Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,007 times

Advertisements

Now this is a step in the right direction....
Per the article the U.S. based jobs are coming back and US Airways is leaving a call center in place for international customers in Liverpool, England. Totally appropiate and, dare I say, how it should have been done in the first place.
Maybe other U.S. based companies can find a way to follow suit.

US Airways moves call center work back to US - BusinessWeek

US Airways Group Inc. said on Tuesday that it has moved call center work that had been done overseas back to the U.S.
The Tempe, Ariz.-based airline said the work is now being done at its call centers in Winston-Salem, N.C., Phoenix, and Reno, Nev. The company said the switch brings 400 jobs back to those areas.
US Airways first announced the plan to bring the jobs back in April. The airline's contract with the unions that cover those workers in the U.S. required those jobs to come back to the country by Nov. 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Wow, call center. Now there's a career!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
US based airlines need to bring their mechanical service operations/overhaul bases back to the USA. It is a matter of safety and national security, IMO. We can thank the unions for them leaving. When will unions negotiate to bring them back?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,597 times
Private sector solutions are always the best.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM

277 posts, read 228,777 times
thats great 400 more minimum wage jobs for arizona and north carolina

meanwhile 395,000 new unemployment filers this week

Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM

148 posts, read 550,308 times
UNIONS oh hell no UNIONS nothing but bullies my friend in a union she hates paying her weekly dues Not all union members are DEMS> she lost her postion in side the store now she sits in a gas staion at giant eagles in ohio because her boss (lost the battery out of his jobs cell phone when she tried to tell him she wasnt ready for the exam and could she have a few days longer like the rest of the people who did
His excuse i didnt know my battery feel out
then she tried to get a hold of her union rep, the office lady was rude and told her the by-laws of the union Finally she went to her lawyer. Her lawyer told her what to say The union rep wa shocked that anyone would want to to sue the union
Union didnt get her job back ut told her she could reply in 6 months
OH YEA LETS KEEP SUPPORTING the unions NOT

Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Unions have come very close to destroying the American airline industry, the American auto industry and American manufacturing and Unions are a big reason why these jobs ended up overseas in the first place.

I'll thank Unions when they're nothing more than a history footnote in my children's text books.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Wow, call center. Now there's a career!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Marine 1967 View Post
thats great 400 more minimum wage jobs for arizona and north carolina
meanwhile 395,000 new unemployment filers this week
I'd like to remind you both that they are JOBS.. 1900 hundred more jobs then we had yesterday..And I highly doubt that they are minimum wage jobs either.. especially with the Union involved. AND! Because the Union is involved there will probably be benefits too!! That said, it could mean 1900 people getting off UI or, a second job for a struggling family that may well keep them from being homeless.
BUT ABOVE ALL!! it is, as I stated, A START....

(gets off soapbox and strides away muttering to self "Of all the ungrateful...they probably have jobs..I can't believe the gall of some people!")

Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Unions have come very close to destroying the American airline industry, the American auto industry and American manufacturing and Unions are a big reason why these jobs ended up overseas in the first place.

I'll thank Unions when they're nothing more than a history footnote in my children's text books.

Boy, can I agree with that!!! But, the Union, just like the government, is made up of people! These people in both the government and the Union are, for the most part, elected. In the beginning the American worker just wanted to be treated fairly and paid a living wage...the Unions made them think they could have the whole pie and for awhile they delivered. What I put to you tho is who really got greedy??? The Union or the Union member?? I say both and with this knowledge and the after effects lets work with business in a fair and equitible manner. Of course I would expect business to do the same..

Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I'd like to remind you both that they are JOBS.. 1900 hundred more jobs then we had yesterday..And I highly doubt that they are minimum wage jobs either.. especially with the Union involved. AND! Because the Union is involved there will probably be benefits too!! That said, it could mean 1900 people getting off UI or, a second job for a struggling family that may well keep them from being homeless.
BUT ABOVE ALL!! it is, as I stated, A START....

(gets off soapbox and strides away muttering to self "Of all the ungrateful...they probably have jobs..I can't believe the gall of some people!")
Your thread starter heralded the effectiveness of the unions. The jobs never should have left in the first place and it was probably due to the unions that they did so.

That being said, I chuckled at the part in parentheses so thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies