Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Our claim to fame is living way beyond our means for the last three decades…
SoCal... I resent your remarks. I'm an authentic boomer and I do NOT live beyond my means. If you choose to post your degrading remarks, please, refer them to yourself.

You do NOT have the right to include me as one of the guilty in your rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
SoCal... I resent your remarks. I'm an authentic boomer and I do NOT live beyond my means. If you choose to post your degrading remarks, please, refer them to yourself.

My mother slaved away as a home health nurse her entire life, lives in a modest house house built in the 1920s and the only debt she has is her new car payment. She raised three boys and my family has never sucked a dime off the government or received any type of welfare. Paid our taxes. So like you she isn't part of the selfish, greedy, baby boomer generation per se. But she voted for Obama. And she is planning on voting for Romney after I TIRELESSLLY try to convince her why Ron Paul is the only hope for this country. You are the minority of your generation but unfortunately your other 2/3rds have ruined your reputation. So my rant still stands. Even just voting the same failed politicians into office for the last 30 years makes you guilty. Who did you vote for? Every vote third party?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
My mother slaved away as a home health nurse her entire life, lives in a modest house house built in the 1920s and the only debt she has is her new car payment. She raised three boys and my family has never sucked a dime off the government or received any type of welfare. Paid our taxes. So like you she isn't part of the selfish, greedy, baby boomer generation per se. But she voted for Obama. And she is planning on voting for Romney after I TIRELESSLLY try to convince her why Ron Paul is the only hope for this country. You are the minority of your generation but unfortunately your other 2/3rds have ruined your reputation. So my rant still stands. Even just voting the same failed politicians into office for the last 30 years makes you guilty. Who did you vote for? Every vote third party?
So everyone else buy your mom is scum.
Yeah, we get it.
She's the only one who made it without government assistance, working TIRELESSLY to raise her family.
Yep, she's the only one in the entire country.
You should be proud of her.

Your anecdote is better than someone else's anecdote. We get it.

And who I vote for, it's none of your business.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
And gave us the worker bee drone mentality that if we dont sacrifice our health, our families and our sanity for the corporation and a 60 hour work week we are nothing.
You know, as one of the oldest Boomers (born before 1950), we were the ones accusing OUR parents of a "depression mentality" which meant THEY were doing the above. WE were going to be different. We were going to put our families and our avocations first. Didn't work out that way, did it. This is all just parental rebellion stuff.

Quote:

Ditto.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
from reading some of these posts it seems you all think every boomer is a ceo or power banker that preys on thier own children. Sorry to wake you up from your dream but the majority are tradespeople,garbagemen,teachers,mom&pop shop owners,etc. my children certainly dont feel the hate you own toward me. sorry about your empty youth,deal with it yourself.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:

Another ditto. By all means, let's discount all the Boomers who don't fit your sweeping generalizations and who actually contributed to society in meaningful and non-consumerist ways.

Like me. Born in 1947 to Greatest Generation parents who tirelessly tried to keep up with the Joneses as they had been taught, and who could never understand why I rejected their values.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
from reading some of these posts it seems you all think every boomer is a ceo or power banker that preys on thier own children. Sorry to wake you up from your dream but the majority are tradespeople,garbagemen,teachers,mom&pop shop owners,etc. my children certainly dont feel the hate you own toward me. sorry about your empty youth,deal with it yourself.
Yeah..the OP thinks all the boomers make up that 1% of the evil greedy rich.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So everyone else buy your mom is scum.
Yeah, we get it.
She's the only one who made it without government assistance, working TIRELESSLY to raise her family.
Yep, she's the only one in the entire country.
You should be proud of her.

Your anecdote is better than someone else's anecdote. We get it.

And who I vote for, it's none of your business.
Ha your missing my point. I blame my mom as well since it was her generation. What did she do to try and change things? Did you vote party lines or try to vote for what she believed in? I'm not claiming my om is so innocent. My point was yes there is a huge economic divide among baby boomers themselves. That doesn't mean anything. They are still one of the most endowed, selfish, greedy generations OVERALL to have ever lived in America. Do you understand the concept on average and the word OVERALL?

You must be feeling a little guilty eh? LOL.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Suck it!

Blame the Baby Boomers: Shallow, Greedy and Corrupt
The Baby Boom Generation will never be mistaken for the Greatest Generation that survived the Great Depression and defeated evil in a World War that killed 72 million people. I hate to tell you Boomers, but putting a yellow ribbon on the back of your $50,000 SUV is not sacrifice.
Our claim to fame is living way beyond our means for the last three decades… Baby Boomers have been occupying the White House for the last sixteen years. The majority of Congress is Baby Boomers. The CEOs and top executives of Wall Street firms are Baby Boomers. The media is dominated by Baby Boom executives and on-air stars. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the current predicament. Blaming Franklin Roosevelt or Lyndon Johnson for our dire situation is a cop out. Baby Boomers had the time, power, and ability to change our course. We have chosen to leave the heavy lifting to future generations in order to live the good life today.
Of course, not all Baby Boomers are shallow, greedy, and corrupt. Mostly Boomers with power and wealth fall into this category. There were 76 million Baby Boomers born between 1946 and 1963. They now make up 28% of the U.S. population. Their impact on America is undeniable. The defining events of their generation have been the Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, Kent State, Woodstock, the 1st man on the moon, and now the collapse of our Ponzi scheme financial system. They rebelled against their parents, protested the Vietnam War, and settled down in 2,300 square foot cookie cutter McMansions with perfectly manicured lawns, in mall infested suburbia. They have raised overscheduled spoiled children, moved up the corporate ladder by pushing paper rather than making things, lived above their means in order to keep up with their neighbors, bought whatever they wanted using debt, and never worried about the future. Over optimism, unrealistic assumptions, selfishness and conspicuous consumption have been their defining characteristics.

Early in the 1st Reagan administration, Americans saved 12% of their income and household debt as a percentage of GDP was 63%. In 1980, the oldest Baby Boomers turned 34. They entered their prime earnings and spending years. This is when something went haywire with our great country. Deficit spending became fashionable for government, corporations and individuals. Dick “deficits don’t matter” Cheney was probably in his glory as the country ran up deficits of money, morals, and brains. The Boomers and our government chose to try and borrow and spend their way to prosperity. As we now know, Mr. Cheney’s advice about deficits not mattering was about as good as his belief that you can fire a shotgun in any direction without implications. The Boomer generation has freely made choices over the last quarter century that has brought us to the brink of a second Great Depression.

What the data proves is that Boomers love to shop and eat, whether they have the money or not. The top 100 retailers in the U.S. have 250,000 stores that generated $1.7 trillion of sales last year. How could America function without 31,000 McDonalds, 35,000 KFCs, Taco Bells, & Pizza Huts, 15,000 Starbucks, 7,000 Wal-Marts, 2,000 Home Depots, 4,000 K-Marts/Sears, and 8,000 Blockbusters? There are 91,000 shopping centers in the United States. The Advertising industry spends $275 billion per year to convince you to spend money you don’t have for things you don’t need. This generation lacks self control, morals, a work ethic, and savings ethic. Based on the recent actions of our government and corporate leaders, we seem to lack any ethics at all. It is immoral for the Boomer generation to run up $53 trillion in unfunded future liabilities in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid to leave as our gift to future generations, while we live it up today. Optimists like to point out that Europe and Japan have much worse unfunded liability problems than the U.S. That is like taking pride in being the best looking horse at the glue factory. In the end, we’ll all still be glue.
The 25 year Boomer borrowing and spending binge is coming to an end. The hangover will be really bad. The Federal Reserve and Treasury are trying to keep the frat party going, but everyone is passed out on the floor.

(excerpts)
The Shallowest Generation - Seeking Alpha
Share this:
Wow my eyeballs and brain stem are hurtin trying to wade thru this regurgitation.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
I'd love to know WHY the "Era of the Robber Baron CEOs" came to be--and what we can do to tear it down. It's puzzled me for a very long time. Other nations don't pay their CEOs 500 times the average workers' salary, and America didn't either before the 1980s.

Could it be that the sheer numbers of the Baby Boom produced a "critical mass" of pathological narcissists? Combined with our sick predisposition to reward such psychos with power and wealth, did they suddenly find themselves grouped together in corporate board rooms, and start talking about how cool it would be to dismantle America's working class, send the jobs oversees, and steal all the income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies