Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

that would stimulate government growth not private industry, unless we raised tariffs so high they could not penatrate and therefore allowed dometic industry to come back.
i think that china would lobby to drop that plan, just guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Read that page.

Guess what? Our exports are practically non-existent today. Retaliatory tariffs aren't even remotely a concern, because at this point we don't make enough to keep ourselves in goods, much less have enough to export.

When it comes to the economy, there is no black and white. Sure, during the industrial age when we actually had trade partners, this wouldn't make sense.

Now? What are they going to do? Send our jobs back due to lower import demand? Boo-friggen-hoo.

Smoot and Hawley were about 80 years too early with this, but make no mistake, we do need this right now. Maybe not forever, but at least until we have something to trade again, besides management services.
I completely agree. If you are running a trade surplus then high tariffs could really hurt you, but when you are barely exporting anything and can produce everything that you need to import then you can weather any type of trade war.

The U.S. is in a very good situation. We can be completely self sufficient if we chose to be. China can not.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I posted in post number 5 how we could do this with China without breaking any agreements, actually we would be well within our rights. I am just amazed that someone had the forethought to put it in the agreement.
You did not specify China in your original post. You said foreign. Foreign means any country that is not us.

If this is of such importance to you, I would think you would stay focused.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
I completely agree. If you are running a trade surplus then high tariffs could really hurt you, but when you are barely exporting anything and can produce everything that you need to import then you can weather any type of trade war.

The U.S. is in a very good situation. We can be completely self sufficient if we chose to be. China can not.
Our only problem is what to do when China's economy crumbles (because our consumption built it), and they declare war.

Well, between chasing practically defenseless Arabs (compared to our military) around the desert for Exxon and fighting to get our manufacturing jobs back, I'll take the latter.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You did not specify China in your original post. You said foreign. Foreign means any country that is not us.

I don't like to limit myself to one country. Certainly you would have to look at trade with every country independently. It may be that some countries we have a trade surplus, why would you want to put tariffs on their products. Some agreements would be hard to rescend. I pointed out China as one of the easiest to take care of under existing agreements.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:

China is the number one problem, but the overall problem is worldwide. China has our manufacturing jobs, and India has our service jobs. The rest take the scraps and sub-contracts.

We need to get it all back. Because the "global economy" has turned into "global welfare", and we're the ones writing the checks..................... on credit no less.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Our only problem is what to do when China's economy crumbles (because our consumption built it), and they declare war.

Well, between chasing practically defenseless Arabs (compared to our military) around the desert for Exxon and fighting to get our manufacturing jobs back, I'll take the latter.
The alternative is our economy continues to crumble. People focus on the deficit, but maybe we need to change our focus to the trade deficit, because that is the only thing that is going to really produce any jobs.

Besides all we are doing now is giving China money to build their military. Might as well cut them off now while we can still beat them.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I don't like to limit myself to one country. Certainly you would have to look at trade with every country independently. It may be that some countries we have a trade surplus, why would you want to put tariffs on their products. Some agreements would be hard to rescend. I pointed out China as one of the easiest to take care of under existing agreements.
So first its everyone. Then its China. Now its back to everyone again.

I doubt there is a one size fits all unless you really want one helluva trade war.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So first its everyone. Then its China. Now its back to everyone again.

I doubt there is a one size fits all unless you really want one helluva trade war.
What war? What exactly are we trading that is going to hurt us so bad?

Nothing from where I'm standing.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
China is the number one problem, but the overall problem is worldwide. China has our manufacturing jobs, and India has our service jobs. The rest take the scraps and sub-contracts.

We need to get it all back. Because the "global economy" has turned into "global welfare", and we're the ones writing the checks..................... on credit no less.
There is something to that.

However, I am old enough to remember factories closing down and moving abroad when China was still full of drones in Mao suits riding bikes everywhere.

That is why I lose sympathy for this. Guys like you act like this is some recent occurrence. No. It has been happening for quite some time and not just here. Go to Europe. Plenty of abandoned factories there as well.

I honestly do not know what we can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies