Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
First of all, the benefits may increase, but are not linear. For example, 1 person can get a maximum of $200, 2 - $367 (a $167 increase), 3 - $526 (a $159 increase), 4 - $668 (a $142 increase) and so on. Also keep in mind that these amounts are monthly. So at the 1 person to 2 person step, you're looking at an extra $41.75 per week for the additional person. This is very reasonable...especially if you want to eat healthy foods (fresh produce and meat prices are through the roof).

Second of all, the 'household' can consist of anyone living under the same roof....not just children.

And thirdly you should be complaining about supporting the US military, not poor people buying food. 30% of federal tax revenue goes to the Defense Department; while a measly 4.6% is spent on food stamps.

It's going to take a lot more children to catch up with the other ways that the government is spending your money.
well said. Good to see actual facts here. Amazed at the rage for impoverished Americans here, yet as u mention, military spending and Wall St get a free pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Saying... "No, we're not married" is free, last I checked.

20yrsinBranson
Very true; which is why I'm 32 and childless!

However I will say that my lack of sex really made my life lonely and sterile. Hopefully that stage is behind me.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wrong and deliberately deceptive on all fronts. The multitude of welfare programs include more than just food stamps, and the 30% figure you quote is the percentage of discretionary spending, which is only 1/3 of the federal budget:

The actual facts:

Social programs spending (at least 52% of the budget, if not more) is the bulk of the federal budget. National defense and security is only 21%:
They also spent over 300 trillion $$$$$$$ in bankster bailouts. Id rather that money went to feed poor Americans, silly me

Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
'Discretionary spending' is most definitely not all spent on social services!
No, it's not, but at least 52% of the entire federal budget is spent on social services. That's more than TWICE as much spent on national defense and security.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
They also spent over 300 trillion $$$$$$$ in bankster bailouts. Id rather that money went to feed poor Americans, silly me
As I recall, most Americans were AGAINST the bankster bailouts and McCain, Obama, and many others voted FOR them.

Since you're all for welfare handouts, answer this...

With a birth rate of 3 to 1 (those who receive public assistance to everyone else), how much longer do you believe taxpayers will be able to financially support the exponentially growing welfare-dependent class?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Answer: as long as we are fighting four USELESS wars, and military isnt brought home, we can afford to feed children in America. I personally do NOT want to be citizen of a third world country that looks like Mexico- ever been there? barefoot children begging for pennies...sorry but that IMO is an outrage...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Answer: as long as we are fighting four USELESS wars, and military isnt brought home, we can afford to feed children in America.
That doesn't even begin to answer the question. We could end all the wars and still have the huge remaining problem: The welfare-dependent class is growing exponentially faster than those who pay to support them because their birth rate is 3 times higher.

Again, the question is...

With a birth rate of 3 to 1 (those who receive public assistance to everyone else), how much longer do you believe taxpayers will be able to financially support the exponentially growing welfare-dependent class?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
No, it's not, but at least 52% of the entire federal budget is spent on social services. That's more than TWICE as much spent on national defense and security.
This thread isn't about the entire social service budget, it's about food stamps. How much of the budget is spent on that??

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:

That amount also includes Social Security and healthcare programs like Medicare/Medicaid/CHIP so of course it will be high. This thread is about foodstamps which take up WAY less money than SS, Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP.

That said I do feel that the numbers in the OP are skewed a bit. It says 35.7% white Americans, 22% black Americans, and 10% Hispanics. That leaves over 30% unaccounted for. I don't believe that Asians and Native Americans make up that other 30% since it is statistically impossible. I would bet that the 30% are the illegal relatives of the American born Hispanics.

And really I don't buy that bull about producing documents. My son's SSN was stolen by an illegal immigrant to get Medicaid, causing my son to be dropped from our insurance because they said we couldn't be on it since he was registered with Medicaid. I tracked down the county where his SSN was being used and found out it was a group of illegal immigrants who were using my son's social (he was 5 at the time) for their illegal 3 year old son and they even produced fake documents showing my son's SSN with this little boy's name on it. Documents can be faked and unfortunately many government agencies do not verify SSN in particular through the SSA to ensure the names and numbers match before providing benefits.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Food stamps are necessary so that America does not look like Acapulco, a one time "resort" that is for the wealty traveler in hotels, and you cannot venture outside.

InformedConsent , Im curious...do you travel at all - go to Orlando and Ft Lauderdale, see the conditions poor and homelesss live in there, then take a trip to Mexico and compare notes. You may get an education on civilized society.

America is not yet a 3rd world nation,(YET) its our duty to protect children and elderly. Call it a moral question, there is a reason human beings should not be treated like animals. Thats the country I will choose to live in, and pay more to do so.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-30-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies