Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,406,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Not without cause. Do you think it is reasonable for police to hold someone for 36 hours for walking through a park after dark?
The cause was failure to identify and mouthing off. Next time a cop asks who you are, do yourself a favor and tell them it is none of their business and to go eff themselves and see where that gets you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,478,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I wasn't commenting on this story per se. Several people have said in this thread that the law requires that you carry (presumably government issued) ID at all times. I was just pointing out that's false. Not only do you not ever have to carry ID - you don't even have to have an ID.

As to the story, it's ridiculous to have kept her for 36 hours using shift changes and such as excuses. Just take her straight from the park to the hotel to get her ID, issue a ticket, then let her go. That's what, a total of 30 minutes in custody? - plus it doesn't use up police resources: gas for driving her around, I assume they fed her 3 or 4 times during those 36 hours, they had to wash the linens she used, etc.

Also, I find the law she violated stupid. It's one I actually I break somewhat regularly. I'm a runner and often up late nights. When it's hot out in the summer, I sometimes like to take my run between 11pm-1am. I don't like to run on concrete or asphalt (it destroys your legs), so I do it in the park. I've never understood why it's illegal for me to do that.
Well -- I think it had more to do with her being in a park after hours. I know around here many people don't want parks put in their neighborhoods because they can attract vagrants and gang types. People don't want parks around unless something is done about those who would take them over - especially at night.

I don't especially like it that way, I myself might want to camp out -- with a tent and bonfire in a park and I'm not allowed to do so. My own kid got picked up because he was in a park at 11:05pm when the park closed at 11:00pm but he had ID and was underaged so I had to go pick him up. The reason is that the people living near the park want the police to keep people out of it at night.

If this woman was mugged or raped by some other park inhabitant at 3 am, she'd herself demand better policing of that park.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,115,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It wasn't 3 days. It was a 1 1/2 days. There are 24 hours in a day, not 12. The police have the right to detain you for up to 48 hours without being charged with anything. Learn the laws. And they DO have a reason to detain you if you fail to identify yourself or have been misbehaving.
Don't you find it a waste of resources paid for by you and I for police to hold a bratty college student for 36 hours on nothing more than walking through a park after dark and maybe being lippy? Come on, our law enforcement needs to be held to a higher standard and petty acts like this give good police forces and good cops a bad name.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,115,859 times
Quote:
The cause was failure to identify and mouthing off. Next time a cop asks who you are, do yourself a favor and tell them it is none of their business and to go eff themselves and see where that gets you.
So jailing a citizen for 36 hours for being disrespectful (if she was) is reasonable? If cops did this every time someone gave them lip they'd get nothing done.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,096,616 times
Quote:
Neither were you, but police just don't detain people for NO reason.

Well, had to get in on this one! police dust don't detain for NO reason? You didn't really say that out loud did you?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes they do. It happens all the time.

The problem is there is no accountability for government officials unless they commit a crime. DAs and Cops abuse their power quite often and never suffer retribution.

Keeping somebody in jail for 3 days because they didn't have an ID should result in somebody in LE getting fired or suspended.

Not to mention a nice juicy lawsuit!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It wasn't 3 days. It was a 1 1/2 days. There are 24 hours in a day, not 12. The police have the right to detain you for up to 48 hours without being charged with anything. Learn the laws. And they DO have a reason to detain you if you fail to identify yourself or have been misbehaving.

In what state? As this is a states rights issue we're speaking of. Not federal. In what state allows someone to be taken off the streets simply for not having an ID? I almost never have an ID with me, as my husband often drives, do I now have to worry that someone will haul me to jail because I don't have ID....even if I was "misbehaving". If I were doing something criminal....then yes even if I DID have ID....but for "misbehaving" whaaat? Does that really sound logical to you....and if its happening in YOUR state, you had best be writing your congresspeople, your representative, your mayor and your governor and get that stopped

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,122,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
they were in the park illegally .
A pertinent fact. Now charge her with trespassing or illegal entry.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
In what state? As this is a states rights issue we're speaking of. Not federal. In what state allows someone to be taken off the streets simply for not having an ID? I almost never have an ID with me, as my husband often drives, do I now have to worry that someone will haul me to jail because I don't have ID....even if I was "misbehaving". If I were doing something criminal....then yes even if I DID have ID....but for "misbehaving" whaaat? Does that really sound logical to you....and if its happening in YOUR state, you had best be writing your congresspeople, your representative, your mayor and your governor and get that stopped
You guys arguing this are not very smart. They don't detain you for not having ID, they detain you for not TELLING the police WHO YOU ARE! I will bet any amount of money she refused to tell them who she was because she thought she was a special kind of loud mouthed brat.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Well, had to get in on this one! police dust don't detain for NO reason? You didn't really say that out loud did you?
No they don't. If they want to detain you, they will find a reason that you can't fight. Deal with it and obey the damn laws. Besides, it's lawful to detain someone for up to 48 hours without being charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies