrations of today's economy and feel we are helpless to do anything to affect our conditions. You can do your part and refuse to buy foreign goods. Just but "Made in the USA !" only.

There might just be some thing you have to buy that are foreign made. Start looking and reading on packages etc and do your part
Why just USA? I even go as far as trying to purchase products that are manufactured in my state. Why should I give your state more business when we need that business right here at home?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
While flying from London to Dallas yesterday, I looked at the label of Coca Cola can proudly displaying Made in GB and then the ingredients... "sugar". Now, if I had a choice between that and "high fructose corn syrup" with a Made in the USA label on the can, my pick would be the former.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Why just USA? I even go as far as trying to purchase products that are manufactured in my state. Why should I give your state more business when we need that business right here at home?
A very good point.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
I try I try I try!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
Quote:

There sure wouldn't be much to buy then I have worked all my life in retail and the "made in the usa " is very rare.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:

I started a thread a week or two back suggestng the same thing. It was a total waste of time and effort, a good number of the righties poopooed the idea and just went off on their usual rants.
I try to do this now whenever possible, maybe if enough people join in we can be part of the solution instead of like some here that are part of the problem.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
As I have pointed out many times: back when Sam Walton was alive, his stores only sold goods "Made in the USA". It was a point of pride to him. Walmart advertised on the Paul Harvey radio show, and I heard ol' Paul say that for years: shop at Walmart and buy Made in the USA!

Then, Sam died. His family did not feel such pride. At first they only allowed foreign-made televisions in the stores (after the last US manufacturer, Curtis Mathis, stopped making them). Of course, within a very, very few years Walmart opened its doors to the world. Many USA manufacturers could not compete with the cheap stuff being made overseas, and so many went out of business.

Such is life.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
If you cannot not Find a certain product that is Made in the USA but do Find One made in Canada could you buy that instead one from China.

I tended Go sears to buy Craftsman Hand tools that were Made in the USA. I have had some of them for 12 years never broke or bent but over time you lose a wrench or a few sockets from your socket set seem to get lost here or there... Now I just Buy or replace missing tools with Snap-On. Plus it does not hurt that the Snap-On store is 5 miuntes away either.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Duplicate thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-american.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies