Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,412,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If you whine, cry, give a good sob story, just about any doctor will sign his name for a 'handicap' parking space permit for ANY ailment that you complain about.
What kinds of doctors do you have? What is this statement based on? Is it because you've done this? I have multiple disabilities and none of my doctors were casual about signing any sort of papers for accommodations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
I simply don’t understand why anyone complains about someone else who has a handicap or disability. The OP complaining about fat people at a store should be thankful that he himself doesn’t have that issue and move on.

I complained about my knee hurting (arthritis) the other day and then say a man who was a paraplegic in a wheelchair; I stopped feeling sorry for myself! OP needs to acquire a little empathy!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I simply don’t understand why anyone complains about someone else who has a handicap or disability. The OP complaining about fat people at a store should be thankful that he himself doesn’t have that issue and move on.

I complained about my knee hurting (arthritis) the other day and then say a man who was a paraplegic in a wheelchair; I stopped feeling sorry for myself! OP needs to acquire a little empathy!

Seems like some able-bodied people think being disabled is just so awesome. Makes me wonder if they'd like to be disabled too--especially when contrary to popular belief, being disabled involves fighting for your needs 90% of the time. The whole idea that all disabled people get all their needs met with complete ease is a total myth. We're always fighting for accommodations because accommodations cost money and people don't like to spend money.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 PM

37,038 posts, read 41,961,954 times
I know someone with a disability card and you would never know by looking at her. I had a temporary once and so did my dad, they are not easy to get. I think the issue is that what is considered a "medical disability" isn't what some people have in mind for a card that grants close in parking access. They want people in wheelchairs and walkers, conditions that make it cumbersome to get around. I think there is a grey area that can't be totally managed. Nothing can be managed to 100% correctness and efficiency so just accept it. Unless you can't get a handicapped spot when you need one there is nothing going on for you to even think about.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,183,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
Placards and license plates on:

low lying sports cars - corvettes, vipers, porsche, etc
lifted trucks, jeeps and other off-road vehicles

If you can get in one of these, shouldn't there be a restriction on issuing a handicap placard or plate?

I mean...driving is a privilege, not a right.

i love it when a hoss climbs out of a sports car, rolls into a store and hops on a motorized cart....how about those with real injuries, disabilities or the elderly?
You know every disability that everyone has?
You're a doctor?
Can I determine what vehicle you get to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If you whine, cry, give a good sob story, just about any doctor will sign his name for a 'handicap' parking space permit for ANY ailment that you complain about.
Oh really? I was in a cast for almost 6 months and found it almost impossible to get a temp parking card.

What kind of doctors do you have?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 PM

37,038 posts, read 41,961,954 times
OP, did you start this thread under a differnt name awhile back? I'd swear it was almost word for word (or vehicle for vehicle).

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
OP, did you start this thread under a differnt name awhile back? I'd swear it was almost word for word (or vehicle for vehicle).
Probably. This is the third or fourth hate-on-the-disabled CD thread I've come across. I guess hating on the poor got old.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,625,497 times
there are many types of disabilities, some of which you wouldnt know a person had unless you checked their medical records. for instance my mother suffered from a small stroke earlier this year, and she qualified for a disabled parking permit. she doesnt use it as far as i know, but she has it for those times where she feels the need to use it.

i dont know if i qualify for a disabled parking permit, but then i dont want to apply for one either. but i suffer from hypertension, diabetes, advanced kidney disease, and anemia. i have a very difficult time walking more than a block without substantial back and hip pain, and severe fatigue. at one time only a few years ago i could walk from one end of a shopping mall to the other with no issues.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,165,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Handicap spots aren't about being PC. They're about the logistics of getting from Point A to Point B with a disability.

Maybe people should research a little before they start the next hate-on-the-disabled CD thread.
This is kind of a sad thread. I applied for disability over a year ago, and I just recently got a notice saying my next step will be the hearing stage; about a year from now. I have a bone spur on my neck, collapsed discs, and cervical stenosis, among other problems, and no medical insurance. I can walk okay, for now, but not very far. Every time I take a step, it jars my neck, so I only walk short distances. I can also climb in and out of my husband's semi, but I can't do much else. Light laundry, maybe. I'm sure most people look at me and think I look great, but I'm in constant pain. And, I don't have a lot of money, so I shop at Wally World. My husband tells me to get in a cart, but I'm too sad and I don't want to give up walking, so I just try to take it slow if I go in. I didn't know people felt so angry about people shopping at Walmart in wheelchairs.

I would much rather have an awesome spine and lots of money.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This is kind of a sad thread. I applied for disability over a year ago, and I just recently got a notice saying my next step will be the hearing stage; about a year from now. I have a bone spur on my neck, collapsed discs, and cervical stenosis, among other problems, and no medical insurance. I can walk okay, for now, but not very far. Every time I take a step, it jars my neck, so I only walk short distances. I can also climb in and out of my husband's semi, but I can't do much else. Light laundry, maybe. I'm sure most people look at me and think I look great, but I'm in constant pain. And, I don't have a lot of money, so I shop at Wally World. My husband tells me to get in a cart, but I'm too sad and I don't want to give up walking, so I just try to take it slow if I go in. I didn't know people felt so angry about people shopping at Walmart in wheelchairs.

I would much rather have an awesome spine and lots of money.
I know what you mean. The people on these threads who judge us have no idea what it's like. It took me 1.5 years to get social security with 5 disabilities. I don't know where people get the idea that it's easy to get accommodations or money from the government. And then they look at us all jealous because we have a real reason to need accommodations. Able-bodied people don't get it. It's not like we're getting these accommodations but have the same abilities as them. That's why it's called being disabled. The accommodations are there to try to minimize the disability, but the disability is still there. I don't understand what they're jealous of--because the thing they're "jealous" of isn't even real--getting a "free ride". Having a shorter distance of travel isn't a "free ride" when you have debilitating condition. They seem to forget that whole part of the picture--you know, the fact that "disabled" means actually living with a condition that limits one's ability to participate in many major life activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies