Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
What is the difference between true religion and fake religion?
by their fruits shall ye know them.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The golden rule (or categorical imperative) was already being used before religion, soooo.......
Religion made it imperative and to be obeyed. Obeying is not a bad thing if it is obeying what is good.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
somehow the idea of a supreme being having his son taking the form of flesh , get killed hanging on a tree, and then magically flying into the sky after 3 days is seen as sane and normal? What am I missing here?
Well, I am neither christian, nor muslim, and I don't believe that jesus rose from the grave, flew round or anything, but I can say this.

The idea that a supreme being had a son that was a prophet is far more believable than the idea that the opposite sex is being used as chattel and a reward for doing what someone thinks is right, or for performing violence, or killing one's self.

Not only is a member of the opposite sex is being used as chattel, but that 72 is being offered up as property, and why should they be virgins, if you yourself is not a virgin?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
somehow the idea of a supreme being having his son taking the form of flesh , get killed hanging on a tree, and then magically flying into the sky after 3 days is seen as sane and normal? What am I missing here?

What you are missing is that the two beliefs are totally unrelated.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What you are missing is that the two beliefs are totally unrelated.
They aren't TOO unrelated, as the islamic faith see's jesus as a prophet.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
God or no God should not dictate how one lives.
I agree. Shouldn't we be good to each other just because we are fellow humans, all tossed in this ship together, (deep movie preview voice)in a world they didn't understand!

Doing it just to get a cookie at the end of dinner seems to be missing the point.

I agree wholeheartedly with things like the golden rule. Why we have to take the extra step and say we also believe in some mystical magical stories written by some people thousands of years ago, (or 60 years ago, in the case of scientology), I don't get that. Actually, I think I do get it. It's the only way a religion works. Most religions will tell you that you should spread your religion. They will tell you that anyone that doesn't believe will go to hell or something similar. It's marketing. Can't sell a religion without a dazzling story, I guess.

The only reason people continue to believe these stories is dogma, plain and simple. Most religious people would be too afraid to even contemplate other possibilities, because it has been drilled into their head since birth that this is the way it is and you'll go to hell if you don't believe.

Fear. And marketing. Two of religion's greatest powers.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Religion made it imperative and to be obeyed. Obeying is not a bad thing if it is obeying what is good.
It's funny to see how that worked out.......I guess religion taught us that's ok to slaughter people for not believing what they do, as well as misogyny, racism, and most recently, having sex with children.

So I guess the golden rule works best for sexual deviants and psychopaths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies