Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
APNewsBreak: Safeway drops sandwich theft charges - Yahoo! News

SafeWay dropped the charges and apologized...they knew they were in the wrong.
I wonder if this was her "Wake Up Call" to stop stealing from the stores reach-in merchandiser or will we see her again on the 6 o' clock news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If she was that hungry, and enough of a dumbass not to carry some extra snack food for herself and her child, why wouldn't she have paid for the sandwiches, had her meal, then done the shopping? Was it really necessary to go around the store and eat at the same time?

I think it's fine that she and her husband were charged. Not sure I agree w/taking her kid away, but whether she intended to or not, a crime was committed.
I think she uses the grocery store as her kitchen table...

I don't buy for one minute that she forgot to pay. It is a form of shoplifting.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I guess having a kid with you helps get out of shoplifting.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
the new era of zero tolerance has replaced common sense and allowing anyone with authority to think. has ruined a lot of lives especially school kids not used to the police state we now accept.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Like two sandwhiches are going to break Safeway's bank. You know how much food these grocery stores throw away? You probably eat Safeway meat. Becareful all the antibiotics and hormones are affecting your ability to think.
Ok, I'm sorry, but do you know WHY the stores throw away so much food?? Because of government regulations! If they tried to give away the food to homeless, they'd be fined and/or shut down for it. They've tried before. Believe me, the stores would much rather see the food go to good use rather than thrown away.

As for "two sandwhiches breaking safeway's bank"... it's not two sandwhiches... it's hundreds, if not 10's of thousands of sandwhiches and other food that is stolen all the time.

Honestly, this is a hard issue for me because I do feel very sorry for this family. That could easily be me, because I've done that before... not walk out of the store, but been munching on something or drinking something and save the wrapper or can to pay for at the check out line. But I"m always VERY careful NOT to walk away without paying for those things.

I'm also of the mind that if you do something wrong... even something that seems "minor" to you, you do have to take responsibilty for your actions. The child was returned after 18 hours, and from what I've read, CPS isn't planning on making return trips to their house because of this. So really, all that happened was that CPS babysat the child while the parents went to jail and gathered their $50 bail.

I do think the whole thing was overkill... but at the same time a company does have to deal with this kind of stuff all the time. It should be handled case by case, but sometimes you can't do that. Sometimes you have to follow your rules strictly for a reason.

I just think this was a very unfortunate circumstance for everyone concerned.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think she uses the grocery store as her kitchen table...

I don't buy for one minute that she forgot to pay. It is a form of shoplifting.
I don't either. There were 2 sandwiches and it sounds like her boyfriend had the other. How do you forget?

There were some other things that stood out to me that just might make me lose my liberal card. They moved from 1 expensive place (California) to another (Hawaii) while the mother/child gets WIC and is pregnant again. How can they afford this and why move somewhere more expensive? Perhaps a lawsuit against a major supermarket for being mean to a pregnant lady? I wonder if she has filed any other lawsuits?

There is MUCH more to this story and while I understand that Safeway didn't want the bad publicity they have opened the door to other 'forgetful' folks. Why Safeway was made to be the bad guy I don't know. They followed protocol and called the PD for a shoplifter. How the PD responds is up to their policy. When both parents are arrested and there is no other family around of course the child goes into protective custody. Perhaps they shouldn't go shopping together if they are going to eat and forget to pay.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Let's say just for a moment that the couple (hubby is a former Air Force staff sargent) really had not intention of paying for the sandiches ok? As in, they were walking around the store openly eating them, hung onto the wrapper with the price code but deliberately did not pay for the sandwiches.

Is this crime worth having a toddler taken into the "protection" of child protective services? If so I would like to submit a list of parents that do far worse things than steal a sandwich so that their kids can also be taken away from their parents.

Sheesh!
The child was not taken from the family because they were shoplifters, but because they were arrested. The toddler was given back to them after only 18 hours... which is pretty quick when you know how CPS works. Normally I hate anything having to do with CPS, but in this situation they were not the bad guys.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I don't either. There were 2 sandwiches and it sounds like her boyfriend had the other. How do you forget?

There were some other things that stood out to me that just might make me lose my liberal card. They moved from 1 expensive place (California) to another (Hawaii) while the mother/child gets WIC and is pregnant again. How can they afford this and why move somewhere more expensive? Perhaps a lawsuit against a major supermarket for being mean to a pregnant lady? I wonder if she has filed any other lawsuits?

There is MUCH more to this story and while I understand that Safeway didn't want the bad publicity they have opened the door to other 'forgetful' folks. Why Safeway was made to be the bad guy I don't know. They followed protocol and called the PD for a shoplifter. How the PD responds is up to their policy. When both parents are arrested and there is no other family around of course the child goes into protective custody. Perhaps they shouldn't go shopping together if they are going to eat and forget to pay.
I think her and her husband "food cruise" the aisles. I feel sorry for the kids because they see mommy and daddy stealing food from a supermarket that they did not pay for...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
The sandwiches at the Honolulu safeway are in plastic containers with the clear top. I;m sure we have all seen them at different supermarkets. Where would a person have to place that container as not to remember to check it out? If you go to various Honolulu supermarkets that sell these types of products (along with the higher price per every item), you will find empty sandwich, soda, salads, and other packaging stuck in places they don't belong. A empty sald container stuck in between the cracker boxes, a soda can in between the air fresheners, even empty baby food jars stuck betwen the hair color and root touchups. Safeway on Hawaii has a strick policy but that policy applies when there is sufficient evidence to indicate the person intended to leave without paying for goods.

You walk out with a box of pampers under your cart you forgot to pay for, they don;t press charges. You eat something and for whatever reason you didn;t pay but it was clear you kept the packaging to check out, they don;t press charges. Even the C/C Honolulu Police seldom arrest on petty shoplifting for forgetting to pay unless they have a reason to belive the person tried to conceal what they did.

If this was two apples and the pits happened to get stuck to the side of the bread and was overlooked, that's one thing, but please explain where two plastic triangle containers dissapeared to during checkout so that two adults who know they ate them didn;t realize they were missing.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think her and her husband "food cruise" the aisles. I feel sorry for the kids because they see mommy and daddy stealing food from a supermarket that they did not pay for...
I feel sorry for the honest shoppers because so many stores simply allow this practice and just pass on the costs to the paying customers.

You also see these same kinds of people using a store with a toy section like a free day care, their kids enjoy opening the boxes, playing with and destroying the toys without paying for them. No problem the stores make up for these people by upping the prices.

I do not believe for one minute these two adults "forgot" they ate those sandwiches. Even if you were crass enough to feast your way through a store, you could try extra hard to remember to pay if you intended to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies