Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times

Advertisements

that is a fair question. do i see many doctors crossing san ysidro? i dont think so. social strata of mexico is spaniard on top-- indian on bottom. so of course it is the poor that cross.
problem its not the poor farmer crossing any more to seek a better life, its the poor gangbanger crossing to seek a better life starting with your car, wallet and 12 year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,299,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I consider many of them as my friends and neighbors. Growing up on the border, it was never really an issue.. The subject has come up among my friends and they consider themselves as brown. One put it this way. "When god was making man, he put the first one in the oven and it came out black and god said.. Dang too dark, then he put the second one in the oven and it came out white and god said.. Dang too light.... THen he put the third one in the oven and it came out brown and he said.. Just right...
That's kind of racist. Just saying.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
That's kind of racist. Just saying.
I will make sure to tell my Mexican friends that said these things to me that you said they are racist.... I am sure they will see the error of their way...

Old 11-05-2011, 02:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
I will make sure to tell my Mexican friends that said these things to me that you said they are racist.... I am sure they will see the error of their way...
It's just a joke I'm sure but it is a racist joke and it implies they believe their race is superior to that of others.

It's sort of like the sexist joke that women laughed at -- that first God created man and looked at him and said to himself "I can do better" and then created woman.

If your friends from Mexico will laugh at jokes whites and blacks make that don't have them as superior then it's one thing, but if they are overly sensitive and would find the reverse kind of joke offensive then it's another.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:02 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's just a joke I'm sure but it is a racist joke and it implies they believe their race is superior to that of others.

It's sort of like the sexist joke that women laughed at -- that first God created man and looked at him and said to himself "I can do better" and then created woman.

If your friends from Mexico will laugh at jokes whites and blacks make that don't have them as superior then it's one thing, but if they are overly sensitive and would find the reverse kind of joke offensive then it's another.
I understand what your saying but, they are the first to tell me jokes about Mexicans too... It's all in good humor and nobody takes offfense. People are too politically correct today and need to step back, look at themselves and chuckle a bit. As a society we are losing our collective minds.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
I understand what your saying but, they are the first to tell me jokes about Mexicans too... It's all in good humor and nobody takes offfense. People are too politically correct today and need to step back, look at themselves and chuckle a bit. As a society we are losing our collective minds.
Then it's fine - I think ethnic humor and race jokes are actually good, healthy. Get people to laugh off the differences. As long as they can laugh when it's a black guy or a white guy making a similar joke but for a different race.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,126,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What is it with the obsession of certain CD posters to focus on skin color and race? Really, why all the race-baiting on this forum?
I was among them yesterday and will have to say that those mostly Mexican in Dodge City, Ks. are much darker than the people who have been living there all these years. I am always surprised when I hear those who come from the Mexican people who come from those who came with the cattle drives in the late1800s. They speak unblemished English and the next family you see like them speaks Spanish with maybe one English speaker in the family to act as the interpreter. Black hair, a specific kind of makeup the women wear, and their brown skins make me think of them as brown. If that is racist thinking I am proud to be like that.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,680,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is a fair question. do i see many doctors crossing san ysidro? i dont think so. social strata of mexico is spaniard on top-- indian on bottom. so of course it is the poor that cross.
problem its not the poor farmer crossing any more to seek a better life, its the poor gangbanger crossing to seek a better life starting with your car, wallet and 12 year old daughter.

no!!! they wouldn't do that, would they??

Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,126,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I have seen some very interesting discussions on other message boards about the definition of white people. They say America is going to be a white minority county in a few years because of the huge Hispanic (Latino) population that seems to grow every day. (Mostly from Mexico)

Though many people say that people from Mexico are white and as a result our country is still 70% white.

What do you think, should be just call pretty much everyone from Latin America white and be done with the argument? Or should we say that people from Latin America are mostly Indian (with a link to Asia), and brown skinned and a different race and culture than the standard 6th Generation White person with Northern European ancestry who lives in a place like Minnesota?

How do you see it?
I was among "them" yesterday in Dodge City, Ks. one of the larger meat packing centers of the mid west and I certainly didn't see many light skinned people talking Spanish although almost of the black haired, brown skinned people were speaking it.

The latest group of that kind of people are Somalians whose women wear all the clothes of the mother country, scarf and all and few speak any English at all. I did help four young men from that group buy a space heater and had little help from them since only one of them had any English. However, he spoke it pretty well. It is strange to see those black people with the women dressed in their normal dress and the men dressed like Americans. The four I helped yesterday were some of the newer ones in that they weren't married and were living together.

The thing about most of the Mexicans in this part of the world is that most of them come from the same states of Mexico and are very heavily darker skinned than many of those we saw here 25 years ago.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,373,662 times
Wow. Axe to grind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies