Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It may well depend on what denomination your Jewish neighbor is.
He also had a slice of pepperoni pizza. Apparently not a very observant one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The elite intelligentsia have been bombarding us with pc drivel that Merry Christmas is offensive and exclusionary and must be replaced with the Milquetoast generic "Happy Holidays." Yet, Halloween, like Christmas was once an exclusively religious holiday. So to all of my elite Neo Prog friends, lemme wish you a: Happy Holiday!
Oh, is halloween now religious?
Is it trying to force it's views on society.

Has no one ever said merry xmas to you?
Faux outrage rears its head again.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 AM

323 posts, read 321,607 times
Not FOX news if you can spell correctly, buts it's MSNBC!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 AM

306 posts, read 355,124 times
Default Sophia: "Mommy, please step away from the computer!"

Quote:
The elite intelligentsia have been bombarding us with pc drivel that Merry Christmas is offensive and exclusionary and must be replaced with the Milquetoast generic "Happy Holidays." Yet, Halloween, like Christmas was once an exclusively religious holiday. So to all of my elite Neo Prog friends, lemme wish you a: Happy Holiday!
I am so glad that someone finally recognizes the "Elite Intelligentsia".

That someone finally calls them what they are, and recognizes their superior intellect over the common, uninformed, poor white trash that falls for that Fox "News" crap about the alleged "War on Christmas".

You see, "Elite Intelligentsia" correctly describes people who are smarter than those poor people who get their delicate lacy panties in a big sticky unpleasant wad up their super-sized rear ends over this amusing "War on Christmas" nonsense.

God bless you for that acknowledgement!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Elite Intelligentsia is a new Neo-Prog rock band. They sound like a mix of late 70s Pink Floyd and King Crimson with a little bit of Dream Theater.
Damn, I could go with some Dream Theater right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I thought the "problem" with Halloween was a joke until I ran across an acquaintance in town today and talked about it. He asked if I celebrated Halloween. I replied that since I'm middle aged, I don't go trick or treating and I'm past the age of costume parties with friends. He then proceeded to tell me about how Jesus died for his sins and how Halloween was a celebration of satan (!).
He was being very nice about it so i said that to me, a plastic Halloween pumpkin has about as much to do with satan as a lighted nodding reindeer as t do with Jesus.

Anyway, the guy has problems wth Halloween of a religious nature. Cripes can't kids get dressed up in costumes and have a little fun outside at night in the dark without someone getting bent out of shape?
Have a similar story. This person knows I'm an atheist (she's a Super Christian), and she is (was?) hesitant to let her kids participate in some Halloween activities because Halloween is about scaring away Satan so he doesn't take people's souls, and not for fun and games. She let's them trick or treat, but the entire festivities aspect is pretty much kept to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That would make excellent satire if you weren't completely serious. The intelligent Conservatives on this forum must slap their collective foreheads every time you type.
The sound of a lone hand clapping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I said Merry Christmas to a woman in the store and she said Happy Holidays to me after the dirty look I got from the Rabbi who was standing there next to us waiting on line. Seems to it wasn't his business since I said it to her not him and what said was to me not him. Yet he looked pissed LOL I laugh at it now. Whats wrong with all of us just saying what ever we are/like? If your Jewish then say happy Hannukkah to the Christiand and the Christian say Merry Christmas to the Jewish one. Sheesh or for Petes sakes say what ever you think they are or celebrate. Damn so much political correctness over a Holiday that has been Celebrated for years. Sometimes I can understand why other Countries don't like diversity.
Holy ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's because Halloween celebrants do not try to destroy the rights of other human beings. christian orgs reap tax free status while buying up politicians, swinging elections and pushing their beliefs on everyone else. Nobody's ever accused pagans of doing such vile things.
I'm sure people have accused pagans of doing so, they probably never just got far with that accusation.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Because Xmas sucks. The phonies want to celebrate the birth of someone who never existed, because he justifies their wars, intolerance, and greed.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I thought the "problem" with Halloween was a joke until I ran across an acquaintance in town today and talked about it. He asked if I celebrated Halloween. I replied that since I'm middle aged, I don't go trick or treating and I'm past the age of costume parties with friends. He then proceeded to tell me about how Jesus died for his sins and how Halloween was a celebration of satan (!).
He was being very nice about it so i said that to me, a plastic Halloween pumpkin has about as much to do with satan as a lighted nodding reindeer as t do with Jesus.

Anyway, the guy has problems wth Halloween of a religious nature. Cripes can't kids get dressed up in costumes and have a little fun outside at night in the dark without someone getting bent out of shape?
That guy was a religious freak...religious freaks should just be ignored . And you're right about :

""I replied that since I'm middle aged, I don't go trick or treating and I'm past the age of costume parties with friends.""

Some posters in here have NOT matured and desperately NEED symbols of childish delights or they WHINE like two year olds.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Such an important stand in life !!! I am sure it affected thousands of people!!!

Did you get your little bag of candy???

Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Interesting - just went Trick or Treating with some of my friends last night. They are Jewish, of course.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Interesting - just went Trick or Treating with some of my friends last night. They are Jewish, of course.
What denomination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies