Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,809,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
You are so right. Right wing conservatism and Christianity are totally incompatible system of beliefs. To be Republican and Christian is akin to been a prostitute and celibate at the same time.
They are totally compatible. For example Christianity and conservatives both believe in the traditional family. Democrats believe it's OK for a woman to have out of wedlock children and then go on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, when a qualifier is needed, then you should say it, shouldn't you? America is unique among Christian based countries where political views are so strongly correlated with religion. In Canada, Britain and Australia, you can be a solid bible believing Christian yet hold right or left wing views. If you're a left leaning Christian in America, people will treat you almost like a heretic. Your faith in Christ will be questioned and you'll be considered a black sheep among Jesus' flock.

Very odd and unfortunate.
Among first world Christian based countries yes absolutely. On the other hand among many African and Latin American Christian countries religion and politics are very correlated.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,563,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
They are totally compatible. For example Christianity and conservatives both believe in the traditional family. Democrats believe it's OK for a woman to have out of wedlock children and then go on welfare.
The last time I check Christianity didn't advocate racism and xenophobia or purport that rich people are better than poor people. Most Republicans are racist and have xenophobic tendencies. Most of them also believe that a rich man's life is more valuable than the life of a poor man. This way of thinking can only be described as anti-Christian if not Satanic.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,809,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The last time I check Christianity didn't advocate racism and xenophobia or purport that rich people are better than poor people. Most Republicans are racist and have xenophobic tendencies. Most of them also believe that a rich man's life is more valuable than the life of a poor man. This way of thinking can only be described as anti-Christian if not Satanic.
All of those things you are saying about Republicans simply aren't true. I'm sure I can't change your mind but please be open to the idea that you drank the Kool-Aid on these stereotypes.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
All of those things you are saying about Republicans simply aren't true. I'm sure I can't change your mind but please be open to the idea that you drank the Kool-Aid on these stereotypes.
I didn't have to drink any kool-aid. It's there for all to see.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,468,053 times
Quote:
No, they aren't compatible. The idea that a rich person is more valuable to society than a poor person is just one example among many. I'm pro-life myself, but even republicans don't support that. They just want to get votes for it. I won't go so far to say that you can't be a Christian and a conservative, but to me, I cannot reconcile American far right conservatism with the gospel. I simply cannot do it.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No, they aren't compatible. The idea that a rich person is more valuable to society than a poor person is just one example among many. I'm pro-life myself, but even republicans don't support that. They just want to get votes for it. I won't go so far to say that you can't be a Christian and a conservative, but to me, I cannot reconcile American far right conservatism with the gospel. I simply cannot do it.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,273,128 times
Quote:
I know, no surprise here, right? I always find this interesting because, aside from the abortion issue, I see almost nothing remotely Christian about the GOP. And even then, they simply use abortion to get votes. I'm not saying democrats are better, but many of their stances, when matched with the new testament, leave me scratching my head at Christian voting patterns.

It's also fascinating that the U.S. is the only place where religiousity and politics are so strongly correlated despite the fact that Jesus himself was pretty ambivalent about the government. Read and discuss if you wish

More Than 6 in 10 Very Religious Whites Identify With GOP

mackinac
6/10 means it is pretty even between republicans and democrats

now 95% of Blacks voting for Obama shows a bias.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,982,076 times
Quote:
I know, no surprise here, right? I always find this interesting because, aside from the abortion issue, I see almost nothing remotely Christian about the GOP. And even then, they simply use abortion to get votes.
It's really no different than Democrats using gay marriage and illegal immigrations to get votes, and yet Democrats are almost always the biggest bigots on the ballot. Go figure.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
I know, no surprise here, right?
It is surprising to me that the number is only 6 out of 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies